Register now to get rid of these ads!

Handmade 28 / 29 Roadster - Pics needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bjinatj, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bjinatj

bjinatj

I have a tank skin a buddy sent home with me. I have been building panels for it just for something to do when I am not working on customer cars. I have a 29 Roadster, but a previous owner molded everything in and I cannot tell how it is constructed so I need pics if anyone has any good ones.

The first picture below is where I am now and the rest of the pics are just so you guys know how I did it in case you want to tackle it yourself.

If you have any high resolution pics you can throw up of a cowl or any other parts please feel free to add them. I cannot seem to find any pics online for the windshield post and dash area so I cannot determine where I need to go from here..

Thanks for your time and any pics you throw up!

-Ronnie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bjinatj

bjinatj

That last pic is a jig I made. It is .25" plate steel with .25" welded and molded to it to hammer against. You could make a simple wooden jig, but I make a lot of patch panels and this just stands the test of time..

3. bct

bct

nice work ....can't help w/ pics but i must say i enjoy the use of the wood chisel and framin hammer.

4. bjinatj

bjinatj

None of the body hammers I own had enough balls. It was the next step up.. ;)

5. bjinatj

bjinatj

Still looking for a picture of the top of the cowl where the windshield posts connect..

I have a lot of planishing to do, but I am happy with it.

[​IMG]

6. Don't know if these are any good to you but it's all i got. They are over 30 yr old pics with a crappy camera

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      151.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      127.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
  7. 66gmc

66gmc

wow, your off to a great start.
    I don't know if this helps or not, but I found a link to this build of another hand build 28 roadster. Its all in french so i have no idea what the guy is saying, but judging by the pictures he has a lot of skill.
    www.rods-customs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9930&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I don't have any good or accurate pictures of how the top of the post should look. The tops on my rpu were badly damaged, so i just made new ones which are not an exact replica of the original.
    1st picture is whats left of an original
    [​IMG]
    next 3 show the new top, its just 3 pieces of metal cut to shape and welded together...holes still have to be drilled to mount windshield posts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top bar is recessed on the edges and slides underneath the posts, originally it was riveted, but i chose to weld mine in place
    [​IMG]
    if you need any more pictures let me know.

Attached Files:

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks like mine. 22oz??:D

9. bjinatj

bjinatj

Sure is..

10. bjinatj

bjinatj

You guys have been a big help. Thank you!

11. bjinatj

bjinatj

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Get in touch with pat pryor ,,,,

13. bjinatj

bjinatj

Sorry if I am confusing anyone with the backwards pics. I came here to ask for help from HAMB members so my posting picks with explanations is my way of giving back. I am in no way saying this is how things are done, just the way that I tackled it..

Below is a pic after I cut the sheet metal for the door skin allowing 3/8 around the edge to lap over the inner door structure. As you can see there are markings on the metal going back and forth. These are the paths that I took with a hammer to shape it. The outside of the door is slightly convex. To get this shape I put the outside of the door down on my steel bench after I made sure was very flat and clean and started hitting all over the back with a slight radius hammer following these paths to make sure I hit every square inch about 10 times. This action slightly raised the other side creating the convex shape.

[​IMG]

In the picture below you will see the door skin that has already been shaped. At this time the door skin is convex and looks like a door skin without a raised belt line. To create the belt line I clamped a 1/4" thick bar to my table and allowed the section that would become the belt line hang over. I then chased that 1/4" bar with a well rounded edge 1" flat chisel (The sharp edge is ground off) and a hammer. slowly beating the panel down to create the belt line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon I will be starting the inner door structure..

14. Koz

Koz

Damn! Glad I'm not the only guy crazy enough to attemt something like this. Nice work and some serious creativity. You can build about anything with a half million in equiptment. It takes some skill to build off a bench top.

I've been using a well flattened shot bag and leather slappers to crown my panels. Don't know if you ever tried that but it seems to leave less planishing work later. About the same as a power hammer would leave.

My build thread.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7814107#post7814107

Lookin' good. I want to watch you do the quarters.

15. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks for the leather slapper tip. I will try that soon. Nice looking build BTW..

On the crazy comment I have a bead roller and two reciprocating machines, but I prefer to beat what I can in by hand when its for myself. You appreciate it a lot more when you remember the time you had creating her..

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The simplicity of your operations is a revelation to many here. This is a lesson that these 'impossible' feats CAN be accomplished with a few tools and a good mind.

Your 'step' operation using 1/4" steel as a form is crystal clear, as is the mention of the rounded-nose chisel. Many guys would have waited to go buy a metal brake.
    These methods are classic examples of old world European craftsmen that pounded body panels over wood and steel molds.

This is a very comprehensive thread.

17. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks buddy!

18. Flop

Flop

19. bjinatj

bjinatj

20. bjinatj

bjinatj

I know... I pushed the inside bead from the wrong side. I noticed if after if was all together. Oh well, its not cosmetic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Looks great to me

22. kingpins

kingpins

nice work man.

23. bjinatj

bjinatj

24. Koz

Koz

Very, very nice work on that door structure!!! How are you planning on mounting up your hinge and lock structures? I'm getting close to that point on my doors.

25. bjinatj

bjinatj

I haven't worked that out yet. Just kind of flying by the seat of my pants..

26. tinmann

tinmann

Wow, nice progress with minimal tools. I can't wait to see what you make after you build the fancy equipment.

27. bjinatj

bjinatj

I have the fancy equipment. I just prefer the hand tools most of the time.

28. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Wow man, its awesome to see what can be done with a few simple tools.. Kinda stalled out on my project 'cause I didn't think I had the right stuff to move forward... Think I'm gonna go bang on some metal tonight..

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

30. bjinatj

bjinatj

Much appreciated Pat. It's an honor coming from someone with your mad skills..