Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Four observations on the NSRA Nats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am in total agreement with this statement :D
    When NSRA open the gates up to the 30 year sliding rule, they effectively DOUBLED the numble of vehicles allowed in ... YET the car count went down. Same thing happened to Shades of the Past. When it was pre 49 .. it was a higher count of cars and as a general rule higher quality vehicles also.

I have read here where the crowds were down. The car count was down and the vendors were down also. Some blame the HEAT. Some blame the economy. I blame the new cut-off rules. :eek:

Los Angeles Roadster Show ... has a cut-off of 1937. Their swap meet is GREAT. Lots of vendors also. No one mentions a economy slow down at their event.

The Frog Follies. Another pre 49 event that is growing and doing GREAT. It is HOT ... but folks keep on coming. :eek:

One other thing that hurts the NSRA Nats in Louisville is the location. A lot of folks ( myself included ) are tired of the same old place. I have been to the NSRA Nats in Columbus, Ohio ... New York, Oklahoma and St. Paul MN. Memphis too. My wife and I like to see different cities. I do understand the difficulty of finding a suitable location.

2. They announced that they signed a contract for another 5 years at Louisville for the NATS. As a vendor, this was the BEST NATS for us in at least 5 years

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I don't believe the economy has anything to do with national events like the NSRA Nats. They had just under 10,000 cars registered and if the average worth of each car is $25,000 thats 250 million dollars. Every bit of which is disposable income. The vendors items are disposable income as well. As hotroddon says they just had their best year out of the last five.
    I agree that some don't like the fact the Nats are held in Louisville every year but not to many other places have the vendor and exhibit space that Louisville has.

4. Get 'em Gary !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. slammed

slammed

Yes, light 'em up Gary.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don, this guy sounds like the Mustang owner we encountered at the Nats. We still haven't seen his pictures have we?

7. slammed

slammed

Johnny Sweet2? 20 inch rims? All day long......'we'...... One on one.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

usually have my 59 el camino. but its under the weather right now,so i drove my 51 chevy p.u white with red wheels and NOTHING on the door. if you run a little late wed give me a buzz i'll buy you a coke/burger. i get off work at 2:30 central time. i'll p.m ya my number.

9. The last year I went it was in St. Paul, around 80 or 81 maybe. I believe there were about 10,300 pre 1949 modified cars. Now they let just about anyone in and the car count is down, so the other fees have to go up. I've lost all intrest in big event type shows. Give me the local car shows and cruise nights any day. The guy who just pinstriped my roadster said that he can't afford to pay the vender fees of 12 to 1500 dollars at these shows. I caught him at a local powersports open house, he was there with no vender fee and striped mine for about $100.00. He said at a national event he would have to get $300.00 for the same job. I understand the economics of the whole thing, it's just not for me.
    As for the observations, well I can't speak to that because I haven't been to a Nats in 30 years, so I guess that means that if I still had the new car I bought in 1981, it would qualify to get in. SHIT now I feel really old!!!:(

10. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I will,and I thought all street rodders loved Mustang's, they sure cut enough of them up for parts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

? ? ?

I do not know which school you went to ... but

10,000 X 25 = 250,000 ... that is a far amount from 250 million. In fact it is a 1/4 of a million.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Nice try, Einstein..... I don't know what school you went to, either.
    10,000 cars x $25,000. = 250 million :rolleyes:

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go get um' Randy!!----Sic em'

14. slammed

slammed

Album of the ride? Where?

15. OOps, kind of stepped on his dick there ...... :D

16. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

The local news here in Louisville reported the nsra is signed up till 2020......
    See you guys for at least 8 more years.

17. sota

sota

ALL I can say is if you didn't go to the Nats this year for what ever reason it's your loss!

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree, NSRA shot themselves in the foot with a sliding year rule. I recieved a lot of negative comments the year that it was announced. With my blue and white NSRA rep shirt on my back at Louisville and Springfield I was like a lightning rod. I do not agree with what they did, and not get what they wanted which was more members. Car count has remained about the same, or maybe down a little. But just the same, NSRA does put on a good show. At least the rice grinders never showed up, as well the low riders with the problems that are seen with low riders

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I do not claim to be a Einstein ... but my math and reading skills are OK.

The guy was using 25 dollars per car for a entry fee NOT 25 grand per car. :confused:

10 cars @ $25 = $250
    100 cars @ $25 = $2500
    1000 cars @ $25 = $25,000
    so ....
    10,000 cars @ $25 = $250,000

Check your math ... :cool:

20. 55driver

55driver

Being a '55 driver, this was my first NSRA event ever, entrant 9836. I thought it was fantastic! I've attended dozens of GG events including the past 6 Columbus nats and thought the Louisville facilities were the best I've expirenced. That huge building complex to get out of the weather to brouse goods or eat or just sit down was great. I don't mind the mix of cars, I'll just pass by the rides I don't like theres a hundred to one ratio of cars I like. Even getting in and out of the grounds was a breeze. I'm looking forward to next years event as well as Kalamazoo next month.

21. Maybe you need to look again, your reading skills do seem to be lacking - The OP clearly states $25,000 per car, he never says anything about an entry fee at all (which is quite a bit higher than $25.00 anyway) :cool:

22. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Thank-you Junior Stock! Check it out with 14 inch steelies and Bedford Bias Wide White Walls. Your turn to post the big pix, mister.

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

25,000.250,0000 250million, jeeze whos on first,i don;t know,no hes on 2nd,who's on second.......................

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

not too far for 4 guys with cars from Minnesota that I saw there

25. redo32

redo32

The last time I went to Louisville it was about 3800 miles round trip.

26. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

"3) No "ricers" in sight:cool:"

Nice!

or... Rice Rods ,
    or... Tuna Cars (tuner cars)
    -Throw 'em back , they're too small!

27. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Another picture. Where is yours? Hunnert Car Pile Up approved 3x's over.

28. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Last call Gary. Post your's up.

29. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

I get that many disabilities aren't readily visible, but there were definitely many folks who weren't disabled driving around on carts, or motorized coolers.

As for the venue Louisville is great, the fairgrounds are awesome and the vendors were plentiful. Not many venues can hold a candle to Louisville.

30. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I'm pushing 60 and fat but I walk it. I understand about disabilities but I think you should have to prove it to ride around. I saw many able bodied young dudes with the lazy streak. This was the first year I took a modified two wheeler hand truck to tote my water and a milk crate in case I bought parts, which I did. I go through a lot of water in the heat and concessions are no bargin. I'm OK with real muscle cars but ford fairmonts and K cars are allowed and that is wrong.