Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What an Auto Parts Store should be.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump... and a request to be specific on business names and locations. Let's help out the good guys.

In the spirit of that, I will recommend the only do it yourself shop I am aware of, Hands On Garage 5757 N. Lovers Lane in Milwaukee. In the interest of full disclosure, the owner is a friend; but this is a great place, they rent out 2 post lift bays at .60 a minute ($36.00/hr), plus specialty tools like spring compressors, a torch, pickle forks and such for low rates. Clean, well-lit, etc.

While they do have a small parts area on premises, they only stock immediate need items such as oil, filters, muffler clamps, belts and the like, so I am slightly thread-jacking here.

2. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

Parks Auto parts in Charleston SC is good. Only place in town I can find parts for my old Dodge.

3. Smith Auto Parts in Visalia, CA is also a pretty good place to go. Good counter people and they can get just about anything within a day or so. They supply our shop. ;)

4. chevyburb

chevyburb

Hands down, Cook's Automotive on N. 4th St., San Jose. John, Joe, Ron & Kelley are Great. Have a great paint dept.

5. slammed

slammed

Back up top, more GOOD stores please.

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

One thing we have to realize is that there are more cars now than "the good ol days," and thus more parts.

i mean if someone walked in needing a part to a 92 (not 02 or 12) honda civic, would you immediately be able to rattle off the numbers?

b) Computers are an absolute necessity for a parts store these days.

c) Society sucks in general and that is also a LARGE part of the problem, but only part of it.

What is the solution? i have no idea.

7. slammed

slammed

Please post/tell of an existing good parts store. Keeping it tight to the OP intent.

8. That's not the point, I know we need computers to store the #s but if I walk into a store and ask for a genaric electric fuel pump to use as a "boost" pump the first thing out of the guys mouth shouldn't be "what year and model?" I want to hear "let me see what we got in back" and "Oh, by the way how'd the truck run on the lake bed last week?" ;):rolleyes:

9. slammed

slammed

Back to the top, because the the anti-parts store thread keeps rising from the dead. Calling on the boy's from Texas to add some more.

10. cuttinup

cuttinup

The Parts Connection, Cedar Park Tx. I always try to deal with Tom. The location has changed since 81 ,the first time I went in. But the service is the same. And they sell auto paint too. They have a location in Leander, and I think the Liberty Hill store might still be open.
    Yes I bought from Tom in 81 too.

11. Monolith

Monolith

Good to hear about a couple of good parts stores fairly local to me-I'll be bringing them some business.

Thanks for starting this thread, and looking forward to seeing you on the lakebed in september.

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Circle City Auto Parts. The store on Indy's southside in Greenwood goes WAY above to find all the old wierd stuff I need. The love a challenge! They have parts books and aren't afraid to use em':D

13. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

McGowan's Starter and Alternator (in business over 50 years!) 714 N. George St Goldsboro, N.C. 27530 (919)734-3381 ot toll free (877)734-3381 Auto-Heavy duty-Diesel-Tractor-Small engines HIT 'EM UP! fellas! Steve from NC <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Also Sellers Auto in Selma NC 27576 had parts books AND parts going back to 1927! They said that they can get stuff older then that but they have to "call a guy" Hit them up, they really know there stuff!:D

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Oh I can't believe I forgot little Dearborn at 2424 university ave in minneapolis Minnesota. Specializing in '48 and earlier fords, f series trucks, and flathead v8 parts. There isn't a single guy their who doesn't know these cars from top to bottom and If they don't have it in stock they will tell you where to get it.

15. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

A shameless, but true plug for the store.

Knight's auto supply, INC. (Napa auto), Walled lake, MI.

We specialize in paint mixing, our Novi store hydraulic hoses & Our Commerce store is the machine shop that my engine is getting worked on at.

I wouldn't take it anywhere I didn't trust.

16. Zekes Auto Parts (NAPA) in Taos. They've gone out of their way many times to help with odd stuff and a couple of their counter guys have visited my shop just to see what I'm doing. They have a machine shop, make hoses, etc.

17. The NAPAs keep coming.

18. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Yeah my choice preference order is: Sellers Auto, (support local businesses!!!) Then Advanced, they have about a 80% "dude at the counter knows how to do his/her job" rate. Then NAPA, they know there stuff, and can get LOTS of old parts, but they are like 10min - 15min drive PAST the first two.

19. Bump! anymore out there?

20. slammed

slammed

Kalifornacation has how many people? SoCal is the birth of Hot Rod? Where are the stores? TEXAS!

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Sellers' CarQuest in Diamondville, Wyoming. Prices might be a little high, but it's the middle of nowhere, and everyone in the store is most helpful. Not the least bit afraid to look in the old books for parts, and will have it the next day if available. Saturdays too.

22. I really like the Horseheads NY Napa Rod the owner is a Great and really knows his stuff also a Great place to hang out and bench race something you don't see in todays fast paced world.

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. dblgun

dblgun

Having been in the Parts House business for most of my life I think the following is required to be at the top of my list. I want a place where I can get a block bored, my welding tanks filled, some paint mixed and a "if we don't have it we can get it attitude". Never take a counterman for granted, he or she may surprise the shit out of you. If for some reason they don't know, school them for the next guy. If they are unwilling to learn they will not be there long, at least working for me!

25. slammed

slammed

Another bump, any more outta N.Cal-i-forn-ya?

26. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Loop Road Auto

Garner N.C.

Great guys, any of them can help with parts
    without a computer

and

They still even have the catalogs if need be.....

AAAAHHHH MAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ INGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ask for Mark or Easy !

Tell em Chuck sent ya.......

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Exactly! Just today, I went into Elmac here in town and asked if I could size a tstat gasket to ones they had in stock. It's a common gasket, fits multiple applications but this particular place doesn't keep the gaskets out with the tstats for whatever reason (theft?). At any rate, she asked me for the year and make etc and I couldn't believe the computers there went back to 1949 (maybe older, for all I know). These are the same girls who know how to pull a book and search the old fashioned way and have never let me down and honestly seem to enjoy the challenges I bring them with my old shit. Neither of them are over 25 years old.

28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

29. I guess we'll just keep complaining about the bad parts houses.

30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul