Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Transmission Guru's on the 4L80E.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Which Solenoid, controls fluid pressure to reverse ? Sluggish going in to Reverse. Or is it better to replace all four solenoids, and pressure manifold ? All pieces for $150 including shipping.
    Leaning towards', replacing all the solenoids while I am under there.

I already know, it is not the bands or converter.

[​IMG]

2. if you're gonna drop the pan, just replace all of it. make sure its not your reverse accumulator piston seal.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. Will the reverse accumulator seal, bleed of pressure making first slow to ingage at times ?

4. if the seal is hard or has a nick in it, it can bleed and make for a slow or mushy engagement.

5. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

Forward and reverse in an 4l80 are hydraulic only. No electrical takes place at that point. Low/reverse band and direct clutch on at the same time get you reverse. As mentioned above you could have a bad seal on the reverse band servo. Cracked rear servo piston, friction material worn off the rear band, direct clutch sealing issue and or clutch problem, low line pressure. How is the 2-3 shift? Direct clutch also comes on in 3rd gear. If its just reverse it narrows it down somewhat. Thats all i can think of right now....

6. bigdav160

bigdav160

Except for pressure control which is electronic. I'd put a pressure gauge on first.

7. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

probably the band lost it's friction material
    destroys the drum

8. On a 4l80e.
    Which trans line is the high side ? front or back line. Going to check line pressure, before I remove it to replace all the solenoids.

I think, it is the front line.

Yes! I have to remove it , as there is a nonremovable crossmember under it.

Attached Files:

9. Those are the cooler lines. U need locate the pressure port

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

to do the line pressure test you'll also need a bi-directional scanner to change the amperage of the pressure control solenoid to verify it's operation.

11. modeleh

modeleh

Would anyone out there have any advice regarding a 4l80e that drops out of o.d. after about 15 min of driving? OD will not re-engage until vehicle is pulled over and shut off and restarted, then od engages normally again. The shop said there were no codes on it and the pressures were normal. It seems like a sensor issue but I'm not sure what to replace, it talks to so many sensors. The knock sensor has been replaced, I'm wondering if it could be TPS related.
    I sure miss the old vacuum modulator days.

12. Google 4l80e droping out of OD
    http://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&ta...pw.r_qf.&fp=577e53bc82978f0e&biw=1600&bih=666

The link below is just one I found.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums/topic.asp?id=143300

13. Anyone familiar with Trans Go Valve body mod's.

I unbolted the valve body, very careful not to lose anything There is to be 8 total, 1/4 inch check balls. There is only 7 check balls.

In the pictures are there locations. Passage #37 forth clutch is not there.

The trans has worked great until a solenoid failed, that is why it is apart.

Is this missing ball part of Trans Go's modification they do ?

In the pictures is the location of the missing ball

Remember this is a 4l80e

Today being a holiday, I'll call the builder tomorrow.
    http://[B]www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm[/B]

Went back and looked at the valve body plate, and there are two passages welded closed.

Both thing's, that are strange, are in the forth gear pressure passages. One is marked pressure relief

Well I'l just have to wait till the AM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012