Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade tonneau covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Aviator

Aviator

Who makes their own roadster tonneau covers? Techniques. Ideas. Advise. Pictures.

2. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I dont know about a roadster but this guy made a real cool one for his Econoline pickup using the roof of a van

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  3. Not sure whether you mean for the bed or the cockpit. If it's for the latter then the easiest "no sew" way to make a tonneau cover is to use Vybak (it's the stuff used for folding convertible windows - I think they call it Ful-vue in the US) and Durable Dot or Lift the Dot fasteners.

Install the Dot fasteners on the car. Lay the vybak over the car and mark with a sharpie and cut to shape. Lay the cut tonneau over the car and mark the position of the Dot fasteners with a sharpie - punch the holes and install the other part of the dot fastener.

I've done this for many roadsters. The vybak lasts for up to 10 years and it's nice to have a clear tonneau cover - the interior is then on show. Also, it doesn't leak as many stitched fabric tonneau covers do.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. A tub

A tub

have u got a tub/phaeton or something ?

5. Aviator

Aviator

'31 Ford roadster

6. Man that thing is rad! Any more pics?

7. fomocochoptop

fomocochoptop

The Econoline tonneau Cover is Super Rad. I am Taking a trip to the wrecking yard today. I Love this place!

8. 55Glide

55Glide
    from Mt.Airy,MD

I guess this kinda got side tracked. I'm surprised guys aren't more familiar with roadster tonneaus,especially topless rides. They're a great way to keep 1/2 warm and still catch the breeze. Zip it shut when you park and keep rain off the interior. Keeps eyeballs off your stuff,too. Truck beds came next.
    Stitchin' is one of the few things I don't do on my stuff,so not much help either. I've used the same upholstery guy for decades (actually into the 3rd generation now) and they've spoiled me.
    Here's a few pictures I nabbed off a Street Rodder article:

Attached Files:

cactus1 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

actually I'd think it's one of those things that isn't a bank breaker for most of us to have someone do. Just as they are intended for when used at the dry lakes or salt flats they keep the wind turbulence down in the open cockpit on the road plus they hide the stuff you have with you. For some that may just be your camping gear that you have no other place to put on solo road trips.