Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T?.........skateboarding and rods.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loggy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Skateboarding was a big part of my middle and high school years. All i wanted was to get sponsored. Hah i dont think i was even close to being good enough for that, but skating brought much excitement. From time to time i like to get back on it, im just waaaay more careful these days. Aah, the good days!

2. Fell in love with long boards last year, probably because I didin't fall off. I can't wait for summer.

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I skated hard from 1975 up until about 1983, mostly backyard halfpipes and drainage ditches. A few times a year I would get to go to a skatepark in San Angelo which was about 90 miles from Abilene. I think it has since been filled.

I recently dug out what is left of my old boards and posted them on craigslist. I think I am too old and brittle to start that again.

You will notice my Alva is "customized".

Rodney

Attached Files:

4. cm30

cm30

Skateboarding was definitely the main focus in my life, and like everyone else family,work and broken bones keep me away from it, but i do get out one and a wile for the old man Friday night session!

Attached Files:

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Please refer to post number six. . . which was made before you were even a member of the board.

Oh, snap.

I'm kidding around, so try not to get too intense.

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

My courier company in Oz was called Dogtown Delivery. Kind of says it all:D

Got my Alva deck, full trackers and some OJ's way back when and always loved skating big bowls and pools. Skated up until leaving Oz in 2008. Best bit about living in Australia was that no one gave a crap and a guy in his late 30's hitting the ramps or bowl of Bondi or Maroubra was just another dude ripping it up.
    Funny thing is since being back in the UK, about a year ago i dug out one of my old boards and decided to hit the local skate park about 1am when there was no one around. Was having the time of my life until a bunch of hooded nutcases decided to chase me out the place.
    Took up freeride/downhill mountain biking out in Oz and thats now taken over any skating. Just too old now, years of skating and BMX knocks the crap out of you if your doing it properly. Noticed i'm not so mad on a D/H bike now aswell, how lame. Getting old, fucking hate it!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I've always said that when i win big on lotto apart from a barn full of cool rods, kustoms and FED's, i'll have another barn with a huge wooden bowl in it. A place where an old man can still carve it up old school style without looking like a dick.
    Any UK rodders in their 40's would remember a place called Arrow skatepark in Wolverhampton. It had a huge wooden bowl and a gorgeous U pipe. I think i spent 3 years of my life almost living there and skated with their team.
    Back in those days i used to drive a Baja styled Beetle with a hot Scat motor. Oh the memories, what it was to be young and rad:rolleyes:;)

Happy days

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

I spent alot of years skating but had to call it quits do to my knees. I do enjoy suprising younger guys from time to time by grabbing thier board and doig a kickflip with it

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Collage a friend put together for me. The B&W photo is me in 1975 and the color shot is from 2009. That's "IZZY" who we bought through the HAMB Classifieds....
    [​IMG]

10. That's cool.
    I'm a closet fan of skateboarding anyway ... lol

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

12. Colville

Colville

Skateboarding really started it all for me. I wouldnt be who I am today with out skateboarding. Ever since '95 I have been a skater and will do it as long as Im living and driving hot rods. Like most I have a job, family and things to tend too but I try to get out and rip it up from time to time. It always makes me feel good. Only difference in back then and now, I pull up to the skate spot in my '53 Olds :) Heres a photo of me around 1998 I believe, good times rippin a board slide down a local hand rail. Cool thread!

[​IMG]

13. I was a skateboard nut in the 1970s. I still have my G&S board with my modified Xcaliber trucks. My step dad and I extended the truckes 1 1/2" on each side for the super wide track . I ran 70MM Kryptonic reds and it was all downhill racing for me. My friend and I had a buddy older than us who had a drivers license so he would drive us anywhere. We boarded down a ski resort road called Cyprus Bowl and he clocked us at 54 mph. This was in T-shirst and shorts!!! We were about 15 at the time and lived for speed. At the time Kryptonic reds were the fastest wheels. I still have the board and all the wheels and trucks. I also put Kyptonic 65s on my roller skates and did the same thing. Speeding down the mountain sides was our entertainment. On Sundays, we would get a Sunday Bus pass for $1.25 and skateboard down the mountain and then catch the bus up to the top and do this all day. Nights were our favorite times!!

