Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Legit low milage 40 Merc barn find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blmoore, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

If the guy is not going to throw out a number, then he really has no right to get offended if you offer him too low. One of two things - he is not wanting to offend you with what he thinks is a high number, or does not want to research what he has. Either way, give the guy a $1500 to $2500 number, but do not leave us hanging!

2. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

So??? Did you buy it?

3. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

was just wondering the same thing. i have this thread in my favorites folder so as not to forget about it.

4. Awesome car, hope you get it!!

5. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I'll bet he's dragging it out of the barn right now. Or maybe talking to his banker.
    Tom

6. zep058

zep058

He probably started at $5k and shot himself in the foot on the deal :) I do hope he picked it up for a good price

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

8. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This thread kinda reminded me of the scene in Christine where Arnie was trying to buy Christine from the old man. He said something to the effect of "No matter how much you are asking for her it isn't enough !" I think making an offer over the $ 1500 I mentioned earlier would be a lot like doing that same thing. It is just a starting point, nothing more, nothing less. :)

Don

10. The one thing I've learned after 38 years in the car business is that you can't be the buyer AND the seller. Do whatever you have to do to get him to spit out a price, and then let the games begin. He may say $1000.00 or he may say $20,000.00, but you need to let him tell you before you start offering anything. Just my advice, for what it's worth,

11. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

If you don't want to rip him off or get ripped off yourself, you could just bring a pricing book with you when you go to talk to him and come to a fair agreement looking it over together. ...then offer to trade him work for partial or full payment.

12. Tell us something guy....Did ya buy it or not.....

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

snore....snore....snore.
    granny was slow , but she was old . DID YA BUY IT ?????

14. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

The old man will want the BIG BUCKS... damn car has a heater and a radio. DELUXE!!!

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Hi BlMoore.Don`t keep us in suspenders.Whats going on?By the way.GREAT find.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. myktrans

myktrans

17. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Well guys sorry for the delay but I've been in mourning and couldn't bring myself to talk about it, ha ha. With that statement you now know that I am not the owner of a 40 Merc. I spent close to three hours talking to him but knew after 30 minutes he didn't really want to sell it. The first day he said, "sure I'll sell it", but thats only if he could get somebody to give him stupid money basically. When I went back I tried everything to get a number from him, any number, but he wouldn't. I finally threw out 5k and he laughed it off. Lots of talking and more trying to pull a number out of him and I ended up at 10k and still a laugh. He finally says 20k but at that point he knew I was done so I don't know if thats even serious. He is a typical farmer and in our area they very rarely sell anything. His brother told me the car was given to him by his aunt so there is some sentimental value. He said the car was perfect when he got it and just went down hill over the years. He also said they drove it in a local parade about 15 years ago. The motor still turns over and I think it would run. The brother told me he would talk to him and try to convince him to let somebody have it that wants to enjoy it before it deteriorates any more. There still is the possibility I will just have to wait, which totally blows!!

18. zep058

zep058

Fingers crossed for you. Just keep following up, you never know when the planets will align.

19. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not over yet. Be cool, keep following up, and don't be pushy. You need to demonstrate you're the right guy to take over stewardship of his aunt's car. You might be closer than you think.

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

If you do get it and it comes with an extra grille, keep me in mind via a PM. I have been looking for one.

Chris

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

don't bring up hot rodding it, if it comes up let him know you appreciate the original beauty of it and would like to do a father son project.....

22. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Thats funny because he told us a story about a guy wanting to buy it 15-20 years ago that wanted to hot rod it and he said if he ever sold it theres no way in hell anybody like that would ever get it.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sorry you didn't get it. While I can understand someone having reasons for not selling a car it makes no sense when it is simply sitting in a dirt floor shed, deteriorating more every year, and he doesn't even have plans to fix it up. What will happen is that it will either get so bad that no one wants it, or some scrapper will get it when this guy dies.

Barrett-Jackson has made every old car owner on this planet think their rusty hulk is worth $ 100K.:(

Don

24. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

well, crap. not the ending i was hoping for.

25. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That is at the top my list...cool that you were able to atleast locate this jem.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Dang. That thing is clean.

27. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Sad he led you on, unless he really thinks he can get 20 thousand.....at which point he needs to come back down to earth!

28. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

10,000 is too high for that car, it will need a full restoration.

29. sled

sled

Bummer,sad to see still sitting there and do nothing..obviously it will getting worse and worse..dreamers!!Too bad really,this one was incredibly complete ..

30. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

That's exactly right. The rich guys at the car auctions have done a lot to ruin the collector car hobby. The prices they pay are a joke.
    Also, it's your money, but there is no way the Merc is worth 10 grand. Half of that is more than enough. Others may disagree, but you are going to have a lot in that car.
    Tom