Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SPEEDWORLD news....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Below is a message that Max W. Wilson, Maricopa County District 4 Supervisor asked us to pass along in response to the petition “Keep Speedworld Raceway Park Open”
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting my office. Unlike what you have heard, Maricopa County can’t close this track down and wont. We have only asked him to keep people off all the grandstands & buildings that have never been inspected or permitted. We have been working with him for over 3 years on these issues. I met with the owner a couple of time recently and hopefully we can get him to make the track facilities safe for all so Maricopa County Taxpayers are not liability if something happens out at the track.
    Thanks for reaching out,
    Max Wilson

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

One more time for the ARIZONA guys.

4. broey

broey

Every time I read or hear something about speedworld it has to do with the owner seemingly blowing off anyone asking him to fix problems.. On the news, in the paper, wherever. I hope people didnt rally together over the weekend to save something that he easily could have taken care of by now. But is instead lining his pockets with cash.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Man, I'm with you. There are at least two sides to anything, this is no different as I could just as easily imagine some form of douche-baggery going on by the city managers. All I do KNOW is that I've gone to this track for as long as I can remember, and don't want to see it go away.

6. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

I got the same message sent to me. Like said, 2 sides to every story. Wonder what happened at the "closed" meeting today???

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I got a note that it was "canceled". I would tend to look to our county board of supervisors in the douche-baggery end of things. Being involved with the historic stuff downtown here, I have seen them do stuff that wasn't even close to lawful to get the end they have agreed upon. I for one will still happily sit in the creaky old stands. Could care less if it's not updated to the latest greatest safety first stuff. 'Course, I'm also willing to take my own risks and be responsible for my own actions too.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

See Chip, that's the kind of talk the board does NOT want to hear. Where's the revenue to be made if the lawyers and politicians can't get their cut?

Does that sound cynical?

9. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Those stands are far from creaky!! Old yes,,,but not in bad enough shape to be dangerous. The only thing I see about the tower building area is the steps going up to the tower are far from being to code. Way too short of a step & not deep enough. Definately needs replaced with the standard 7"x11" step.

But what the hell do I know,,,I'm just an old diesel mechanic!! First time I was at Speedworld (Mel Larsons Phoenix Raceway) was in 1967!!!

10. broey

broey

I just hope it all gets resolved soon. how much you wanna bet the rez builds a track next.

11. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

"Course, I'm also willing to take my own risks and be responsible for my own actions too. "

Wow!!! Did I just read that!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Which rez??? They already have Firebird.

13. broey

broey

fort mcdowell. they are building action sports stuff out there like crazy. I heard they were making a rally course. they already have like 5 moto tracks.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's always said, but Beeline still sits out on the Pima reservation somewhat intact...

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'M pretty much what the politicians and the lawyers don't want to hear! A normal, well adjusted, (Well...) human being that can intelligently say "OO, that's too dangerous" when something is truly outside my danger level. Only problem is, not many things ARE outside my danger level, so when I hurt myself, the first thing I say is "Chip you **^$%#@ idiot"! Pretty simple system really, but you are right, not of any benefit to proffiteers.

It just kinda bugs me that people are being protected from themselves to a degree where no one seems to experiance their personal limits to know what not to do. You and I have to live with the end result of their stupidity.

Naw, I agree, They aren't creaky. I happen to love them. They actually remind me of when I was a small kid and fell through a similar set at Minnesota Dragways in the late sixties. I learned not to do that again! But I bet someone who is used to sitting in the spotless confines of say the Diamondbacks ball park would think "Gee, I don't know, I could fall through the cracks". And I'm sure after reading that note at the top this is one of the things they are upset about. And, I have personally run at top speed up those steps a few times to hand notes to the announcers at the Nostalgia Drags and miraculously still have both my ankles. I know it's crazy talk, and I'm preaching to the chior, but it comes right back to personal responsibility...

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Mary Rose Wilcox just got a cool million for her "hurt feelings" thanks to Sheriff Joe, maybe she will provide seat cushions for us to put on the creaky stands also some misters would be nice. :rolleyes:

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know, as jaded as I am with government, I have a feeling there's more to this story than we're hearing. I hope a lot of well meaning, old timey dragstrip fans aren't spinning their wheels over something unnecessarily.

Oh...Mary Rose Wilcox needs all the seat pads she can get after that crazy bastard shot her in the ass.

18. MilesM

MilesM

This should not be an issue as it is a restricted area not accessable to the general public.

Chip, I remember falling through the stands of the local dirt track when I was growing up. It should be mandatory for every kid!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's what that is about! I had an out of state friend ask me about that this morning, and I hadn't heard of it... Now that special in the center of my forhead is begining to get big and throb!

An extreme example of a poor shot in my humble opinion...

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