Register now to get rid of these ads!

Birthday Present for my Dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ssk875, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

My names Eric and i have always had a dream of buying my dad his dream car one day. Well i finally found it. Its a 1958 Impala, #s matching 348, what hes always drooled over at every car show we've been to. Me, and my mother bought the car a few weeks ago from a fellow member of the HAMB actually, a really great guy. It wasnt cheap but for what it is and what it means to my dad we grabbed it, and we're hoping to start on it within a month and do as much as I can do it by next Aug 17th. Thats my dads birthday and we're gonna try to keep it a secret til then and fix as much as we can by then. Im gonna need some advice on building 348's and finding parts i'm sure so any help there would be much appreciated.
    Well wish me luck and ill keep you updated as i go.

Attached Files:

2. Your Father is a very lucky man!

3. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

cool story. That's going to be a tough secret to keep.

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Shades of Ron Howard's 58 in AG ! :D What a great gift. How are you going to keep this secret ? I would be busting at the seams to spill the beans if it were me.

Keep your Pop away from the HAMB. :D

Don

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thing you are doing, it's funny how satisfying it is to give away something so valuable to someone you truly value.
    I gave my father back his hotrod 38 Ford coupe he built as a young guy, god it was great doing that.
    I wish I could lend a hand but alas I am somewhat 'distant' to you! So I offer moral support.

Doc.

7. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Always liked these from when I first saw Toad's.

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hey ssk875 - great idea, but how good would it be to actually build the car WITH your Dad instead of doing it FOR him.
    I don't know your circumstances, but if you live near each other, it might be the best thing you could do for him.
    Just a suggestion.
    Cheers.

9. Kustom_Galaxie

Kustom_Galaxie
    from Arizona

I agree with dad-bud. I say you build the car with him.

10. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

I also vote for the build with your Dad if it is possible. It will be a very memorable experience. CTJ

11. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Think of all that "quality time" you'll spend with him......plus you're gonna need the help!! Good luck with that build and keep us posted on your progress!!

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I say get it running then drive it to him on his B-day,then do the rest with him.--chuck

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You do know I'm your real Dad dont you?:eek:

I just wish we lived close enough so you could keep it in my shop to work on.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a fantastic idea, it would be great to spend time like that with ones father.......now I'm getting homesick!;):p

Doc.

15. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I too think you should build it WITH your dad. I built my first 32 with my son. Took about 5-6 yrs. It is a time I can never replace and I would NEVER sell that car. I goes to him to continue the memmories. He is starting a family next month with his 1st child. And hopefully he and I and maybe his son/daughter can build a car for him/her together. Memmories are always there. Collect some parts till his birthday and then give them to him and start your own memmories.

Good luck and have FUN !!

16. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thats GREAT ! what a good son your dad rasied