Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Science behind winning Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbon maker, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

This 1938 Alfa I helped on the Metal Work, Body Work, Painting, Polishing that won Best of Show at Pebble in 2008 ...

[​IMG]

DID do a burnout on the 18th Green after the show...

[​IMG]

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The real expense is having the leather seats massaged with Oil of Olay by topless bikini models.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

But is it really part of the mustard family?

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

No one is jealous of anybody at my house, but really, how many skinned knuckles do you see at Pebble Beach? I think it's kind of funny.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Have you looked at the photos from the Pebble Beach event? Many awesome traditional hot rods.

7. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Went to the Pebble Beach show once (birthday present from wife), it was fantastic. Definately should be on everyone's bucket list.

Yes, its the playground of the rich and famous, and no, they dont work on their own cars.....probably dont even wash their own cars......

BUT they are car people!. They do spend money at restoration shops, they do save old classics, they do promote the industry and they do help with laws that allow old cars on the road. No reason to be jealous of them, they are on our team! :D

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Love all the cars. Glad someone is doing it. Have you seen any skinned knuckles on any of the owners? Funny when you think about it.

9. Actually the fella I worked for in the Bay Area didn't even drive his cars until i talked him into trying to drive the speedster. The you couldn't keep him out of them.

He wanted to wrench on 'em but we made him promise not to do anything if one of us was not there.

Funny thing was that I had the run of the shop/museum but I was asked to not come up to the front door of the house.

I liked him anyway, he was just funny about servants. He probably wouldn't give me the time of day today, there isn't anything that I can do for him.

10. tinmann

tinmann

Within the last ten years, one of the rod magazines (American Rodder, maybe) had an excellent article on building a radiator from scratch. The guy used German Silver for the tanks. The way it was written made you think that it was no big deal to source it out in the appropriate gauge thickness. Not so, I've learned. I'm a high school Metal Shop teacher and I've asked my suppliers if it's something they can bring in for me. They look at me like I'm asking for rocks from Mars. Anybody? Anybody?

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I don't look at men's knuckles. I look at the cars. LoL.

12. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

So snobbery is not just for the rich?

Who knew.

Class warfare at its worst.

13. cracker head

cracker head

I have never taken a second look at cars like ya'll are refering to until I had the opportunity to see Pebble Beach cars in person. The detail and the history of these fine automobiles is something to behold.

I LOVE old cars, period. Fuck drama....

14. Nominal

Nominal

15. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I've got too much of my own shit to worry about to spend time worrying about what someone else does with their money ... but I gotta admit CurbFeeler has had me laughing with every post.

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

How long til this thread gets locked?

17. Well Said..

18. Hot-Rod-Garage

Hot-Rod-Garage
    Alliance Vendor

We did this 1930 Packard 734 boattail this year and just got back from Pebble, I will admit being unsure when asked to do the restoration, but after thinking about it, We LOVE working on vintage cars and do whatever it takes to keep my shop busy doing quality work, My guys in the shop poured their hearts into this project even though it is not a traditional hot rod, and we all enjoyed the chance to restore a special rare car to the highest level. our customers weathly or not just want someone to do their best work and treat them fair, if you do that, they treat you with respect and pass more work your way.
    We did not win but had a great trip and saw some of the most rare,amazing cars ever built.

Besides a 30 Ford had 40 hp and this thing had 140hp, thats a hot rod in my book.

Attached Files:

19. skywolf

skywolf

Not much different to a screen printed black t-shirt ?

20. Hyfire

Hyfire

Great looking car! Beautiful work!

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

:D

shhhhhh don't give them ideas, someone needs to drive something with a big block and fender headers into the parking lot and light up the tires, they would grey pupon their pants

22. tjm73

tjm73

My Father and my Uncle ('31 Auburn Boattail Speedster/ '11Selden 40R Varsity Speedster respectively) both came home with 2nd place trophy's the same year ('97) in their respective classes. Neither went to such unneeded lengths to restore 2 very rare cars to a winning level.

