Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best price and selection on wide whites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie Bulldog, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Ok guys, a lot y'all know me and what I'm going through so budget is defiantly an issue, I need some wide whites for my 54 Chevy radical custom so I can finally bag it and get my hight the right way, so here's the question...

What are the best budget "cheap as possible" tires I can get and what size i should get and where to get them? I want wide ass whites! But I want my car laying frame.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tires aside, you do know that you are going to have to cut your wheelwells in the rear to get it on the ground, right? (Ignore the nylon line, it was a temporary hookup):

[​IMG]
    Look for a 6.70-15. That's what we normally use in this application.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Cheap and wide whites don't go together in the same sentence. In fact, cheap and tires in general don't go together in the same sentence. Prices for tires has been climbing pretty steadily, and some say it is because they are tied into the petroleaum business somehow.

But, check out Coker Tire. I've been a customer for over 30 years and they have always given me a good product and service. There are other companies, but that one just happens to be my favorite.

Don

4. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

I didnt know i had too... im asume this is a pic of it done in a 54? Do u have more! it wont be an issue to do

5. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Coker is just so damn expensive... i live off of disability... to expensive...

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Maybe Lucas Tire in Long Beach, Cal.

Or sometimes tires come up here on the HAMB if you can wait it out?

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

I want to lay frame, I want wide whites, I got no money.
    Lament of many kustom guys. You mention disability.
    This applies no matter what your limitations.
    It takes time, talent and money to build a dream.
    Very few of us have all three in abundance.
    It will take more time to learn/save or
    It will take talent to save money/time or
    It will take money to buy time/talent.

Either scale back the dreams to within your budget or go outside of the project and increase your time/money/talent.

8. um...some how connected to petroleum? rubber tires are petroleum based. so yes not "some how connected" rather directly connected. just saying.

9. bgblk40

bgblk40
    from Midwest

Check out Coker and Diamondback tires.

Tom

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Buy some cheap ass tires from wal mart & grind em .
    WHA CHA THINK OF DAT ?
    B.B.

11. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Amen.

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I see the Problem a couple different ways.

Buy the BEST Whitwalls for your car & Lower it a TRADITIONAL way ... Larry Watson Style.

Then you can Afford Tires .... Problem solved.

ORRRRRR....................

If you have the Money to do the Mods to the Body & installe AIR RIDE .... You have the Money to buy the BEST White walls for your car.

Step up & do the Whole Job .... Stop being a Cheap Ass & Stop using Disability as a crutch.

If you can afford AIR RIDE you can afford Tires

13. wicked wide whites look weird ... on the 53 54 ... just saying ,

14. 68vette

68vette

I saw a 49 buick sedanette about a year ago with porter walls....from 20 feet, you could not tell it from regular wide whites....don't know what it does to balance or what it looks like running 70mph down the road.

15. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Not being racist here, but when I was growing up a lot of brothers put Port-a-walls on their rides... called em gansta white walls. They would invariably come loose and we call that a "flappin' gangsta". :D

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, I know only too well. I am on Social Security, but when you are building a car the parts cost money and sometimes there is just no way around it. Like they say, " If you are going to make an omelet you are going to have to break a few eggs." :D

I kinda knew that, but since I wasn't 100 percent sure what the relationship was I didn't want to say something that was incorrect. Thanks for the clarification.

Don

17. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

I found a great deal on a bias ply set, chose 14" wheels (thanks to my buddy omar) also got a radial set both sets brand new and I only spent 1000 with shipping included, talk about hooked up!!! Will post after I blast and pant my wheels!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad