Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let the stupid questions commence!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HawgHead, Aug 18, 2012.

1. HawgHead

HawgHead

While waiting for my T coupe project to arrive from Idaho, I've been studying everything I can find about building a traditional hot rod. It seems that to some, building a hot rod means strict adherence to the way they were originally built in the fifties. However most are willing to change things a little especially where change equals better. (better looking, safer, more comfortable etc.)

Rear suspensions is where you find a lot of deviation from the traditional transverse leaf with wishbone and banjo rear axle. There seems to be a plethora of different systems all with their pros and cons. Now for the first of what will be many dumb questions as I tackle my first hot rod. (I warned of this in my intro) How come you don't see any parallel leaf spring rear suspensions in hot rods? Now when I say hot rods I'm talking early hot rods (A's, T's coupes and roadsters) I know a lot of the 40's and 50's cars used them.

Seems to me the parallel leaf spring rear suspension would make a great rear suspension, especially when trying to keep costs and complexity to a minimum. It's a time tested system (used on cars from the beginning to the present day) simple (a couple of spring hangers, no panhard bar) and almost invisible when viewing the car.

Thoughts?
    Scott

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Parallel leafs (including 1/4 elipticals?) were popular with stock car racers, and I seem to recall Chassis Engineering or Posies, or someone who made kits to convert 32 Ford frames to that design. They also ride a lot nicer, from what I've been told. Or you could just get a vintage Chevy! Gary

3. Rem

Rem

Model T and A chassis end above the rear axle, so would need to be extended rearwards to accommodate parallel leaves. Even if you did that, the extensions would propably stick out behind the rear of the body, spoiling the clean look of the rear.

Part of the appeal of these early Fords is the graceful lines of the rear spring - but that's just my opinion.

4. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I've built & driven a 23-t & a 26-t. After market original in the 23 & coil overs in the 26. Both road very rough even with leafs removed or lighter springs. Road in a 27-t that had a front spring in the rear & it road pretty comfortable. Also know that Speedway makes a set of half leafs that are traditional & that guys say ride nice. The front spring in the rear would be the cheapest route.

5. There it is.

6. Yep,It's a lookie thing as is a lot of our hobby.......Form over function if you will.

7. 117harv

117harv

Yes, well stated.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

To me part of owning and driving an old car is experiencing what it felt like to drive them and ride in them. And as others have stated it's often more about form over function; what looks cool trumps creature comfort for me.

I'm all for safety, but if I want comfort I'll take my wifes Escalade for a drive, but that's just me.

9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It depends on the brand- my '31 Chevy has parallel leaves front and rear.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Everybody but Ford used the parallel leaf spring system at one time or another. The reason you don't see them under Fords is a) Henry Ford was one stubborn old bastard and b) if you want to change a Ford, there are easier options than parallel leaf springs.

That's not to say it hasn't been done. In the mid sixties Tex Smith of Rod & Custom magazine built a 34 Ford touring with Olds V8 and parallel leaf rear suspension. But that's about the only one I can think of offhand.

11. HawgHead

HawgHead

Thanks for the input guys, more grist for the mill.

Scott