Both cars were painted by my Father's (at the time) auto body guy in his Ford dealership. No paint booth. Both cars were restored in the garages just outsid ethe modest homes they lived in with their families.

You don't have to spend crazy money to get invited and come home with a trophy. Two members of my family beat a lot of people that spared no expense to restore their cars.

My uncle's old car.... http://www.flynwheels.com/gallery.asp?id=4

Can't find anything easy to show for my Dad's car.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm glad to hear that, there seems to be a disproportionate number of snobs to car guys there

24. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

At the risk of sounding like Rodney King...can't we all just get along and agree that craftsmanship should be appreciated? I am not into low riders...not my thing...but I can agree that lots of time and effort went into them.
    The craftsmanship that went into concourse cars is respectable. From what I am reading a few hambers had a hand in building some of these cars.
    Old cars are old cars. Yes there is pride in building it yourself, driving it all over and enjoying the car that you built. However that being said, old cars are still cool. When that old VW was posted on here and people dug on it. It was cool to see the detective work that went into the building of that car. I wasted a sleepless night reading it. The preservation of these cars is respectable. They are works of art. If some one cannot do the work at least they are paying the shops of our friends to do the work allowing them to feed their families and finance projects we all like to see.

I will be the first to admit I wasted an afternoon looking at Pebble Beach photos just because I like cars. My ideal stable would be diverse collection of old and modern classics.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Oh I think the cars are great, the issue is with some of the snobs who own them, It's not just there, it's the guy at the fancy show with the manicured nails who brags about his car, and building it, and you know he's never gotten his hands dirty. Thumbs up to the guys who build cars like this and REALLY build them, not just pay someone else to do so, if you pay someone to build your car at least admit it, don't act like you did and you can't even identify a wrench

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Personally I never check out other guys fingernails, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just go to car shows to look at cars. Bob

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

hahaha, I was making a point, you can tell right away who never works on cars and who does, I take pride in all the grease and dirt under my nails, lol when the Doctor gave me my IV he said you're a mechanic aren't you? I can always tell because you have permanent stains on your hands that never go away,reverse is true for those that never have turned a wrench on their own cars

28. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

You have a valid point. Posers suck. We have a "car club" in our town of greasers who give you shit cause your cuffs are not big and you don't have grease in your hair... The irony is they drive kias and don't even have real cars.... You run into assholes everywhere you go. Why let em wreck your good time checking out solid craftsmanship? The only difference from an asshole claiming to build their kustom and one who claims to have built their bugatti is the size of their wallet. We all know they are fulla shit. I will not let some assholes control me into not enjoying some nice cars. I'll just laugh about em later. Think about it. They had to lie to impress my low buck ass. Thats some funny shit.

[/B]QUOTE=lostforawhile;8093524]Oh I think the cars are great, the issue is with some of the snobs who own them, It's not just there, it's the guy at the fancy show with the manicured nails who brags about his car, and building it, and you know he's never gotten his hands dirty. Thumbs up to the guys who build cars like this and REALLY build them, not just pay someone else to do so, if you pay someone to build your car at least admit it, don't act like you did and you can't even identify a wrench[/QUOTE]

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, the irony is so thick here I just can't stand it.

mike1951, please go check out lostforawhile's profile and report back. :)

30. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

MY point was this....The guys who drive "Kias" don't work on their cars, don't modify them, they do nothing.....they just dress like they do...it's the equivalent to taking a file to your shoes to make ollie holes to pretend you skate....Lost wrenches on his own vehicle irregardless of what it is, he still built and works on it.. Not sure how that qualifies him as a poser. MY point was that Lost has issues with posers whether they be pretending to build their kustom...(seriously how many stories on here have we read where guy A catches guy B pretending to have built car that guy A really built?) or the guy with the Bugatti who says he built it and you know he is fulla shit.

People on here respect Jay Leno because of his knowledge. Even if he has money and mechanics on staff to maintain his fleet, he still knows his what he is talking about..
    Yes it's funny that lost drives a hybrid jap car that he pieced together out other cars....and I was calling out "greasers" driving imports... But it was not because they were driving imports, it was because they were posers pretending to be what they are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.