Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for pictures of a '55 Chevy race car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-N-Low, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I am looking to see if anybody on the board would have pictures of a '55 Chevy D/Gas car that was raced in the Louisville, Kentucky area in the mid to late '60s. It was metallic blue with blue plexiglass windows, and had "H&H Racing" on the quarter panels. The car ran a 331 small block, 4-speed, and an Olds rear. Of course, it had a straight axle and radiused rear fender wells. It had Americans on the front, and usually ran black steel wheels on the rear.

This car was owned by one of my old neighbors who I cannot locate. The last time I saw the car was around 1978. It was being stored in an old wood garage, and we had a very heavy snowfall and the roof fell in. The roof fell all around the car, and it was amazingly undamaged. My brother and I cleared all the debris, and I pleaded with my Dad to buy it, and he said no. In hindsight, he was pretty smart. A 16yr old kid with an old race car would nothing but a headache.

It was one of those cars that left a lasting impression on me, and I would love to have any pictures of it racing. Maybe somebody on the board has a picture of it, and if so, I would gladly buy any prints or negatives.

2. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

I think I saw that 55 in knoxville tn in the early 90s.if it was the same car it was primered with some blue showing still had blue windows ,suicide front axle,steel flip front end.If this was the car it has moved on from here ,.about 2000 it disappeared --I was told it was redone into a street car but i dont know

3. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Hope ya can locate it, all these old gassers need to be saved!

4. I could possibly be the car. I had forgotten to mention in my original post that the car was a post car (not a hardtop), and it had Bel-Air side trim that was trimmed at the radiused wheel opening. It had a tilt front end, but I'm not sure if it was steel or fiberglass. The hood had a small molded scoop which resembled the '55-'57 T-Bird shape. The chances are pretty high that it was redone into a street car. The Gasser revival came along a bit late, and unfortunately, a lot of great old race cars were either parted out, junked, or turned back into street cars.

Thanks for the post, 72hd. I gives me hope that the car wasn't scrapped or left to die out in the weather. A lot of great cars met their demise that way.