Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

THE FUN IS NOT OVER !!! Stay tuned !!!

2. pregrid

pregrid

Congrats, guys! this has been the most fun I've had in a long while! guess I can finally take the Flatcad t-shirt off and either wash it or sacrifice it to the Gods Of Speed!

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Totally new engine package and 2 records, that deserves an ATTABOY. I thought only the Salt Cat guys could do that. I was there and never could find the damn thing for 4 days ! You couldnt see the short course cars so I didnt get to see it run either. I really wanted to get a look at it up close & personal, hell of a job guys !

4. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Congratulations!!!

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Beats the hell out of getting up at 4 am to go work on submarines. Anyone want to trade? lol Seriously, I'm really looking forward to the videos and engine inspection results. I really dig what has been going on with this car! So how soon can we order "Bonneville record holder" tee shirts?

6. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

^^So how soon can we order "Bonneville record holder" tee shirts? ^^

That is what I was wondering. I'll be sporting an XL when they are ready. Congratulations on the records.

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

congrats,job well done

8. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

9. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Buddy and crew..congrats. you guys rock!
    -palle

10. Good Job Guys! Glad to see you got the bugs worked out.

11. Here's a little video, the best I could manage with my wife's camera. Sounds great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1pSCR7NnBTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Tim, thanks for posting the video, and for the shirt. I wore the shirt to the Driver's meeting, and the first time in the car!

First, I want to thank EVERYONE, for the huge amount of support, on the salt and off. It's been an amazing journey!

Ok, help me figure out what was going on here.

We had a strict plan we were sticking too-mild tune, low revs, 2-1/4 times only, to see what the engine and car would do. We only made one 3 mile run, and that was Dale's last run, 165.949 mph in the 3.

We lost the first 2 days due to a fuel problem-the car would pull first, them run out of gas halfway through second. Believe me-if you have a high volumn pump, and a small tank, take the foam out! There was still plenty of gas in the tank, but the gas wouldn't flow through the foam fast enough for the pump!

In the first pic, is the times for our comp coupe run. The 154+ in the 1/4 was a fat tune, under-driven making 8.5-9lbs boost, and 2.55 gears in the car, bumping the rev limiter at 5200. The 162+ backup run was the same tune, with 2.40 gears, bumping 5300 rpms.

The second pic is the altered runs. The first run was a hotter tune, 1-1 on the blower, about 11psi boost, and 2.40 gears. I actually ran faster with the lower tune, but I had the bellypan.I thought I smelled brakes burning after Dale's run, but nobody else did. I realize now, that it may have been the clutch

The second run was identicle to the first, only I put in 5600 rpm, and we ran to the 3. Well, almost-I think we probably hit about 170mph, as the in car video shows Dale shutting down just short of the 3 mile marker.

So, what's the answer? I'm thinking a 5 speed, with about a .82 overdrive. When we go to the hot tunes, this baby will run!

Next year, 190mph or bust. Remember, you heard it here first!:D

Attached Files:

13. Here is the tranny I think we need - it can handle our torque and since we won't be doing standing starts (drag racing), hopefully it could take the Bonneville abuse:

Tremec TKO-600

GM TKO-600 is torque rated at 600ft/lbs. 26 spline input shaft with a 31 spline output shaft. 2.87 first gear .82od. Standard shift location is the rear Muncie 4 speed shift point. Mid shift kits available. Main case bolt pattern remains the "Muncie" 4 speed pattern.

Model (ft/lb) input
    spline output
    spline 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
    TKO 500 500 10 31 3.27 1.97 1.34 1.00 .68
    TKO 600 600 26 31 2.87 1.89 1.28 1.00 .82
    TKO 600 600 26 31 2.87 1.89 1.28 1.00 .64

14. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Hi Tim, It was a pleasure meeting you on the salt !!!
    If there is something I can help you with to get the truck down the salt faster please let me know.

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t-ZDRbRc9JY?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

16. That's funny! You got the same video I did, you can even see me shooting at the end. :D

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Jay, Thanks for hanging out with us, and thanks for posting!:cool:

18. Likewise! I'll keep you in mind, you certainly aren't far away.

I'll be hanging my "FlatCad" tool holder in a place of honor in my Garage. ;)

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm sitting here watching these videos, wishing it were 2013!:D

20. I tried not to get in anyone's way.. There were quite a few filming the same thing! It was good seeing you, Tim and meeting Trent. I have four more videos of FlatCads runs. What an adventure!

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, post them up, please!:D

22. I look forward to seeing you guys out at ElMir! I had a great time bugging you guys out there, learned a lot!

23. Two more as the others upload to my computer.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wyQj75Egeww?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HbG_HPlMvW4?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

24. Gets hot waiting in staging.

[​IMG]

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Who'd a thought a 73 year old engine would kick this much ass and sound so good doing it? I'm diggin it!

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I ran out of time and money for this year!

27. brady1929

brady1929

28. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I know you need the higher gearing of the 5 or 6 speed but keep in mind that any time its not direct drive, 1-1, youre eating up power running thru the cluster gear. A quick change would be a better but more expensive way to get there. Doesnt look like you need any advice from me though, just thought Id throw that out there

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

mtkawboy, I have a Halibrand 301 Champ QC in the car. I think clutch slippage was the issue. On Dale's first run, I asked everyone if they smelled burned brakes, but no on did. After running the numbers, I realize that it had to be the clutch.

Here's a cool pic!

Did anyone get a pic of the FlatCad flying the chute? I really want one!

Attached Files:

30. plan9

plan9

Congrats guys!! I understand being out of time and money, I'll be recouping for awhile myself. Even being broke I bet you guys are on cloud 9.