Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kalifornia here I come! Pomona or bust!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Aug 5, 2012.

1. papajohn

papajohn

OK. Making the treck out from Buffalo to Cali next weekend with the family. Staying at the Sheridan, which my wife claims is right next to the Fairplex.

Anybody have advise or pointers for a Pomona Swap meet 1st timer newbie?

Thanks. John

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Bring good, comfortable shoes. If you walk the swap meet and car corral, it's 14 miles!

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

If you are staying at the Sheraton Fairplex, it is, essentially, located right on the Pomona Fairgrounds. Good choice of hotels. The NHRA Museum is right next door and is a must see.

The Early Ford store is located Just down the road in San Dimas. It is a treasure trove of original old Ford tin an bits and pieces. A wonderful place to stop, even if you are not a Ford guy.

The Petersen Museum is about a 40 minute ride away (in moderate traffic!) and is another must see. The Chino Airport has a museum that is a wonderful place to visit. Many times there are guys flying their vintage aircraft in and out as the airport is a haven for the vintage plane guys.

However, there are so many places to see for a first timer that I suggest you do a search here on this very subject. You will find so many recommendations that your head will be spinning. It's hard not to find more places to visit than your time will allow. Enjoy yiurself.

4. Maria

Maria

It's huge place!! Start early and take lot's of brakes! It's a marathon but it's gggreat!!!

5. papajohn

papajohn

Thanks for the info guys! I can't believe it's this big and only one day, and a short 7 hour day at that!

Should be fun and tiring.

6. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Actually, there are many swappers that arrive on Saturday to set up their stuff. If you even slightly devious, you can sneak in along with them and get a head start on your buying frenzy!

7. If you have the time, SoCal Speed Shop tour is a good one and about 5 minutes from the Fairplex. Tours are at 2 PM.

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

One whole area is all Volkswagen stuff, then another 2 or 3 rows is all toys and trinkets, then the last 20 or so rows is American car parts. Then the whole parking lot is cars for sale and display.

9. Crankhole

Crankhole

Bring sunblock.

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great advice.....bring lots of $$ too!

11. john walker

john walker

buy a space beforehand, then you get in with the vendors. get there @4am.

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Get there when the gates open, you won't have enough time to look at everything even if you last until the gates close. Parts are laid out in areas of interest, pick the section where you are looking for parts in and then hit that one first. You could spend all day in the car corral alone...especially being from a "rust belt" area, the condition of the cars will amaze you. You will have fun, just like the first time you went to an amusement park!

13. Don't forget to swing by In-N-Out for a Double-Double and fries. Not car related, but you gotta do it.

[​IMG]

14. papajohn

papajohn

My kids will be loving this!

15. Last couple of trips out I've been using the GPS a lot. Look up all the addresses of all the cool places you want to see before you leave; Moon, Limeworks, Early Ford Store, So Cal Speed Shop, Kennedy Brothers...plug them in as time permits and have a great time!

16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Oh man, you're killing me right before lunch time!

Highly recommended. Animal style is tough to beat.

17. toml24

toml24

For the first timer you should deside what would be more interesting to you: the swap meet venders stuff or all the vintage cars that come in and are on display. You won't be able to do both because of all the walking. I say pick one and have fun.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Shorts & Hats, Big Straw Hats

19. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

95 degrees 44% humidity
    be prepared
    watching the vehicles driving into to coral is a blast.

20. wallyringo

wallyringo

The swapmeet area right next to the enterence is all Volkswagon. and the cars on display near the enterence are VW, Porsche, Mustangs, just keep walking past all that stuff for the good stuff. bring good shoes and a hat and enjoy, see you there.

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Bring a hat, comfortable shoes, sunblock,LOTS of water and lots of money.

22. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

These guys took good care of you. Have fun!

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

it's going to be a very Hot weekend. There's a excessive heat warning for the area so be prepared. And if you want to have a nice cold one with some good grub, go to T.Phillips in La Verne. It's about one mile from the Sheraton Fairplex at 2335 D street, a few blocks north of Arrow Highway. Here's the link to their web site
    http://tphillipsalehouse.com/index.php
    If you continue on D street and go a few blocks past T.Phillips, on the left hand side is the Church used for the wedding scene from the movie "The Graduate"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  24. papajohn

papajohn

Well Pomona kicked my butt. Not just mine but the wife and kids butts too. Not as big as thought it would be, but the car corral was huge, rivals Carlisle. It was HOT, but fun. No great score, but some nice souvenirs and tshirts. Thanks for all the tips.

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you had a good time. Maybe for your next trip try February in San Diego for the Big 3 meet at Qualcom Stadium. The weather will certainly be better than back east (unless it rains which has been know to happen) and its a 3 day event and IMO is better than Pomona but I'm sure their are plenty who will disagree. Also, a wagon or someother means to haul your stuff around is always a good idea but tough to fit in your carry on bag.