Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1937 Packard Chop and build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double 'G', Feb 2, 2012.

1. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Hey guys, I am looking for a fair deal on getting a top chopped on my 37 Packard 3 window. I would like to find someone in Houston, Texas area, but am willing to go to Austin area as well. I will also do some suspension work. Anyone, know anyone that can handle a bunch of curves. There is a fair amount of metal work to be done on the interior, removing old wood supports. I have sample photos of one similar. I pay with CASH. Not interested in storing it at some shop for an undetermined amount of time. Need a shop that when the car is taken in, will get worked on. Gary in Houston. By the way, my car is the crappy one in the middle!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crushproof and Austin Speed Shop in Austin

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Austin Speed Shop. That's all ya need to know.

4. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I might have to look into them eventually myself. I'm in North Texas, but figured I'd have to be going down to Austin or DFW if I ever plan on getting something chopped. I'm looking for the right 49-50 Caddy, Buick, or Olds fastback. They could turn it into a hardtop too right?

5. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Got to like the work coming out of the Austin Speed Shop, some of the best. I am afraid my level of car, depth of wallet and build might knock me out before I can get started. I only hear about the builds that are over the top. Would like to have one, but . . . .my initial gut feeling is that they are in a league of their own and I am not sure what I am doing is on the radar. I may be off base cause I have never called A.S.S., I am only speculating. I did however take a picture with one of the owners with a nice old purple 32 Roadster, at the Revolution, that I helped work on back in 87 or so, when it was being restored to its present condition. Featured at this years Revolution, I was glad to see the car again. I saw it at the Round up about 5 years ago, maybe longer.

Any other local support for fabricators, or other chop shops in Texas?

GG

Attached Files:

6. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Kenny Baker aka CHOPRODS here on the HAMB, check out his albums/profile.

7. BarryA

BarryA

Why not just call Austin Speed Shop in any event - at least you'll know for sure then. And if they can accomodate you...well!
    Won't take more than 15 minutes outta your life either way right?

8. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Thanks on Kenny, I will get with him and had already gotten his information. I will also check in the the guys at A.S.S. Good folks, with a lot more common friends than we might realize. Small world as I worked on one of their cars, about 25 years ago! Yikes. Keep the information comin. Thanks. GG

Attached Files:

9. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Hello HAMB folks,

I thought I would resurface this link and give a progress report on my Packard. I made contact with the recommended shops and decided to go with Kenny Baker, of Elmer MO, on the metal work for my 37 Packard three window. To start, I called others and really didn't get very much support or estimates. I did, however, get excellent support from Kenny Baker. He has done a fantastic job, is a master metal worker and makes the work look easy because of his experience. I am going to post some pictures and welcome comments and calls from other folks needing the same done on their cars. My recommendation for you all is that, no matter where you are located in the US, you can get high value at a reasonable cost by using Kenny Baker. I believe that the cost of shipping my car there and back is justified in just the initial cost of the top Chop alone, not to mention the new floor boards, rear deck work, filled roof and front suspension installation. Dollar for dollar it is a win-win. See some of the pictures. Kenny does in hours what others do in days, in weeks what others do in months. Very good stuff here! GG

Attached Files:

10. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

A few more particulars:
    1. Chop was 2.5 inches from the front, 1.5 from the back, 3 inches shorter roof line (from front to back), 5 inches longer in the decklid/trunk area, b-pillers leaned forward a couple of inches. (8-10 days, start to finish, including doors, garnish moldings, and vent window removal, $2500 estimate, before start of work and final cost without any change orders!)
    2. Roof filled, 1-2 days start to finish
    3. Floor pan reconstruction and replacement 2-3 days
    4. Package tray fabrication and structure 1 day
    5. Complete rear cab structure, fabrication of deck lid support and hingework, etc. 2-3 days.
    6. Firewall removal, fabrication and recess 1-day

GG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. slammed

slammed

That is Professional craftsmanship! Hall of Famer skill's.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's looking killer. Glad you found someone to hook you up.

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I believe he had a link here at some point. The price sounds familiar. I went to the link and he came off as a true pro and a no nonsence kinda guy with refrences.
    What more can you ask? Looks like the real nice deal.

14. That is an outstanding looking custom chop. Nice work on a very neat car. Keep us posted.

15. WWinIL

WWinIL

Looks great Gary !

16. cakes

cakes

Looks great to me, Just the right amount of chop

17. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

The ''B'' pillar lean,just does it for me!

18. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

More pictures and information on my Packard progress and Kenny Baker's work. See attached a couple of more photo's relating to the work Kenny has completed. Kenny has a relationship with Lakeshore Fabrication which makes Speedways and Heidts front suspensions. So he drove up to Columbus and picked up a front end. After measuring and checking it out for a couple of days, proceeded to start and finish the work in about 2-3 days. Ryan - if you check this post, I recommend the work that Kenny does get a little extra press from your end. Not sure I mentioned this, but all you see in these pictures and the time he spends is done by one person, Kenny. The top never leaves the body when chopping, and there are quite a bit of other tricks the master uses. A great deal here that has saved me big $$$$$. Kenny is open of business, so send some over. GG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  19. Labold

Labold

Wow! Looks great!

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Kenny is amazing, he did wonders with that ugly top.

21. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

nice work Kenny!

22. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

So a little more information on the work on my 37 Packard. When you start these things it is easy to just keep opening the wallet and loose track of your expense. The metal work included chop top, filled roof, package tray, wood removal and replacement with steel tube, floor pan fabrication and replacement, repairs to rear trunk pan, fabrication of the skeleton for the rear deck lid/hinge/attachment, recessed firewall, new front frame rails and installation of front suspension, removal vent windows and fabrication to make it a solid side glass, leaning forward b-pillers, garnish moldings, and finally some tires and rims to send it back.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  23. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Here is the car and Ben should have it back to me in the morning. Great stuff on the work performed by Kenny Baker in Elmer MO. Next is the rear suspension, and a big 460 inch early HEMI.

Thanks. GG

Attached Files:

24. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

25. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Update on my '37 Packard - Had the chance to take a few pictures of my Packard next to another stocker prior to selling the stocker. I have walnut shell blasted both and put them in metal prep. Mine is together for the first time since buying it a year or so ago. GG

Attached Files:

26. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

I have managed to rework the front suspension some and get a better stance. I adapted some old artillery wheels as well and put them on for the first time. I also have received the new rear suspension and leaf springs. I will be getting them on this next week.

Attached Files:

27. slammed

slammed

Will it lay level after the rear is done, or tail drop?

28. Oh my! That chop is perfect!!!! Nice & subtle!

29. Marcy

Marcy

Looking good Gary!

Marcy

30. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

x2 ;)