Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poor Mans Posi (No Welding Required)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DHD, Aug 31, 2012.

1. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

This one is quick and simple, sorry i didn't take pictures, I wasn't sure it would turn out as good as it did.

A very quick and cheap way to turn an evil dreaded GM Gov Lock diff into a nice working limited slip. A quick google search for G80 Gov Lock turns up pages upon pages of hate mail for these things, but it seems that the weakest link is the centrifugal governor system, it is tiny and when that thing swings out and locks it has a lot of pressure on it eventually stripping the gears off of it or shearing completely causing it to fall into the spiders and grenading the whole thing.

I removed the whole governor system, then opened up the crown side clutch pack and removed the lock ring and wave spring and filled the void with extra friction disks from another junkyard gov lock. I chose to leave the cam gear in, but I have read on other sites where some have removed it to allow for more friction disks. Once reassembled the assembly has a bit of preload on the friction disks at all times, and after a few test runs I have to say it works like a charm while still allowing you to turn a corner without any chatter.

The best part is that 10 bolt gov locks are cheap and plentiful, if it does eventually blow up it is easy to find another as they are in a lot of GM trucks from the 90's and up​

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

3. Subscribed... not...

Bob

4. thatcher

thatcher

Wow you old school hambers from 2008 and 2009 sure know how to get your post count up! Try appreciating info when someone makes the effort to share it!

5. Greasy64

Greasy64

I don't plan on running one of these rears. But ya never know! Thank you for passing on your research and info.

6. smarg

smarg

If thats you in your avatar with the huge beard shredding the bowl up. Rock on!

Post count up.. :rolleyes:

Good info here.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  7. Deuces

Deuces

That can also be done with Ford's 8.8 rear end... Adding more friction plates will stiffen up the limited slip rear end...

8. I apologize, it was late and I had a little trouble following the post content.. went back and read it again... a good post.

Bob