Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identify this Hemi intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrgrim, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mrgrim

mrgrim
    BANNED
    from Auburn, WA

I purchased this Hemi Yesterday. I looked for numbers on the block, but could not find any. The numbers on the head say it's a 1956 354 Chrysler. Can anyone tell me anything about this intake manifold?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. dvs28

dvs28
    from pacific nw

Early chrysler industrial.

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The intake should be casting number 1406828. They were used in HD truck applications. I would say that your engine has had some parts swapped around at some time. i.e., the intake and valve covers.

4. mrgrim

mrgrim
    BANNED
    from Auburn, WA

So as a total Hemi newbi, what valve covers would this motor have came with? Will this intake be worth anything to anyone? I don't plan to use it.

5. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

That would have Chrysler Industrial valve covers. If you don't want it, I'll take it. PM me if interested.

6. George

George

Hemi tech Index Start reading! Casting # is between the head & valley cover, pass side rear, dificult to read with intake on. Should be a use code on a flat in front of valley cover. I'll offer a $100 + shipping on the intake. IF it is a truck motor it would have plain valve cover & if it's an IND it would say Industrial instead of Firepower.

7. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Looks like one out of a mobil Generator. I checked one out at the van nuys airport once. Looked similar.

8. gatz

gatz

I have what is believed to be an Industrial 331, that was once used for irrigation. Another person told me it was a 354, but the bore measurements put it at a 331 bored .030 over. (337, I believe)

I looked in the usual place, at the front of the lifter valley for a s/n but there wasn't one.

However, in the front of the engine on the left (driver's) side is the numeral 1 by itself, then this series of numbers: 6714561 . I'm assuming that is the serial number of the engine.

Perhaps yours is in a similar location.
    BTW, anyone interpret the casting numbers shown? These are on the right side of the block.

Attached Files:

9. George

George

1619629 is a 55-56 331, probably IND.

10. George

George

T R Waters has reported truck use codes in that location also.

11. mrgrim

mrgrim
    BANNED
    from Auburn, WA

Thanks for all the input. I will have to pull the intake off tomorrow and check for numbers.

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would say that the gatz engine is a later 331 Industrial. i.e., the late casting number with the car type front face. My guess is that these block were orginally produced for the 1956 Windsor 331 polys, which only lasted one year. There is a good chance that this may have had a IND tag riveted to the block in the bellhousing area. (Near the dipstick tube hole)

13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The mrgrim engine could very well have been an original car engine. If you could, post a picture of the valve train. All 354 IND will have the large stem exhaust valves with rotators. The heads will be 1619823 for a car application. 1619823 (with big exhaust guides) or 1677441 for IND.