Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Dodge truck engine size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8SECONDSS, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 8SECONDSS

8SECONDSS
    from HAWAII

I just bought a 47 Dodge truck and wanted to know what size and year this engine is. The engine number is T30624604. Also can you recommend a parts shop for brake parts, window seals, etc. Thanks, Greg

2. birdman42

birdman42

What make is the engine?and some pics would help.

3. What is the length of the engine - measured from front to rear on head?
    23" or 25"?

It might possibly be a 218 c i, but am not a pickup expert.

The old Dodge P U experts are found over on the Pilothouse Forum, a
    division of the P15-D24 Forum. Here's a link: http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Pictures would be a good thing.

4. My '48 had a 218 in it, for what that's worth.

5. 8SECONDSS

8SECONDSS
    from HAWAII

It's a dodge flathead 6. I have a pic but don't know how to post it.

6. 8SECONDSS

8SECONDSS
    from HAWAII

It's 23 inches

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

There is a plug in the cylinder head above #6 cylinder, Pull it, insert a piece of stiff wire (at least 7 inches long) turn the engine over by hand, (pull the plugs to make it easier) measure the distance the wire moves as it rided up and down on no 6 pisto.

4 3/8 = 218, 4 5/8 = 230.

Lotsa sources for parts, clesters make weather strips and other rubber parts, Kanter has brake and front end pieces. But before you spend a lot of money rebuilding the front brakes, you might want to consider switching to discs. For about the same money you get improved performance and easier replacment next time. Contact Olddaddy of this site or consult his web page www.rustyhope.com , he sells brackets and provides a parts list for the conversion, there are others but Charlies is the most resonable, ad his customer assistance is top notch.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  8. R Pope

R Pope

There's a flat milled spot on the block, up front passenger side, just below the head surface. The model and cubic inches should be stamped there.

9. 8SECONDSS

8SECONDSS
    from HAWAII

Thanks guys for the help, and I will contact Charlie

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I been playing with mopar L 6's since 1963 and have never seen ay number that you are refering to got a pic?? On the drivers side above the genny is the number he posted, That number starting with a T is definately a truck number P for plymouth D for Dodge car, S for desoto, and C for Chrysler, displacement is never a part of that number.

The number sequence can be looked up and the size of the rane determined but not just by looking at the number.

11. 56C3B6

56C3B6
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY

According to the book "Dodge Pickups" by Bunn and Brownell. The T306 prefix is from a '51-'52 1/2 ton pickup. A 218 as others have stated.

12. 8SECONDSS

8SECONDSS
    from HAWAII

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know