Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '57 Chevy Stepside Advice Needed - Should I Buy it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaduro, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Chaduro

Chaduro
    from Peoria, AZ

I have the opportunity to buy this 1957 Chevrolet Stepside Truck. Seller is asking $3,000 but I have got him down to $2,500 over the phone after he thought about it for a couple of days. It's got a V8 in it but the seller doesn't know what size it is or if it's original to it and the only code he can find on it is: T802F. I am 17 and in auto shop at my high school. I live in Arizona which is a great state to live in if you like classic cars. He says there is no major rust anywhere. I really want a classic car instead of being just another person driving a beat-up Honda. I found this and love it. Yeah, it needs fenders and some TLC, but I love it. I'm just wondering if you guys can give me advice on what to pay for it (because I definitely do not want to get screwed) and if you might have any more information about the engine or car in general. I just really want a classic truck project that I can work on and slowly restore keep to give to my kids/grandkids when I'm older. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ac0j

ac0j

Go for it! If you love it, that makes the work worth while! Looks to be pretty solid. I think its worth it even if it doesnt run.

3. gerry miller

gerry miller

What more do you want?? Looks pretty solid . BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. donsz

donsz

I would agree the truck looks pretty good. Check the rear cab corners, door bottoms and door-tread for rot. Also check the lower door hinge attachment points for rot. From the pictures it looks good, the shut lines seem good and the hood appears like it aligns properly in the back. It's missing the heater (not a good thing in Minnesota, but maybe OK in Arizona). A used heater system with controls probably goes for a few hundred dollars. The headlight switch is missing and that may indicate wiring problems. The trim (grill, headlights, etc.) is paint - not chrome; and you may like that better. Assuming little to no rot, I would say for the money, this a solid truck to start with.

5. Chaduro

Chaduro
    from Peoria, AZ

It does run, thanks for the help so far. Any idea on what the engine is?

6. squirrel

squirrel

IT's a 3/4 ton, that's kind of expensive for a 3/4 ton in that condition. The engine looks like it could be a 283, from 59-67 it's really hard to say without finding the numbers and looking them up. But it really doesn't matter too much what year it is from, they're mostly the same. It could be a bigger or newer engine, too, it's just hard to tell by looking at a small picture....since you can put the older parts on the newer engines.

The thing about being a 3/4 ton is that not many guys want them, the rear gears are really steep, so you can't drive real fast on the highway with it. And it's harder to lower, or to find good lookign wheels and tires for it.

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

pass on it. look for a 1/2 ton with a big back window

8. Chaduro

Chaduro
    from Peoria, AZ

This is the only 50's or older truck I can find in my price range that runs/has a title. What would you guys say I should pay for it if it's my only option? Or should I just move on and be patient? Either way, I'd still like to know the value of this truck. Thanks!

9. VTA53gmc

VTA53gmc
    from Ventura

I think it's worth the 2500. But offer the guy 2000, wait about a week and I will bet that he will take it. If he doesn't give him the 2500. That's a sick truck, u can drop another tranny in it easily and cheap so u can cruise faster on the freeway.. That would be an awesome project, and getting a body that is that straight is worth the money even without the motor!

10. brad2v

brad2v

Be patient. I'd pass on this one, being a 3/4 ton. You are in arguably the best part of the world for old tin. You shouldn't have to wait long. And, you are in a great position, you have cash, and all the time in the world.

11. classic gary

classic gary

gotta ask, what makes you think it's a 3/4 ton?
    All 5-6-7-8-9 Chevy trucks had 6 lug wheels, that's what i see in the pictures.
    My 2 cents, $2500.00 with a title? BUY IT. But make sure the title numbers match with the VIN tag on the "A" pillar. and/OR on the frame in front of the steering box.
    OOPS, I just put my glasses on, yup, 8 lug wheels. OK 3/4 ton.
    Still. Ya gotta change the rear axle anyway, put in a 8.5 from a mid 70's monte carlo/grandprix/elcamino,
    front clip it with a "G" body clip. and drive it forever...........

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  12. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Worth $2500, but saving a bit longer and searching a bit harder yields a much better project with much less work! Your call brotha!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'd pass on it for $2500. I've had a few of these trucks liked all of them. With what it is missing and being a 3/4 ton, its value is significantly less than that of a 1/2 ton shortie. I'd give $1000 for it and use it as a beast of burden, understanding that it's not going to be fast or stop well compared to a new truck. There are others out there. Be patient.

Devin

14. squirrel

squirrel

We don't know what you really want.....do you just want any old truck? or do you want a nice old truck? If you're going to use it for a work truck, this is a nice one, although I still think it's a bit expensive. Do you want to build a hot rod? or a show truck? if so, you probably want to start with a short bed half ton.

I paid $500 for my 57 one ton a couple years ago. It wasn't as nice as this one. I got it because I wanted a work truck, I put a later 3/4 ton rear in it, shortened the frame to the same length as a 3/4 ton (was 9 foot, now 8 foot bed). I also added a big block, and kept the granny gear 4 speed, and brushed white rustoleum paint on it. Mine has the same ugly wheels that this one has. But I have another truck that's a half ton and is quite a bit nicer....you probably don't.

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Around here (southern NY area) at that price and condition, that would be sold in 5 minutes. For $2500 you have a running, driving classic truck with no apparent rust-out. I dunno where you guys find better deals, maybe Az is loaded with these old beauties? Anyway, if it moves ya, I'd say buy it and start having some fun! Looks like you're only 2 rear fenders away from a complete fun-factory! If you were closer, I'd give you my spare fenders.

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

What trans ? Truck 4 speed? I see the headlight switch is not in it's hole left of the steering wheel. Several things on value is all the glass good? WS not chipped /scratched cracked. How does it run and drive? I realize that at 17 you don't have a lot of experience to check things out,but a short drive will sure give you some idea of general condition. As said if no rust cab corners ,lower door hinge area ,door bottoms,bottoms of front fenders etc.. that will make it worth more like what he is asking. Rust is a PITA do deal with. As far as the 3/4 ton axles I would think that finding 1/2 stuff on the cheap would not be too hard off trucks that fools have clipped lowered etc. That truck if in good usable driving condition would be a good start for a young guy just learning at $2500. Go drive it and offer $2000-2200 and see if he bites.Without actually seeing it in person that's about my best advise.
    EDIT: If I didn't already have 5 cars/trucks I would really think about checking that out my self as I learned to drive in a 58.

17. squirrel

squirrel

The choke goes next to the gage cluster, the headlight switch is off to the left further. The choke knob hole on this truck has been drilled over size.

The interior of the truck does look nice....they're usually hacked up. It has the 4 speed granny transmission in it, you can see the shift lever just barely.

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

squirrel : Forgive my memory ,what's left of it, Last drove that 58 back in 62 just before my Dad traded it in. Forgot the choke ,but where was the hand throttle ? Wasn't it in the center? Yeah pretty dang nice interior for 55 years old but a deduct for missinf ash tray.

19. squirrel

squirrel

The hand throttle was in the center, above the radio (or the radio hole).

I drove one of these trucks yesterday....I still don't always remember where things are