Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Mercury - Rockers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattTheGonzo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MattTheGonzo

MattTheGonzo

Got rocker panels in and I have to make the boxes so I can mount them to the car. For some reason I feel like I'm just winging it. There wasn't much left on either side to figure out what needs to be fabricated (especially towards the rear quarter panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek:

2. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I hope you have some inner rockers to restore the structural beam there. The outer rockers help brace it and they appear to be entirely gone. Even the floor edge that forms the inside of the inner rocker beam is pretty well eaten away. If you already have them disreguard but if you don't, you might try to contact Mike Stude (Green Mountain Parts) and see if he has a set in stock. It would save a lot of time for you. His outer rockers are a way lot better than the cheep stuff on flea-pay. I rescently saw him advertize a trunk floor on flea-pay and he stated in the add that he still has rockers for 2 & 4-door 49/51 Mercs. His stuff is pricey but if you figure the time and materials it takes to fabricate them, they are cheep in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You will find that it is better to install the inner rockers FIRST, before installing the outer rockers, because the floors have a 90 degree bent flange that is welded to the inside of the inner rockers so as to completely "box" the inner rocker and make it structurally strong. You can see that 6 inch 90 degree flange on the front floor pan in the drawing below. That flange is welded to the back of the inner rocker and part of the floor brace is then welded to it to align with the frame support. Plus, the inner rockers hold the bottom of the door pillars in place. Make sure you establish the correct door width openings BEFORE you permanently weld them in - otherwise your doors won't close or line up with the body. I installed the inner rockers with the doors still on the car to make sure they still "fit" properly. I used Mike's floor pans and his inner and outer rockers. I installed the inner rockers first, then the floor pans, then the outer rockers. The outer rockers go on last.You can see that in the 4th photo the inner rocker runs the length of the car. Give Mike a call. You will be much happier. The photos below are of a 2 door 51 Merc, but the principles are the same. Also, I am not an expert. Perhaps others , who do this professionally, can provide better info.

Attached Files:

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Here are a couple of references from the OEM manuals I like to check when working on floors & rockers. You can open them in a new window to get a larger size.

Attached Files:

5. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

19Fordy and rotorwrench have wise advice. 19Fordy sent me measurements and pointers when I installed my inner rockers. I purchased mine from Micheal Dundon [email protected] out of Vermont and well worth the money. I believe he carries on the Green Mountain pieces. Key to structural integrity and a good point with leaving the doors in place. Regards, Rhys.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      266.5 KB
      Views:
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here are the manuals rotorwrench is speaking of.

Attached Files:

7. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Found this drawing 19Fordy sent me if you are thinking of fabbing your own. Regards, Rhys.

Attached Files:

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's the same photo you can click on to enlarge. Click on it again and it will get even larger. This inner rocker is for a 2 door. I think the 4 door inner rocker has the flat inner body mount brace located in a different place. When you call Mike, be sure and tell him your Merc is a 4 door. You can see the price I paid in 1996. Mike has some floor pans for sale on ebay right now so you could contact him that way. I have his 2007 phone number as 802-948-2011. He doesn't like to be called after 9 PM EST. Oh, One last thought. If possible, don't use wood to brace your interior as it is will not maintain dimensional accuracy. Use 1 in. sq. tubing.

Attached Files:

9. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

thanks for posting this. it is where im kinda stuck on build mine

10. old number for mike-its 802-989-3814, I called him yesterday and got his last 4 door inner, but he is having more made...it was $650 plus shipping for the pair but his stuff is worth it- he runs his dads old business, but its not his primary line of work so use some patience