Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coil overs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie S., Sep 1, 2012.

1. Louie S.

Louie S.

I have Coil overs on the back of my A coupe i just got, and it rides like a stagecoach. The rigid ride is from the rear, and i am not sure of the spring pressure. Can anyone recommend a spring rate that would ride good?

2. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

I had the same problem with my full fendered '34 coupe. Just put on 150 lb springs and they made all the difference in the world. They just barely kiss the bump stops every once in a while, but it is not felt inside. My shocks are vertical. With any angle to the shocks, I would probably go to 175s.

3. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The straighter it is the stiffer it will ride. If it is straight you can lay it over at a 20 - 25 degree angle and it will ride completely different. So how it is set up makes a difference in spring rate.

Alden shocks website used to have a chart that gave basic spring rate info for different cars

4. Vergil

Vergil

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I used a couple of bags of cement in trunk to soften ride on mine.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

never used more than 180# with any of my junk and they rode sweet.

7. before i made any changes ,i would want to know what spring rate and angle is on the car now? can the angle be changed easily? is it full fendered? where is the gas tank? is the rear suspension setup properly with no binding?

8. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

Also check to see if they're adjustable, the ones in my coupe have rebound and dampening settings, but just as the guys mentioned above, knowing the spring rate and setting up the angle is the first step. If you can find any numbers on those things you could probably cross reference them online and see what you have under there...