Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´m too dumb to know when to give up, I always thought that was a foult of mine....:eek:

2. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

yeah I get an Idea in my head and until I have proven to myself it wont work I keep goin and at this point the chrome has given me just enough decent results to outweigh the complete failures oops I mean learning curve

I wouldnt call it being too dumb I like to call it being too close to stop now:D

3. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Hey guys,

Has anyone of you had a problem with yellowing? It seems to take on a yellow tint after about a week and if left in the sun even faster. the part initialy looks good when it is complete but starts turning yellow after.
    Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

4. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

I painted a white metal flake Bike that now has a golden hue do to the clear yellowing talked to one of my painter buddies (35yrs Painting) says allot of the so called high solid clears will turn yellow he has a seperate clear he uses on whites and silvers its stupid expensive.

the silver has a perpensity to yellow anyway so combine a midlevel clearcoat and you have double the possibility. as we learned early on every step is as important as the last I would suggest switching clears or over tinting

5. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Thanks
    Its driving me crazy. The part looks great right after its done but after about a week or so it starts turning yellow. Here is the clear that I have been using.
    Sherwin Williams Finish 1 FC 720 as a mid and topcoat. Over here on the Big Island of Hawaii we are very limited with Paint supplies because of all the shipping charges to get the paint here. I wonder if somthing is not curing correctly or maybe I am puting the coats on to thick.

Thank again Let me know if you have any other thoughts:)

6. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

there could be two reasons for this, the first one is you are not letting the piece dry for 1 hour, or the air is too humid(I use hair dryer) and the second is the clear, if you can use Alsa chrome coat, this issue goes away...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0YP1zcShew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the advise. I would like to get the Alsa clear but the shipping cost to hawaii for hazardous material is $300.00 so I am hoping to find another solution. I didn't think about the humidity that could be it. It gets really humid out here at times. I also went back to the Alsa useres guide and they had mentioned that if you don't rinse off the part throughly after the chroming process that it may turn yellow in time.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help

9. UnreAl subscribed

10. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Clear is a huge issue.I use a proprietary issue so I can't give you pointers on where to go on that.BUT-another issue is the purity of your water when doing the silvering step.ALWAYS use a TDS meter to check your water purity.Rinse rinse and rinse again at each step of the silver.Any residual chemicals will cause yellowing.Make sure you have air filtration on your compressor and then add some more.Contamination from any of these sources will cause yellowing.

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

wow thats alot more expencive than bringing it down to Nicaragua :eek:

12. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I have been reluctant to talk about suppliers on here because I don't want to start some pissing contest (again).BUT- if you're going to try chemicals from a "spray on chrome" supplier try Cosmichrome.I started using another supplier with dismal results.I have been using cosmichrome successfully for a couple years now.I recently talked to another applicator who had also tried Alsa, he is also a Cosmichrome applicator and doing quite well.
    Marvin has been doing well experimenting with using other products so he's not tied down to the expense etc involved with these suppliers.That's cool but I'm not that patient.I prefer to allow others to do the R&D.
    But if you are going to try one of the suppliers, contact Cosmichrome through Gold Touch Inc.You can order a prototype package, which is a smaller chemical package to allow you to sample their stuff without a huge investment.
    Again-not trying to detract from what Nicamarvin is doing here.

13. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its ok with me, now I wonder if one could try the cosmic chrome clear coat? guys like Alsa and spectra let you buy separate items from their kits, allowing us to try their coating packages

14. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Cosmichrome sells individual items as well.The prototype package is everything-base coat, activator, silver chemicals, and top coat.
    They have great customer service and are good at answering questions and trouble shooting as well.As a materials provider goes, they are better than most.

