Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustom Packard Convertible .... stretch or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48cad, Aug 24, 2012.

1. 48cad

48cad

I finally put a little time in on my own car. A Packard 115 convertible coupe. The chassis is almost done, just dialing in the stance a little bit. Got me a little 331 Caddy and a pretty cool intake for it. Motor and trans are in and mounts made.
    I started thinking about stretching the rear fenders about 15 or 20 ". I bent some rod and welded to the fender to give me an idea for mock up. I thought it would be cool to make a custom Packard convertible taildragger. Now I'm not sure I like the fenders stretched?? Something seems out a whack. I think I'll have to walk around it a couple days before I decide. What's Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I think that the amount you have them stretched conflicts with the curve of the rear curve of the trunk area. Maybe not so much on the stretch.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no. looks OK on the side profile but hanging out so far past the end of the body is wrong.

how come nobody builds a car with stance anymore?

4. Leave the rear fender alone and keeping going with cleaning up the body. I would look at some westaguard cars from years past since you are running a early caddy motor. I have a stock grill for that car this is for sale.

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I vote no on the stretch. It looks cartoonish and doesn't help the flow at all.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Too long...shorten it a bit...too pointy...round it some...make it look like Packard would have designed it...

A Packard tail dragger is kool...bet you've never seen my '40 Stude tail dragger, eh, Chris...???

R-

Here:[​IMG]

Who cleans your shop...??? You must have a whole team of people come in and clean up after you...I've never seen pix of your shop dirty or dusty...!!!

7. 48cad

48cad

As I stare at it, I probably went a bit overboard. I'll give it a another shot and shorten it up later when I have time and re-evaluate. I'm the one that is always preaching about cutting shit up and modifying just for the hell of it. Don't do it unless it accentuates the Look of the car.

8. 48cad

48cad

Never saw it Roger. Looks good. Missed you and Dan at Salina.

That was my first attempt at the rear fenders, I'm sure it will take about 143 more before I get it where I'm happy.

9. Blackie

Blackie

The proportions are wrong. That's a big car to begin with and the extension of the fenders is too much in my opinion. My thoughts on that particular body (I'm quite familiar as I have been involved with one over the last couple years) is not the fender but the bulbous tail section (trunk). Looks to me like you have the makings of a very tasteful custom so please keep the restraint that it's begging for.

Sent from a pay phone

10. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Garage mates. 1930 Ford Model A Roadster Hot Rod and 1937 Packard Six 115C Convertible Coupe.

(o[]o)

Attached Files:

11. john walker

john walker

also, the rear curve of the skirt looks wrong. it would look better shorter and more rounded so it doesn't follow the fender line so much.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The extended rear fender appears too big. it's way out of proportion, conflicts with the curve of the trunk and overwhelms the flow of the car making the front fender look too small - especially without hood sides. Plus the rear fenders make the car look like it was sectioned too much. Are you trying for the 1937 Lincoln Zephyr stretched look? To do it right you would have to extend the entire rear trunk lid and rear body of the car.

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Agreed. It's a good thought but you went WAY too far out with it. Somewhere midway between the stock and what you have there might look good.
    Beautiful car, by the way. I love Packards! (Never owned one, just really like them.)
    Can't wait to see your car finished.

14. 48cad

48cad

This is why we mock stuff up. What seems like a good idea in your head sometimes turns into a turd when you see it in reality. I still believe that I will stretch them a little. I believe Blackie hit it, its the "bulbous tail section" that disturbs me.

"Who cleans your shop...??? You must have a whole team of people come in and clean up after you...I've never seen pix of your shop dirty or dusty...!!!"

Sorry missed that Roger. One of my peeves. Every nite the entire shop gets swept out and mopped, all tools are put away. My guys know how I am about that. How do you think it reflects on your work if a customer comes in, and sees your shop in utter disarray?

15. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Match the flow and wheel opening of the front fenders. IMO

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^This. I think maybe 6 inches shorter on the extension and reprofile the skirt and you will be pretty close.

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I thrive on chaos, when my shop looks like yours I'm not getting anything done. Customers walk in to a mess I tell them Sorry for the mess but nothing gets accomplished if without making a mess.

18. Thank you....I was wondering about the stance too.Well he said he is still working on it so im curious to see the finished "stance".

19. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

It'll look good if you stretch the trunk and tailpan to match

20. 48cad

48cad

What about the stance? I'm in the ball game now, it has just a slight rake. I'd like it to sit level or slightly nose high if anything. I should be able to get what I'm after fairly easy.

21. donbatey

donbatey

Don't do it, the car looks great without the fender stretch.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm in for another big NO.

Brian

23. Needs to be less, 6-8" would be best.