Register now to get rid of these ads!

Window Crank Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisbob12, Aug 25, 2012.

1. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Anyone know how to remove a window crank from a 1970 Ford Ranchero? Any help would be good. I see no pins, retainer rings or screws.
    Thanks. Bob,

2. fordor41

fordor41

try pushing the door uphostery in away from the handle. see if there is a retainer behind the handle. I use a thin piece of wood(1/4" luan) with a slot that will straddle the handle shank to get to a pin in my '41. the wood also will push the uphostery back..

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would think that would be held on by one of only two ways...........and I don't remember which.....but......it either has a center screw, possible covered by trim....or it should have the "C" shaped wire clip in a slot on the backside of the handle. Pin type retainers weren't used that late on Ford products.

If the latter, there are tools to release the "C" clips....the most common of which is a flat pience of metal, about 1 1/4" wide, with a squarish cutout in one end. It slides in behind the handle hub, usually from the handle side and engages the "C" clip and pushes it out, releasing the handle.

That tool should be readily available at a parts store but such a tool also could be fabricated pretty easily.

Ray

4. an easy way to get it off if it is a "c" clip type is to slide in a shop rag between the door panel and the crank. pull it around top to bottom, the rag will catch the end of the clip and pull it off. If it doesn't, try the other direction.

5. x2

best trick ever. I don't know why you would do it any other way.

6. Remove the aluminium center with a razor blade there is a screw in the center

7. rom828

rom828

Yep, there is a sticker that covers up a screw head in the center of the window crank.

8. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Thank you all very much. I thought maybe there was a screw in the middle of the crank. I'll try to remove the disc today and report back. Again thank you. Bob,

9. robertsregal

robertsregal

X3 on remove center sticker trim and mounting screw in center

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Or you could do like I do.

Just pry the piss out of the handle until it breaks then look at the back of the broken handle and softly say to yourself : Hummm so that's how it comes off.

11. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Noname hit the nail right on the head as how to remove the crank handle.
    Bob,

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Uhhhh....so did I, in post #3...........:D "...it either has a center screw, covered by trim or......"

Ray

13. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Ray,
    You right. Sorry Ididn't mention it sooner. Thank you also.
    Bob,

14. 47 years in the autoglass business, I'd like to think I've learned something!