Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do when the throttle cable breaks on your econoline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Seriously.....anyone got any ideas? The throttle cable just broke on my 1966 econoline.... reproductions are not available and looks like used is hard to find.

I'm hoping someone with a Econoline has had this problem and has a magic fix like buy one off of such and such (year and make) ford....OR????

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Slow down? Stop accelerating? Is this a trick question? ;)

Just get a new cable. Most bicycle and lawnmower shops should be able to help you, if you don't want to get the Spectre or Lokar kit from the parts store...

3. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Just about any good motorcycle shop carries the cable and ends to swedge or crimp on, Some will just sell you some cable and ends others want to make up the new one. Don't tell them it's not for a bike.

4. String or shoe lace to get you home

5. I was mainly hoping someone with a econoline that has had the same problem would chime in with a magic fix. I would prefer to not use a universal cable but will if I have to. Thanks for the ideas on the bike shops but it looks like it is the actually housing that is the problem , not a broken end. I'm never that lucky.

I was able to move it around the block using the choke as throttle.

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i would fix it ...

7. What they mean is get the cable itself, NOT a new sheath or complete assy. You can pull out the cable and thread a new one inside keeping your original sheath intact. Depending on the diameter, you may need one from a bicycle shop (typically by the foot) or if it's a larger dia. seek out a motorcycle shop. I suspect the thinner cable is what you need.

8. impalamark

impalamark

once used my girlfriends bra when my carb linkage broke

9. Fenders

Fenders

^^^ and I'll bet you weren't in a rush to get home :D:D

10. grifcarnut

grifcarnut
    from Tucson Az

had a similar problem, used 1/4" irrigation tubing as the housing,rigged a couple of clamps to hold the ends. 5 years later it"s still good!

11. kombi66

kombi66
    from stockto ca

vw aircooled throttle cables???

12. fordor41

fordor41

he might be talking about the ford cables that have a tube type piece that snaps to the carb linkage and has a build-in spring, inside the tube, around the cable. If so I'd tear it apart and investigate replacing the cable somehow.

13. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Econoline? Take the engine cover off and work the linkage with your hand.

14. power wagon

power wagon

i would say if you were closer ,just park it and give it to me

15. I almost had to do that in a dodge van once, granted it is not like an econoline with the doghouse in the middle, but I pulled the doghouse off and worked the throttle by hand. :D

Back to the question because this is not about me and my adventures, go to a bike shop or a tractor supply and get cable and make up your own setup. or get with a speed shop and get yourself a long cable like they sue on a rear engine dragster.

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I still repair and make motorcycle control cables.If you lived nearby i could make one for you.It doesn't have to be a complete cable system.Sometimes a length of brake tubing bent to fit and anchored near both ends.Then a cable (cable available at hardware stores or even Home Depot) threaded through the "conduit" and attached by brazing on a fitting,crimping on a nut or whatever.
    Or buy a universal throttle cable from Summit

17. Oh oh oh I got it ! .....

You thank your lucky stars it wasn't the throttle return spring.

Thats what you do when your throttle cable breaks.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

I installed a Lokar cable when I dropped the 302 into my '65 Econo. The only reason I did that was because it needed to be a lot longer, and the original cable was pretty chewed up. I doubt I still have it, but I can look.

Since everyone who installs a v8 into an early Econo wants that cable set up, and they only came in 240-equipped vans/trucks from 65-67, they won't be too easy to find. Your best bet will be to have a new one made, or suck it up and pay Lokar's crazy prices.

19. Midget25

Midget25

I would love to have been able to hear your explaination as to why you needed her bra to make the repairs. I love it!

20. Pics (of her) or it didnt happen :D

21. be careful what you ask for it may be something that you will never unsee. :D