Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a wishbone mount, please help (with pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 383 240z, Sep 2, 2012.

1. 383 240z

383 240z

Im trying to mount my wishbones (all thought they are trailing arms at this point) yes they were split to clear my transmission. I have the castle nut to the outside for extra clearance. as you can see in this crappy pic. [​IMG]
    My first thought was to weld another tube to my trans cross member, making a K member out of it like this crappy pic. [​IMG]
    I would notch the mounting plate in pic 1 to the tube and then mount it to the frame rail. The tubes are 1.25" X 0.120" wall DOM.

My other option is to make a cross member like this good stolen pic: [​IMG]

I could mount the tie rod end bungs to the dropped portion (mine would have about 2" of drop. I would use 4" wide .250" plate steel for that.

Anyway, thats the best I can come up with, what are your collective thoughts? Keith

2. 383 240z

383 240z

Also the tie rod ends will end up lower than you see in the photos, I do not have the caster set on the front cross member yet. The nose of the truck MAY end up coming down another inch or two. Keith

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think your tubing idea would work, but I just question the diameter of tubing you are using, even for the trans crossmember. I would go with something at least 1.5 inches, and maybe even bigger. But I tend to always over build stuff.

Don

4. 383 240z

383 240z

Here is my 3rd option, if the geometry works out right.
    [​IMG]
    I think I have the bushing joints, somewhere in the shop (if not they are cheap enough). I figure with the 1" drop I need to clear the transmission and the tabs for the bushing mounts I should be at about the right place to keep about 7-8* of caster.
    Any reason tie rod ends SHOULD win out of these bushed ends? Keith

5. That is Workmanship!!