Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine ID Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlueHeinz, Aug 14, 2012.

1. BlueHeinz

BlueHeinz
    from California

Hello: New to this site and new to a Blue "Driver" 57 Chevy 210 Sport Coupe.

I'm looking for some help to identify the SBC V8 that has been transplanted into this car by someone prior to the seller. The engine code on the machined pad in front of the head is VTT02EP. I haven't been able to determine what the "TT" might equate to. I found the "EP" suffix which is supposed to mean 327 HP but the motor certainly doesn't run like that is accurate. Unless, of course, it has been rebuilt to another spec since new. Can anyone help.
    Thank you;)

2. srs1

srs1

get the casting numbers off of the block behind the driver side head. right on top by the bell housing. google 'chevy casting numbers' on the web. that will tell you alot

3. barslazyr

barslazyr

4. squirrel

squirrel

V1102EP

11 02 is the assembly date, November 2nd.

EP should be a special high perf 327 from a 67-68 chevelle

You might need to take it apart to see what's in it now.

Look for the casting date code on the back of the block, if you want to know what year it is.

5. BlueHeinz

BlueHeinz
    from California

Thanks Squirrel:
    So, you're saying those two "T's" (vTT02ep) are actually ones?? I cleaned the pad with solvent and scotchbrite. The stamped letters definitely are "T's".

6. squirrel

squirrel

The 1 on a chevy engine code is stamped like the letter I, and if the stamp was at an angle the bottom will be faint, and it will look like a T. They are the number 1, that's how the codes work.

I've looked at a lot of these numbers....

7. BlueHeinz

BlueHeinz
    from California

Thanks Jim:
    A logical/sensible explanation. I'll go with it. I will try to see the casting numbers on the bell housing. Don't know if that's possible with the motor installed.

Ron

8. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Use a mirror and shine a flashlight into it and angle the mirror behind the head. Super easy to see the numbers that way.