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

thank you for this info Bulldogcustom, now that we have this info people can choose what coating packages work best, I myself will be testing them out in the future, now afew more question for you in the cosmichrome know how

whats the cost of a quart of their chrome tinted clear coat? for the Alsa chrome coat, they charge $60(without reducer/hardener) I have used SherwinW universal reducer and hardener and works for me. this alone saves me alot of money on shipping

I did this video for a friend having issue with his Spray On Chrome kit he did using my help, now the issue he is having is because he is not using the same clear I was using, so I told hime that if he follows the steps I showed him he will not have this issue again..

the pics from my friend in Argentina

[​IMG]

video
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6FJCpt1vESA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. 66cayne

66cayne

Okay, will do. sending you a pm with pics of dash insert. regards

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

?:confused:

18. ac0j

ac0j

19. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Yea, the shipping cost to Hawaii is CRAZY and that does not include the cost of the product.

20. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Thanks Bulldog, For the advise I will be looking into it and trying all of your suggestions. I have seen the quality that you produce and it is awesome. I hope to get that good someday.

Thanks Again for your help

21. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

[in the vid]do u need to use that much product?----or was he just puttin extra to make sure it was good?---

22. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I'm not sure the chemicals they use in the video but it's the same concept. The first guy is spraying an activator, then the second guy is rinsing the activator off with pure water (if activator is not completely rinsed from every crevice there will be contamination in the finished product), then the first guy comes back with the silvering chemicals. On bigger pieces like that door it is necessary to rinse as you go to prevent chemical staining from the silver nitrate.
    It looks like a lot of waste but it is mainly water being used to carry the silver nitrate to the surface. Once the 2 components of the silver nitrate mix a chemical reaction results in the bright silver finish that we're looking for.

23. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

are you talking about this video?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-PKJsZX1Lt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seems like I´m using lots of product, but its diluted in Di water, for the Angel gilding chemicals I found the perfect mix ratio, 2ml of concentrate(2ml of silver concentrate/2ml of silver activator and 2ml of silver reducer) per 100ml of Di water, for that piece I used 150ml of Di water and 3ml of the concentrates

24. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thanks guys---that question is answered

25. 66cayne

66cayne

Ha! page 19 on this thread. I am sending my dash insert to 'ramtough 63' so he can spray chrome it. He is building his business.

26. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Awesome,! :)

27. HyePo66

HyePo66
    from Visalia Ca

Nicamarvin, I stumbled upon the following from Eastwood
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Liquid-Chrome-Paint-Clear-Coat-Kit-/370645573485?forcev4exp=true

here is what I will be painting black base coat/chrome once I get the design perfected... still in design stage... hope to move to prototype soon.. Basically, I need to chrome all the silver areas of the dash bezel..

I actually plan to go into production with this item (for 66 mustangs that want 6-gauge bezel with the most OEM look)... anyone out there who does chrome paint in California wanna make a bid to do the chrome paint part?

LOL

No?... guess I'll keep tuning in to this thread to learn the trade.... :)

www.myrestomodmustang.com
    66 Mustang GT RestoMod Machine

Attached Files:

28. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

thats chrome paint, its different from spray on chrome, the best chrome paint could never look like real chrome, they look like polished aluminum, but thats all..

here check this video.. on the left spoon I used Innate chrome paint, and on the right spoon I used my spray on chrome kit

while both have the same prep(glossy black base) only the spray on chrome can look like the real deal
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KTCqMfzWt7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i stopped at the local napa store the other day , a person is advertising spray on chrome work , his ad is a spray on chromed stromberg carburator on a board with his ad an phone number , it was good in a way because i got to see the yellowing you have spoke of first hand , it is shiny but has a kind of gold hue to it , i wouldnt use the service just because of the yellowness of the display piece , i think over time it will worsen ,

30. HyePo66

HyePo66
    from Visalia Ca

Totally get yah.... I guess I'll just have to knuckle in and learn the damn thing.... My first attempt will be to cast the bezel in black... hopefully my model is smooth and shiney enough to allow the black plastic to be glossy when cured.... then I'll go from there...first trying to silver it w/o having to paint a black basecoat... and one with to compare.. (probably will cast plastic spoons to begin with).... looked into Cosmichrome but they are hella spensive....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.