Register now to get rid of these ads!

A word of encouragement if you have never made it to Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasheat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. pitman

pitman

"You are certainly the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place." Yates (Brock???)
    Now that's a by-line!<!-- / sig -->

2. Cuff

Cuff

I'm the guy 52 Plymouth is talking about. We're finishing up the old coupe and will be at World of Speed in September. Building the car was my wife's idea and Bob is right, I would never have made it without some pretty amazing friends. If any of you see a old Plymouth in the pits, stop and say hi. Thanks for the post, Bob.

3. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I'm just a line chaser......Black or White. ;)

4. This post is exactly right. You *have* to be there to really experience it. The sights, sounds, people, friends, salt, heat, cars, trucks, scenery, competition, comradery are all part of the experience.

This will be my 10th year in a row going. I also started as spectator and now plan to race there, but car not close to ready. Looks more like a junkyard refugee than a race car! But it will get there.

5. My one and only time out there was 2003. Flew out there with two of my buds. One of the most memorable things I have ever done. But the next time I go back, if there is one I will definately bring a car to run.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

Ive drove by muliple times over the years,but never stopped. I work for a company that has paid vacations, so next year Im going.
    Problem is everyone Ive talked to who has went now is a addict. I need to add to my hobbies.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I went in '92 to 'help' a friends race team, it was Frank Oddo and John Hesford's Redi Strip Special tank. The blown 302 ford made lots of noise, but no record. But what I saw and what I did, and who I met forever change who I was and what I wanted to do. Then before 'Bucket List' became the phrase of us gray beards, I went to Speed Week, actually I was forced to go, as I had contacted Cancer and it was looking bad. It was a trip to talk about and remember and I shot maybe 50 black and white images and then I had to figure out what to do with them. Then I started a little calendar, and I went back to sell and take pictures,, actually I was driven to do it. Then I got lucky, after 3 years of ugly drugs, a new drug and I started to get better. And the calendar started to get better, because I had a drive to try to show the world what goes on during Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt Flats. This is not a plug for the calendar, this is a plug that life is too short, and you never give up, and you follow your dreams.

8. Spike!

Spike!

I went in 2007 and documented it here..its archived somewhere. its a religious experience if you believe in cars..

Spike

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

No matter how much I try, I still can't get some of my friends to make the trek to Bonneville. They have no idea what they're missing out on!!
    Leaving Thursday morning -- should be a great trip!

Here ya go!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202525&showall=1

Malcolm

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The only disappointment of my first time at Bonneville was that it took me so long to get there. I haven't been able to make it every year, but every year I can't go is a disappointment.

11. MRK

MRK

Went last year just to cross it off the ol' bucket list. Needless to say, I leave again on Saturday for the 625 mile trip. Dick Martin warned me that I'd contract that sickness known as "salt fever". A nice long solo road trip knowing that good friends and good times are just a few more miles down the road make me feel real. A lot of seat time to think about what you have in your life and how lucky we all are to live in this great country. See you on the salt!!

12. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

The fist year me and my buddy went , I remember telling him " I feel sorry for everbody who aint us" He set a record last year and got in the 2 club!! Chris

13. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am finally scratching this itch this year. I have no job, no money, but I have the time for once. I am taking my 11 year old son on a cross country adventure on a budget. Leaving Friday morning hope to be there Saturday by noon local time.

14. EW16

EW16
    from Washington

Installing seatbelts today in my 60' f100 for my wife and newborn and leaving saturday from washington for my first speed week. Dropping them off with family in southern Idaho and will be lone wolfing from there. Man, it don't get much sweeter than this. Thanks for all the inspiration guys. Look for a wide eyed kook in a grey primered f100 at the bend.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Leave earlier. Get there before sunrise so you can roll out at first light and get a good spectator spot on the big end.

Sunrise over the salt is a magical experience.

17. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I think its better when you do it spur of the moment. Its the shock of the emersion that gets you when you step out on the salt for the first time.

18. cracker head

cracker head

Tommy, the roadster is loaded, as well as half of the shit in the shop. I can't wait!

Love,
    Elvis

19. saladbar

saladbar
    from auburn CA

First time in 2000 man what a trip been twice will go next year it is so flat, can talk to any body and look over ther sholder and bs with them

20. Salt Fever is like a STD.....you come by it thru passion, and it's almost impossible to cure...:eek:
    BenD and his sons exposed me in 2010, and I haven't been the same since.:eek: Flat Top Bob tried to lure me there this week("fly out--we have a room")...but I am strong(read that:broke).....Next year, I will again hear the salty siren's song....will I succumb? I know I want it......:cool: