Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford hurst shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slinginrods, Aug 20, 2012.

1. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

hi , im in the process of putting a saginaw 4 speed in my dads 32 roadster.the shifter location is not optimum ,any pics of these setups would be great.muncie/t10 saginaw etc.before any one says it,no we are not going to put a t5 in it,not an option thanks.

2. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

I have a 32 with a saginaw 3 speed and an old hurst dual pattern shifter...

it is kinda odd...

is your biggest problem the location front to back, or the offset to the driver side?

on the part to mount it to the transmission, they have a couple sets of holes drilled..
    [​IMG]

I made a template, and added one more set of holes to the front...which gave me just enough clearance between the shifter and the seat.

3. Not quiet what your asking,,but I modified a early 60's style shifter might be what your looking for.

This shifter was from my old Falcon from the late 60's but we cut & modified it to fit in our wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

i need to get pics but its front to back and side to side.that is the same shifter i have in my t with a sag 3speed.the shifter im using bolts to the tail of the trans.

5. I tried this in my avitar. 454 with a Sag 4 speed behind. The problem I ran into was that to get the shifter forward enough to work in the A body with a bench seat, the shift assembly was literally on top of the speedometer cable opening. And, the shift lever needed to be over to the right about 2" and forward at least 6".
    I think it could be done, but damn!
    There was a shop out of Oregon that built shifters that fit on top of modern 4 speeds that put the lever in the correct spot for an A, or B. I don't have their web anymore, sorry. Anybody remember those guys?

6. skwurl

skwurl

I'm assuming the shifter that came with the kit is too close to the steering wheel. I heated my shifter rod and bent it to sit in the center. It works fine.

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Here's a couple of pics of my Muncie/Hurst. The shifter was made for a truck so it's a little taller than most. We stuck it in the vise, heated it up cherry red as low as we could without getting near the mounting holes and bent it over to the left about 2.5 -3 " so it's right in the middle. HURST 005.JPG

DSC00896.JPG

Sorry the 2nd pic isn't better

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shift handle for a tri-5 bench Chevy will move the handle several inches forward but it takes a big boot to cover it.

Ebay number for one 271038866443

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

^^^^
    That's what's in my coupe with a bench seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's another shot of Bad Penny's Hurst shifter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  11. Dennis D

Dennis D

I made this one from round stock for my 32 replica. Let's see if I can load the pics......
    Dennis D

Attached Files:

-Brent- likes this.
  12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Some of the late 60s Hurst shift handles for mopars had healthy offsets both forward and to the pass/right side.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I just put the t&f shifter posted above in my 32. Shifts real smooth

14. F&J

F&J

We need more like you around here. :cool:

That shifter is old looking. Nice work.

There was an old one on hamb classifieds a while back, that looked similar. It was a name I never saw connected with shifters before? Maybe Hildebrant

15. Tony

Tony

I ran a sag 4 speed in my old 32.
    It was the 70's vintage out of a Monza or something similar which had a tail shaft housing that was flat on the drivers side, rather than the typical round style like Muncies and T-10's.
    WITH that tail housing, i bought a Hurst 4 speed comp plus for a 79 Malibu ( yes, they came with 4 speeds, i had 2 of em).
    It mounted the shifter all the way forward, very close to the main case which made shifter placement MUCH easier.
    I made my own handle, but with it 4 or 5" forward of the tail housing, i doubt finding a over the counter handle to "fit" would be an issue.

IF your transmission has that style tail shaft housing, that shifter (or installation kit) will make thing's much easier.

Tony

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Take the mounting bracket and throw it away, modify the linkange and weld up a quick bracket...... It's easy, been there done that