Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overland info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, May 4, 2009.

1. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i have a 1919 overland...

2. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Oh, and Flashback Bill.... the VIN is on an aluminum plate on the rear of the frame on top near the passenger side spring shackle from what I was told :D

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Whining about how rare phaetons are, and then building a chassis and putting a 2.8 V6 in front of one is kind of an oxymoron...why not just buy the chassis Jamal is getting and use that, along with a more traditional motor, or at least an older inline 6? In my eyes, if you're going to complain about someone cutting up a car to make something rad, you'd better have something even more rad or in restored/original shape to have grounds for complaint...

4. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

He can't use my chassis. I'M using my chassis. lol

Now I just need to figure out how close the axle dimensions are so I can see if I can fit some ford stuff on it. >: )

5. brownington_bomber

brownington_bomber

+1.... only thing better than cutting up junk is cutting up a resto

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

J, you need to throw like 30 or 40k at that thing and restore it to its original $525.00 showroom condition, otherwise people might be mad at you...

7. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

It is high on my list of concerns. lol

Though I have to admit that if I had 40K to spend right now it would really go towards building the house. lol

Nah, this thing is gonna get chopped in half, the frame is gonna get boxed and sectioned enough to shorten the wheelbase just right, the axle, rearend, steering will be replaced with FORD, and the mill will be something a little different.

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

I might have a use for the stock front and rearend if no restoration guys want to buy them from ya...

9. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Believe me man, with the brake setup on here you don't want to have a use for it. lol

10. Overland cars were sold from 1903 through 1926, replaced by the Whippet after that. My Standard Catalog of Independents gives some data but there isn't even a production breakout by make for the Overland, Knight or Willys cars. No serial number info at all.

I'd say if you're going to toss the suspension you may as well build a new frame, if you keep the stocker, redo the stock suspension and keep guys guessing, but that's just my opinion.

11. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I'm not tossing the suspension, I'm tossing the axle/rear end/brakes/steering.

The springs and frame will be salvaged. Some boxing and cleanup, a modified ford front axle/rear end/brakes and some wire spokes and it'll be something different for sure. :D

12. Flashback Bill

Flashback Bill
    from PA

According to the Revised Parts List for Models 91 & 92 manual,

"The serial number is stamped on the left side frame rail approximately 18 inches back of the radiator"

I will add that the number is on the outside wall of the frame rail, which is the tire side. There are two, 3 bolt clusters in the shape of a triangle. The vin number is stamped onto the rail just behind the bolt fartherest toward the rear.

Sure enough, my vin number was there which identified my car as a 1926 Model 91 touring car. Based on loose production rates, it appears as though my car was made about 2 weeks before production ceased in mid May of 1926 since they only made 2,900 cars after mine.

Your car appears to be an earlier version of the Model 91 phaeton based on the huge hole in the fire wall. This was to accommadate a gravity fed gas tank. The later Model 91 touring cars 1925 & 1926, had the gas tank in the rear of the car and the gas was vaccum fed to the carb. Those cars have a solid fire wall, because there was no need for the gas tank to stick through it, hence no large hole.

From what research I have gathered at the AACA library in Hershey Pa today, it appears that the Model 92 touring cars were the more luxurious, more expensive models. They appear to be two tone cars with a nickel radiator shell, nickel windshield frame and nickel front bumper.

I will list a few serial numbers and info I have which might pertain to your car, if your vin is not listed and you send it to me, I will look up what year and model you have. With a clear vin number, you can apply for a clear title from a place like Broadway title for $149, with advertised turn around time of 3 weeks.

1923 model 91 4 cyl. vin # 1 - 133,200
    1923 model 92 4 cyl. vin # 1 - 17,841

1924 model 91 & 91A 4 cyl. vin # 133,201 - 240,271
    1924 model 92 4 cyl. vin # 17,842 - 27,969

1925 Model 91 & 91A 4 cyl. vin # 240,272 - 339,655
    1925 Model 92 4 cyl. vin # 27,970 - 29,294
    1925 Model 93 6 cyl. vin # 1 - 43,700

1926 Model 91 & 91A 4 cyl. vin # 339,656 - 364,569
    1926 Model 93 6 cyl. vin 3 43,701 - 88,999
    *ceased production fo Overlands about mid May 1926. succeeded by Whippet

I hope you can find your vin number on the frame like I was able to and the above information can help identify the year and model it is. I am curious to know if you find the vin number and if the above info helped.

Be cool!

13. To start with it has a wood frame not a wood chassis, the frame being the structural part of the body.

Until 1908 it was just the Overland company owned by standard wheel. Then it was purchased by John Willys. At one time they were second only to Ford in production.

Once you get oics maybe with some somrt of a mockup if it is laying around in pieces it will be easier to determin what era the car was built.

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I hate to break it to you fellows but the OP was banned a longtime ago...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

A member on this thread, Flashback Bill, mentioned that if an Overland VIN was sent to him he could look it up and tell what year and model it's from. He hasn't posted in about 10 years it looks like. Does anyone else have this information?

16. X-cpe

X-cpe

How garages get packed.