Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Aug 7, 2005.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I need to know what you guys like to use as far as spray paint goes. I am doing the body work on my 51 one panel at a time and I want to give it a coat of spray paint while I am doing it. I am probably going to go primer, them paint and then another coat of primer over. That way it has the primer look I want, but it has a non pourous later under the color. Does that make sense?

Anyway, what brands, types of spray paints are best/easiest to lay down? I have used duplicolor and OSH generic brand before.

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Mooch, bumb or buy an air compressor, they turn up at swap meets,
    newspaper for sale adds, and yes, on the H.A.M.B. for sale. Rattle cans
    are mostly propelant and solvent, ya ain't gettin' much for your paintin
    dollar. Rattel can spray jobs don't offer much protection, from the elements,
    for your hard work on that '51.

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I have a compresor and I could buy a sprayer. But I want to use rattle cans for mall areas while I do the body work. I dont want to have to clean the gun for a square foot of use. But, once the car is all blocked to perfection, then I will buy a gun and spray it right.

4. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

I have to admit that I do keep a few cans of etching primer on hand to hit small areas of exposed metal with but at eleven bucks a can it is used only for quick jobs. and it is the same mix that I buy in a gallon. If I spray small areas I use a touch up gun.

You are going to spend more than you have to on the rattle cans to do a substandard job. The primer on the outer coat will still eventually fail and if it isnt compatible with the rattlecan paint it may separate. And it is very hard to lay down a good even coat of paint with a rattle can.

I/m sure ther are a lot of people here that can recomend a good flattened paint that you can shoot over primer Or a good sealer that will give you some time till your ready to paint, and it'll be done right the first time and for less money,

5. Having rattlecanned my '50 - just because for $20 I could get it more or less all in one color so the neighbors have less of an excuse to be assholes - I would agree. It's hard to get a good even coat that covers well.

I know a guy who'll spray it in flat black for me for like $100, I just have to drive it out there and buy the paint. He does the sanding and all. Figured I'd do that and then I could rattle-can some scallops or something myself here. Car really should have a sealer put on it too because it was once tan, then got blue over top, which is peeling in a lot of places on the hood and quarters. Looks as though the prep was poor, maybe even an Earl Schieb job. Heck in some places I wire brushed and got bare metal, too. Was then I got a can of spray etching primer -

6. Muttley

Muttley

7. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

then all that spray paint will have to be sanded off...double work...do it right the first time

8. KATFISH

KATFISH

Check out the new R&C ,there is a model A pickup in there that is painted
    entirely with Krylon flat black.
    Looks PDG