14. Skated all through the 60's - then I got my first car and started skating less, by the time I was 16 the thrill of a Hot Rod killed any thrill of a skateboard and Never missed it.

15. spot

spot
    from usa

Started skating around 74 or 75. Still have my first board hanging on the wall of the shop beside one of my old beat surf boards. It has clay wheels and is about 6" wide and 14" long. Nothing like the urethenes & wide boards we got used to later on. I still have a box full of old trucks, risers, bushings and wheels. I stopped riding around 1995 after I got married. My last board now serves as a spare creeper.

16. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Skateboarding goes way back, I found this 1940s Skeeter skate this last weekend at a sale. It is being credited with innovating the steerable trucks.
    [​IMG]

17. Old school baby!

Attached Files:

18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

My sister dated (10 yrs) almost married the most famous Texas skater of all time Jeff Phillips
    They lived in Dallas after his death she moved too Austin. Here's a few of pics of them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345562941.742092.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345563066.911440.jpg

He was like a big brother too me taught me a lot gave me my first skateboard
    R.I.P Jeff Phillips. Here's a good Article on the tragedy here

http://garywarnett.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/the-jeff-phillips-tragedy/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  19. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

This skateboard is cool, neat find!

20. That's awesome! I still have my "Jim Miur Dogtown Triplane" with SixTrackers and Kryptonics on it hanging from the ceiling in the shop. I also just found a "Free Former" and a NASH board while curb shopping recently! Good thing that I got them before the trash man did!
    A long time ago I had a Free Former that I think my parents got from Sears when I was 16 years old.

When my dad managed a bowling alley that I worked at, I used the Triplane to get back and forth behind the bowling machines (it was a 40 lane house) and I eventually had my Dad one-foot kicking it along behind the machines back and forth between the tool / spare parts room too! He was in his late 40's at the time, so it was funny & cool all at the same time!!!

I still break out the Triplane every now & then and kick down the driveway and back when I'm in the mood. There's an indoor skate park near here that I have been dying to try too, and what's better, the owner tells me that there is a guy older than me that skates there regularly (I'm 51!).

See you there!!!

21. wallyringo

wallyringo

skateboarding was my 1st love too, its how I got to school, work, girls houses, hanging with friends. I skateboarded to work to save up for my 1st car. a 66 Mustang, im teaching my 9 year old how to skate. it was what we did here in SO-CAL durning the 80`s.

22. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

been skateboarding has been my life since the mid 80's
    now it just pools/ramps no more st for this guy.
    between me and my 6 year old daughter we have 7 boards and 2 hot rods.

23. I just bought my ticket for the " PINK MOTEL POOL PARTY 2012 "

Here's my old Halfpipe. There's a segment where Eddie Elguera does a front side lay back slide in the old Hst 'Shackle Me Not' video.

[​IMG]

24' wide, by 11' tall. 10 foot transition with a foot of vert.

[​IMG]

24. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

1966-The year I won the "Best Jr Sidewalk Surfer" trophy in my home town in NorCal. That's what they used to call "boarding" back then, sidewalk surfin'. I was 10 years old, and I still have that trophy. Got my picture on the front page of the local paper. I owned the first board in my town that had a "kick tail" on it, just an extension past the rear truck so you could do wheelies easier. It was also about that time I was wearing home drawn Rat Fink shirts, (Loved Ed Roth), going to the Sacramento Autorama, and reading Hot Rod Magazine, so the period I skated in was also the period I was indoctrinated into the Hot Rod World! I remember watching the Beach Boys on Ed Sullivan, and all I cared about watching was the Hot Rods that were used as set dressing during their performance!

I gotta laugh when I read about all the SoCal "pioneers" that started skating in pools in the 70's, when we skated in a paved drainage ditch near my house, and used to sneak into the community pool during the winter when it was drained so we could skate, and this was in the mid 1960's! Of course, NOTHING like they do these days with the 1/2 pipes, and modern boards...but it was loads of fun, and even though I'm a gimp, I could still ride a board!

Geeez, got me thinkin' about them "good ol' days"! Must be gittin' old...shit...

Eric

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012