Register now to get rid of these ads!

thinking about buying a vintage travel trailer. I need advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrence, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Terrence

Terrence

I stopped and looked at a 1950 silver streak clipper today (I think it's 18 foot) and I am thinking about buying it but I know very little about these things. I know there are some guys on here who know what they are looking at.
    My main question is value the guy wants $12K for it which seems like a lot but it may be in line.
    What do you guys think it's worth? everything looks pretty original inside but restored by the current owner, it is roadworthy and ready to go. I know it's hard to judge from pictures but I am jut looking for a bit of guidance before I jump in.
    Thanks Terrence
    Mods If this is too OT just delete.

Attached Files:

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Go to the Tin Can Tourist site and look at the past ads and that wuill get you a feel for what they are selling for.

3. abodyjoe

abodyjoe

i have no idea what its worth but it is cool as hell..

4. Terrence

Terrence

I looked there but couldn't find anything really comparable. I don't mind spending the money I just would like to know if I need to sell it in a few years I can get close to what I paid for it.
    Thanks Terrence

5. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I can't help you out either, but I agree its cool! I would like to have a vintage camper myself.

6. Cool as hell. If everything works seems like reasonable price. Make sure your tow can handle it.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

That seems like fully priced Airstream territory, but it looks ready to enjoy. Same price as similar sizes new ones but way cooler.

8. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Looks nice to me, much better than some I have seen. These things are expensive to restore so buying one done is not a bad idea as long as you like the details.

BTW - the smaller they are, the more $ they cost.

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Nice looking trailer. I am bias towards old campers but I don't think the price is bad. I fixed up a Spartan and have way more than that in mine. I am not sure if the Silver Streaks have an aluminum structure holding the walls and ceiling like the Spartans have, but if so, they are quite strong and last for years. I would avoid wood framed trailers.

Neal

10. I would have no problem paying 12K for that trailer

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

In this market, it seems a bit high. But yes if you buy it and put it storage and keep it polished and not use it,, it should be close in value to what you paid, just like classic cars. I have had two Airstreams, and now we have a 70 Avion, 62 Santa Fe an Chick uses a 28' Silver Clipper as a art studio. Vintage trailers are a life style, just like classic cars, if you drive em and enjoy them, it costs. But in the long run, what a fun time it is! So you lose a few bucks when you sell, the questions is,,, did you have a good time and did you see some great parts of America?

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

I agree. That's a very good buy. Get it.

13. I agree as well. that is a good buy, not a screaming deal. But I 've seen similiar size and vintage recently in that price range that need polish and lots of interior work.....I'd buy it if it was closer.

14. you haven't priced Airstream s lately! HRP

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Airstream is the benchmark for all early camper trailers but Silverstreak and Avion were among the top quality marques too. If this one makes your heart beat faster buy it and enjoy.

16. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Just like an auto, the frame is important. If it has a pan underneath, I would at least remove it partially to look at the braces which on an Airstream are steel and they can rust out. Welding new braces in with a wood floor may not end up to be a pretty picture, so better to disassemble...

With only two tires condition and age of those is important as well as the bearings and electric brake set up if it has it.

Has the electrical been upgraded? New inverter? Everything work? Leaks around window seals?...

Any pictures of work done? Receipts?

Hope it works out,
    Larry

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is one of the most desirable and valuable vintage trailers. $12,000 is probably a good price.

19. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I'm a huge vintage trailer nut. That one is easily worth the $12k based on these pictures. The older and smaller they are the more they are worth. The big thing to watch for in any antique trailer is the frame. The tongues have a tendency to rot out from the inside. I've towed several that looked great until Blammo, the trailers brake in half going down the road. Moisture often gets trapped in the insulation belly pan and rots them out. Another thing is always stomp inside a trailer like a Nazi parade whenever you are looking to buy one like this. The ones that have a double hull like this one often don't show leaks. Water runs down the inside of the wall and rots the floor and frame out. People will often place new plywood over the rotted floor to hide the rot. If you feel a soft spot, that usually means a complete body off restoration. The trailers that have a birch wood interior usually show the leaks pretty easily with water stains and delamination. The early Silver Streak trailers like the one you posted are pretty sought after.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Polishing is $250/lineal foot, so count that. It looks like it's on the money to me.

Brian

21. power wagon

power wagon

agreed , some knowledgeable people there , man i wish i had one , looks nice from here

22. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

23. Terrence

Terrence

Thanks for all the input, I am going to go look at it again tonight and try and peek at the frame.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Be sure to check the weight. Some of them old aluminum trailers look light but are quite the load to tow. Gary

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This forum is the place to go for information about vintage Airstream type trailers. The Silver Streak is actually related to the Airstream, they built them in the same plant.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/

26. Terrence

Terrence

I went down and looked at it again according to the seller it weighs 2200 Lbs. As much as I could tell it looks solid underneath. It spent most of it's life in Utah and has been in Colorado since 1995 the main tongue tube has been lengthened 18". he said it was done to match the length of the same size Airstream and improve towing. I am still on the fence since it is alot of money for something that doesn't move under its own power.

27. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Come on man, just buy it! It will be lots of fun, and when you're tired of it, let it go to someone else.

28. roughneck424

roughneck424

That price looks in line to me too.
    My $ .02

29. BJR

BJR

Having owned 2 Airstreams, a 59 Mallard, and presently own a 64 Avion, I say buy it if you like it. The price seems in line with the rarity, and condition. If it appears that the work has been done correctly, you will be able to get your money out of it when you are done with it.

30. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

^^^^ This
    I also have a 1960 Avion and the trailer in similar codition. I looked at several "online" across the U.S. and the price for this one seems fair.
    Did you buy it?