Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am/fm radio in a fat Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Aug 31, 2012.

1. I looked in search, no luck.
    I'm about to take the dash out of my 47 to install a new wiring harness. The perfect time to take out the original radio for future generations and replace it with a modern a/m-f/m radio.
    Have any of you guys with 41-48's put a radio in the hole the original radio came out of? I'm not going to cut up the dash, if I can't get one to fit in the hole, I'll mount it on brackets underneath. Thanks, Mike

2. badlefihand

badlefihand

Leave the original in place and install one in that big glove compartment.

3. Right! Give up my glove box for a radio. I'd rather have the radio underneath. At least I wouldn't have to pull over to change channels.....

4. I'm just going under the dash and learn how use the remote. Done.

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

X2- its what I always do.

6. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I carry tools in mine, so I personally NEED my glovebox. I don't have an original radio, so I'll be going with the headless iPod/amp setup like Ryan posted. There's something like this if you want to keep the stock radio. http://www.rediscoveradio.com/ I believe there are posts about it here on the HAMB.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. There are companies out there that can convert your old AM to an AM/FM and it will look the same as original. Can't remember the name but one is usually at Autofair in Charlotte.

8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

To my knowledge there is no "adapter" to fit a modern stereo into a 46-48 dash.
    The way the dash curves in that area you would need somthing to make that area flat.

Secret audio has a unit that mounts in a hidden location and uses a remote control to run everything. The cool part about that is the remote works through metal. You can mount the control unit anywhere and the remote still works. Plus the control unit is very small, like the size of a cell phone and it can run a remote cd player.

Leave the stock unit in there! It's part of what makes the dash in those so cool!

9. So this is it? Are we done here?

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Listen to the purr of your engine....

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

did the same thing in the wifes buick but dont have any pics yet.

12. Hey Mike,,,you dont need a radio in a hot rod,,,

13. Bob, I can't listen to all those voices in my head.........

14. Mike,just listen to the music of that flathead...

15. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

I used the 46 Ford "radio delete" plate and installed the new unit in that. Had to make a "filler" to allow for the curvature, no bigee. Why on earth are you removing the dash for a wiring job? Just nosey.

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto #8 !!!!!!!!!! My '40 is getting that same setup. As much room as those cars have under the dash,....Why remove it ? Run the seat all the way back, and slide under it!!

4TTRUK

17. SChotrodder

SChotrodder

I bought and stock radio that had been converted to am/fm at the autofair last spring but the guy didn't know who converted it. But there must be some one or company that will convert a stock radio.

18. The dash is coming out for two reasons. One, it will be easier to do the dash wiring on the bench than standing on my head, and two, I'm going to install electric wipers.
    It also gives me the opportunity to have the dash, and the window garnishes powder coated black.
    The window garnishes were chromed years ago, and the years have not been kind to them. Somewhere in it's life, the dash looks like it may have gotten a brush coat of gloss black.
    I did research, and there isn't much to pulling the dash out of a 47. Since all the gauges need attention anyway, it seems most logical to me.

19. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if Pioneer still makes the "Super Tuner"???...:D

20. Get a transistor radio and hang it from the mirror. I am not sure but I think real hot rods do not need or have radios that work. I would rather listen to the car noise which includes but is not limited to noisy lifters, a questionable wheel bearing, some squeak I can not find, leak in the exhaust, a whining second gear, a rattling window and various engine noises.

I do enjoy my own thoughts more than most radio chatter and songs.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You can get your original radio converted to AM/FM. The only thing that they keep is the tuner inside. I looked into it and was assured that a 2 piece aftermarket 6V radio could be converted to 12V stereo including a remote optional disk player.

I just did a quick Google search and came up with this company.http://www.taymanelectrical.com/stereo.htm

AM/FM conversion.

I know nothing about them. This is not a recommendation just a possible solution. There are plenty of shops that do this. There might be one local to you. I can't stand the aftermarket AM/FM sets that fit the hole but look like modern sets. JMHO

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have mine in the glove box.....can you say " remote control ". Only time I have to pull over is to find the remote.:rolleyes:

23. Now...This is a solution I really like! If any of you have ever seen the radio in a fat Ford you know how bizarre they look. It would be cool to have modern function in that deco radio. I'll start asking around. Thanks.

24. squirrel

squirrel

am/fm radio? modern? All the hep cats use an ipod or their phone for music, connected to an amp of some kind. Much easier to hide, too.

25. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I bought a nice radio delete plate for mine. I plan to locate the modern unit in the glove of a vintage tissue holder under the dash.

26. badlefihand

badlefihand

Been done for years.

27. 4t7flat

4t7flat

My 47 came with a modern radio/CD player in the dash. The PO made a simple polished aluminum panel,bent to fit the dash,and held in place with screws. He filed the opening to fit the radio with a tight fit. The brackets under the dash hold the radio in place. It really does not look that bad. Wish I knew how to work the radio. Out of my 4 rods this is the only one with a radio,and I never use it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  28. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I am the least technologically adept person I know (I just got rid of all my 8 tracks a couple of years ago), but I installed a carefully hidden head unit in one of my previous rides that has an MP3 input jack and bought one of those little ipod shuffles. They are only about 1" x 1.5" x 1/4" and hold plenty of songs for a long highway cruise. Only songs you like and no commercials. Still haven't done this in my '32 but that's my next move for tunes. I do usually prefer the sounds of the flatty when I'm driving but music is nice sometimes too.