Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas DMV Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me how much of a hassel will it be to get a "barn find" titled in Texas? :confused:

Its a 40s Chrysler that does not have a title and hasn't been driven in 40+ years. I have no idea when it was last titled or by who.

I get the reds everytime I have to go to the DMV - and eveytime its a new set of rules,:mad:

If I have to deal with red-tape I want the car titled properly and not some temp-tag.

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Do some searching on here. This has been covered way too many times to repeat again.

3. warrior1

warrior1

well, i have done the exact thing for a 49 chevy bus i had.
    there are 2 processes for this.
    1. you can do a title hearing for this car. sit with the judge and explain your case and they will issue you a title. (done this before, not too difficult)
    2. apply for a bonded title. havent done this, but its not a difficult process either. just takes a few months.

first you need a bill of sale for the car and a reason there is no title offered for the car when you bought it.
    the dmv will look up the last owner of the car and tell you which route to go from there.
    once again, its not difficult, just takes a little time.

hope this helps.

4. Bart78

Bart78

Get them to run the numbers and see. If its not in their system a bonded title will probably be the way to go.

5. Warrior & Bart

Thanks

- but wouldn't the Bonded title give me trouble if I ever want to sell the car?

6. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

You can get a bonded title. The process may be easier if the Chrysler has its original motor, as the motor is typically the VIN. I don't know how a VIN is asigned if the motor is missing, maybe the body serial number is used? Otherwise you might try to find the number stamped on the frame.

The process is simple. You'll need a bill of sale. I have dealt with Lawrence Auto Title in Taylor, TX. You complete the application that is posted on their web site. Send them $125 for their application fee. An insurance company will contact you within a couple of weeks, you complete their paperwork and send them $100. In a few days you will receive a packet to take to the county tax office. You then have 30 days to complete the title application at the local tax office. Regardless of how much you paid for the vehicle the sales tax will be based upon a minimum vehicle value of $4,400. My total cost was a about $500, including an additional $280 due was at the county tax office.

Contact these people, they're very helpful :
    http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/

I'm now in a different situation in Texas. I bought a 1947 Dodge truck that has a valid title, but the title is in Idado. The state of Texas requires that the out of state titled vehicle be inspected before a title can be issued but I have not found an inspector who will come to my house and complete the inspection paperwork. The truck is months from being capable of being driven. Who can I call to get an inspection ? Lawrence Auto Title says that I'd be okay with the bonded title, but I'd rather not pay the extra fees if all I need is an inspection.

7. bigdav160

bigdav160

It's been about four years but DPS came to my house to do a VIN verification on a old motorcycle I purchased out of state

I can't remember who I called though

8. Bart78

Bart78

I went the other day to talk to them about a bonded title. I will have to have a dealer appraise the car for the bond. The minimum is 4,000 dollars that it can appraise for. Then go get the bond and then go there and get the title. The bonded title will last three years. During that three years you do what you wish even sell the car the title is good. But allso in that three years the car can be contested if it belongs to another person. That is why you have the bond. It has to be bonded for one and a half times the appraisal of the car. From what I understood the dealer runs the vin or serial number of the car. The lady told me I could use a company to do this or do it myself. She said it is fairly easy. The dealer has to charge a hundred dollar fee that the state makes the charge you. Their web site allso has info on this.

9. You can't because the car has to be physically in an approved inspection stall and dps says it has to have a safety inspectionat the same time, but you will find that different dps officers have different ways of interpreting the law. If the inspectorz don't follow procedures, the penalties can be EXTREME.

10. Bart78

Bart78

The lady at the DMV told me to not fix anything on the car and leave it the way I have it. It's a body and frame. She said if the numbers can't be found in their system I would have to go with the bonded title. And the bigger pos it is it will appraise for less therefor cost me less going with the bonded title.

11. Your best bet is to get a bonded title.I dealt with David Lawrence agency Taylor texas and the price was reasonable and took approx 5 weeks phone number for agency is 512 365 3694 hope this help flatheadjohn47.

12. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

I had a similar situation and they allowed me to transfer the out of state title as "title only" without registering it, so I could get a title in my name, but then would have to have the inspection done later when it was running and I was ready to register it, worked perfectly.

13. Bart78

Bart78

I have the papers for a lost title for my coupe right now. But I was told from the lady here that some time the numbers can't be found in their system from not being in there for so long. And if that happens i would have to get a bonded title.