Register now to get rid of these ads!

WIW 54 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Aug 16, 2012.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

Whats it worth?

54 Merc. New paint. V8 runs, never been gone through. Brakes dont work so trans condition is unknown. All stainless is present and in good shape. Chrome is driver quality but needs redone for show. Tires are shot. Bare interior. Just rear seat frame and newer buckets that need redone. NO RUST or bondo.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. adamshumard

adamshumard

Im not a big merc guy. What model would this be? A Monterey maybe?

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I'll start at $2500. What does the bottom of the car look like? Floor braces, bottom off a pillar. Do the doors sag? Does it have a title?

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

Title yes. The car has 0 rust. Absolutely rock solid. Bottom is solid. Not been cleaned up or coated so it has surface rust. Engine leaks fluid. I would go through it to be thorough, bud it does sound decent running.

5. WWinIL

WWinIL

look at data plate (drivers door between hinges) under "style" on the tag,if it reads 60E its a Sport Coupe,60B its a Monterey. If you get the body specif. off the tag I can tell you the original exterior color,interior trim color and where it was built. Does it have the original motor trans? Should be a 256 Y block and Merc-O-Matic trans. Does it have PS and power brakes? It has the stainless spears that run the length of the car? There should also be two medallions that mount over the stainless at front of fenders.

6. Fenders

Fenders

If the seller refuses to come up with a price, start at $1000.

7. WWinIL

WWinIL

I second that idea. And, from a sellers perspective have the cash available, maybe not in your pocket but close to close the deal if need be. Let 'em know your serious about your offer.I hate a buyer hagglin' down the price and then when you agree he ads " I can't pay you til a week from next tuesday cuz a buddy of mine,blah,blah,blah".

And, check that body with a weak magnet for filler. It's had a repaint. Or are you going on the sellers word, no bondo?

One more thing, a floor jack under that rear end and you can at least put that tranny through it's paces, obv not under load. but, atleast it will tell you if its works

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I don't like the seats, the shifter (maybe transmission)... what's under the paint?

But hey... it says it right on the window "needs love"

If I were in the market, I would not be interested at over $2000.

cool car!

9. adamshumard

adamshumard

No interior panels so i can see inside panels. Im certain theres no bondo. Not sure if its the original engine. Any other thoughts on value? He swears the trans is good, but i plan to offer like its bad due to the situation.

10. Why would you paint a car that has no brakes?

11. I have owned a 54 Merc for 40 years, I thinks it worth $4000. if the hood opens and closes correctly

12. adamshumard

adamshumard

Upon further talking with the owner, it has a 429 in it now.

13. adamshumard

adamshumard

Where are the numbers on a 429?

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

15. WWinIL

WWinIL

429 was only available from '68 to '73. 460 (externally looks the same) was made until the mid 90's. Not sure where the block I.D. is. They are on the engine block passenger front side on a Ford FE (352 to 428), so I guess thats a good place to start. Also look for numbers on the heads too. That might help narrow down whether it's a 429 or 460. Then search online for 429 engine identification. Just my 2 cents but if seller went through the trouble to install a big block and c6 trans he had to have a driveshaft made/modded for length and u-joint size. All that for a car with no brakes?

If the merc still has the stock rear axle. It's prob not going to handle the torque/hp from a big block too long.

16. adamshumard

adamshumard

I think the work was done some time back and the brakes have since leaked down.

17. adamshumard

adamshumard

Any one recognize the console. May be a hint as to where the motor/ trans ca
    e from.

18. WWinIL

WWinIL

ok, what are your plans if you buy it. keep the current motor/trans? or go back to period correct motor?

If your going to keep the "newer" drivetrain, and it sounds from your previous posts it might be a bit tired. You would prob need to update to a more modern brake system too besides the rear axle. Newer drivetrain wants 12v too. Did the seller convert the car from 6v when swap was done? I'm not trying by any means to tell you how to build it. More of a suggestion of items that need 'love" according to the seller. Use them in your negotiation of price.

19. WWinIL

WWinIL

buckets look similar to a Torino. Console not. Ford usually had a t-handle type of shifter. And the rise at rear of console says 70's maybe early 80's to me. There are some gauges in front of console, check them out.

20. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

Look up Ford "Horseshoe" shifter.

Not sure what all models it was an option for, maybe torinos?

21. adamshumard

adamshumard

Went back for a second look. Has some well disquised rust repairs. And it a 428 not a 429. Im out. A lesson to not let buyers eyes get ya. Take a friend or a second look.

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Console & shifter is from a 69 Mercury Marauder, just seen one at the Woodward Cruise. Engine & trans may be from the same car.