Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Cell Behind seat is a firewall needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Hey guys

Is a heavier gauge rear seat firewall recommended?

I have my fuel cell directly behind my seat in the trunk. I have a 20 guage sheet including framing between the tank and seat back. Is that enough between me and the ride along Bomb? I have about 10 inches on each side before the fully boxed frame on each side. The Tank does ride on 1 inch tubing frame but is above the boxed frame. I am running a Ford impact cut off switch for the electric fuel pump. Its an RCI aluminum tank 17 gallons any suggestions ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Unless your racing the car, I would think that would be fine. Millions of pickup trucks where produced with gas tanks directly behind the seat. And they did that up until the mid 70's, so what you have should be even safer then an OEM application.

3. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Does the tank have the Bladder???Even without it , you should be good, we used to use 22 ga on the ARCA car for the fuel can container , and all the closeouts between the trunk & driver compartment, and alot of teams used thinner 24& 26 ga.....Just make sure all the joints are seam sealed, and any wiring,ect are run thru grommeted holes...Shawn

4. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

NHRA And IHRA have specs listed in their rules and regs....you might as well build to spec in case you or anybody else has to tech vehicle prior to racing....why not do it?

5. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

While safety is always paramount, I think you've seen too many movies.

6. cayager

cayager

as greasey said there were a ton of trucks with the fuel tank in the cab. hell the model As had the tank above the engine and above your lap

7. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Yeah Lots of good points you guys. I think I iwll check on the NHRA specs in case I want to play at the Nostalgia Drags. Jonathan - I have been on the seat belt thread seeing the poor folks in the model a without seat belts. I have 3 point belts coming also and the Tank is right there so got me thinking want to get it done right .

Thank you

8. dexleo2

dexleo2

Thats about the same place I'm going to mount my 14 gallon tank in my Model A coupe, except I was going to put a 16 ga steel rear firewall in it, Just to put some seperation between the back of my seat and the fuel tank.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In a perfect world, no. But a firewall (or any other way to keep the tank under the floor and away from people) is such an easy thing to do, why not?

In a very imperfect world, you might get T-boned by a drunk and end up with a lot of fuel sloshing around under your feet - with or without a source of ignition. Assuming you are conscious and still able to get out of the car... it might not be so bad... for a few moments anyway.

Morbidly yours, Gary

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

I think that you already know the answer to your own question but were just wanting to verify. Its not that difficult of a chore, do it.

11. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Will take Paranoid builders for $500 Alex (Jeopardy) LOL

Thanks

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I think if you get T-Boned by a drunk driver in a Hot Rod, The fuel will prolly be the least of your worries.

If your hit hard enough to burst a tank .... You will most likey be Done for anyway.

People dont think how hard you must get hit to burst a tank ...

Firewall might just be good to build into the Project, But stop worrying about IF a tank will blow ... You wont know it if it does.

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Do whatever gives you peace of mind.

14. LOL :D:D:D

Its funny if I build a car I always want a firewall or floor board between me and the tank, but if I have a pickup truck with the tank behind the seat I never even think about it. My last '65 C-10 still had the coardboard cover over the tank, as if that was going to do anything more than hide the tank.

Or you might know for a few day is it does, but they'll keep you so whacked on morophine that you won't care.

15. squirrel

squirrel

If something is getting into the cab of my truck far enough to damage the tank, it's probably gonna do a number on me, too.

NHRA rule book mentions that fuel tanks must be outside the passenger compartment, or there must be a fully sealed firewall, .024" steel or .032" aluminum minimum.

I guess my pickup is illegal. I haven't raced it since the late 90s...

16. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Yeah it would be over with for me if another got that far into the cab anyways! Knock on wood

17. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Lets be Honest guys ...............

How many Gas tanks have you ever heard of first hand blow up ?

I know the Pintos & Early Stangs were ones that did, But then I find this ironic to ........

Everytime I read of a guy taking the UnSafe tank from the cab of whatever Early truck he has ........ THEY ALWAY MOVE IT THE BACK WHERE PINTOS & STANGS HAD THERES !

But Really ............ How much concern should the be ?

Maybe we should worry more about BUMPERS on Hot Rods ?

Or reinforced Floors on Channeld Hot Rods ?

Or Or Or Or Or ?

18. squirrel

squirrel

If he's ever going to race the car, then he ought to build it to NHRA specs. Other than that, you build it to the perceived level of risk that you're comfortable with.

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I put one in because i think it cuts down on the fumes. I spill shit, fuel sloshes, and lines leak and then it stinks and your girlfriend hates it, you and your cloths. It also reduces on noise.

20. Clik

Clik

My brother and one of his buddies were steet racing their fifties vintage trucks when his buddie got a speedwobble from worn front end parts, the truck went over on it's side and caught fire. The guy was screaming frantically for help. My brother tried to save him but the flames were too hot. He had nightmares for a long time. If you have an old truck with the gas tank behind the seat you are flirting with disaster. They make metal boxes to go over fuel cells and batteries also.

21. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

I say no big deal.....motorcycles they are between your legs. Semi's under the door. Some old cars on the cowl. If you get in a wreak that bad...your screwed. If your racing they will have fire staff around. I crashed a car once at over a 100mph into a fire hydrant (I was a kid) and ripped the back half of the car/ tank in half.....never "blew"....that was a crazy night

22. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I dunno man, I here ya on the NHRA rules ... I see that.

But mostly I lend it to the Paranoia Of The Amercan Population anymore.

Media & movies have blown it WAYYYY Out.

My '65 Chev is in the cab, '55 F-100 under the driver, Model A MOON tank in the Rumble, '54 Ford Aluminum tank in the Trunk.

I guess im Destine to BURN !

23. Clik

Clik

I'm no safety Nazi, I'm a libertarian, so, I would never tell a man he can't commit suicide if he wants to, but I know too many people that burned in gas fires. One burned to death in his pickup truck screaming for help, one looks like the phantom of the opera, and another was rendered down to 15 pounds when they finally got what was left of him out of the fire.

24. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

I hope I never know you! ;)

25. Clik

Clik

Yeah, and that ain't all. I had a childhood friend who burned to death in a tire shed. Tires used to come wrapped in paper and the shed had all the old dry paper on the floor. He and one of his buddies used it for a club house and had candles in there. The paper caught fire and he was on the wrong side of the flames.

26. i just thought it was a good idea to keep the gas tank and smells out of the passenger area, so I built a barrier between the cab interior and the trunk area where the RCI fuel cell/tank is. And it was just about the only place left to put the tank anyway as I dont feel real comfy with it hang out the back ala 32 style.

27. forgot to add the pix of mine....sorry. here they are

Attached Files:

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I have seen only one non-racing car fire in person. On the freeway, just a single car. Driver silouette could been seen thru the flames, very sad, the car was fully consumed. Temps were so high, you had to roll up your windows 3 lanes away. I doubt it was a gasoline fire, but it wasn't fun to see. How many new vehicles have you seen in the previous few decades with the fuel tanks inside the passenger area? There is a good reason for that, and it wasn't just Ralphie Nader's rants. Gary

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice job. Gary