Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas guys!!! Your losing your rodding rights!! Act now!!! Read this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTW, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTW

JTW

This is what I was just told by Austin DMV... Is it true? I cant find anything on line to back this up....

May of this year the assembled vehicle and Kit car clauses were removed from texas registration laws. Its impossible to register these descriptions above now %100..PERIOD

The guys at AUSTIN DMV told me.... Some of you are aware and some are not, but Texas in their infinate wisdom inacted a new law which excludes any rods not using original motor and frame. PERIOD.... You cannot NEW title any home or professional shop built vehicles! Unless you are using orginal motor, frame, and body..100%.. they have stated they will not even recognize Speedway frames. The assembled vehicle clause was struck down. On top of that... If you have several titles to your lagit rods, but neglected to title them, you may now not title them unless you pay a $50.00 a month penalty since the aquired date...

So those of you that are in the middle of your speedway, or self built vehicle.... you CANNOT register the car in texas now... PERIOD!!!! Only Titled vehicles from outside the state, already titled, can be registed in texas.

I understand the thought about all the shadetree rat guys, but for even lagit period correct rods... you cant register ....

I have already called my state rep, if enough of us call, they will change this.... BUT CALL....!!!!! look up your state rep now. Those of you that even say no biggy doesent affect me, maybie the next law will. I dont know about you guys? But I am sick and tired of being told by DMV that my lagit 50s or 60s car is not a car, cause it doesent have some certain original part. I am sick of my right being taken away! This is a call to all Texas guys to join this fight and change this law.
    Any one have the contact information for the HEAD of the TEXAS DMV's... that would be helpful! PLEASE POST NUMBER so we can all call.

Everyone please be curtious and sound intelligent, it helps our cause way better.

Might be a good idea to also post the contact numbers of the State reps for areas, so you can see the number here... fo the lazy people...ha!

I would immagine that even Jessi James and his new Austin speed shop should be angry about this.

Forgive my typos... I was hot after hearing this. I have a business building frames and rod parts... so this struck at me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. Anderson

Anderson

The sky is falling!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. You might also post your source of this information that you warn about

4. JTW

JTW

Joke all you want this was done! Its not going to happen... its done. Hope you like your laws in your state...

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

do you know what the bill is called? this sounds like another one of those "dooms day" scares that we always hear about

6. JTW

JTW

Give me a second.. call your DMV..They will tell you thats correct.

7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Where are you getting this from, what is your source of info?

This is the last thing passed that I am aware of and I doubt anything has changed since then:

From sema.org

After an effort that stretched into two legislative sessions, SEMA-model legislation to create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles (including kit cars and replicas) and provide for special license plates was signed into law by Governor Rick Perry. Slated to go into effect on September 1, 2011, the new law defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The law also allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model-year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble. In addition, the law only holds street rods, customs and replicas to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title and exempts them from the state’s emissions inspection program.

For details, contact Steve McDonald at [email protected].

8. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Been more than a second...

9. JTW

JTW

For some strange reson the link in DMV still states these older rules.
    http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/custom-built-cars.php

Ive been on the phone with the AUSTIN DMV. They are the ones that told me this. If any of you have lately tried to go get your assembled vehicle titled, you got back a letter stating that you did not qualify. I have spoken to several entities woth DMV, and several individuals, they all state the same thing. If I am mistaken than apologies, but something is very wrong.

If I am wrong, then opologies, but at least check it out.

10. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

11. moter

moter

hmm...I have not heard a thing about this. Do you have a link to your information?

12. Before everyone starts taking their projects to the scrapyard and selling off all your parts, can someone post this "NEW" OFFICIAL Texas law?

I can tell you that you simply cannot go by information given from anyone who works at your local DMV. Sorry, but most of the people there don`t have a clue. I deal with them every single day.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

First Ive heard of this. As far as calling my dmv good luck, they dont know the'yre asshole from thier elbow. Please do tell where you heard this craziness.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is absolutely no truth to this. You were given bad information man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.