Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerflight Issues!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nonstop, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Hi guys,

I just got my 54 Dodge up and running.....I FREAKIN LOVE THIS CAR!

I did run into a problem though.....

This car has sat for a long time. I rebuilt the brakes this week (pistons stuck in each cylinder and A LOT or sludge and junk in them).

I replaced the rear trans seal since it was leaking - brittle and there was a little sludge in there too.

I only give these examples to show the things being dealt with and possible internal conditions.....

Soooooooo, I took the car out for its maiden run. I checked the trans fluid and it did not register.....so I added Lucas treatment and 1 and a half quarts of ATF. Still not registering. I took it for a couple block drive. The trans would not shift into high. When I came back, I popped the hood and found ATF sprayed under the hood from the dipstick.....I am sort of stumped since these two symptoms contradict each other - I think?

Autos are taboo to me, and I am trying to figure out where to start. I searched, but could not find anything similar.

Please help me tranny gurus!!!

Thank you,

Nick

2. squirrel

squirrel

See if there's a vent tube on the transmission, it my have gotten plugged up by an insect. Or the vent could be in the dipstick itself, in which case there is another problem. Could be that if the fluid is low, it's getting aerated and then overflowing.

3. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Great, thank you, I will be all over that tomorrow.....I am hoping there is not a problem internally based on the condition of the other dried seals on the car!

4. squirrel

squirrel

You never know....but you'll find out, once you get a few miles on it. Also check that the linkage is all working and adjusted properly, having a shop manual helps.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Check the vent tube. Then check the TV rod and lever to see if this moves with the carb linkage. This rod, along with the governor will control the upshift. Make sure the fluid is where it needs to be. It might be wise to drop the pan and see what is in the pan. If you find alot of gray material, chances are the direct drive clutch is gone and will need replacing. (Mine first ate the governor because the speedo gear dropped into the box and onto the governor. After that was fixed, the direct drive died. Had the box rebuilt and after 20+ years, still good.)

6. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Thanks for the input on this one. So far, I have pulled the vent and it was clean. I rooted around with a screwdriver in the vent hole and it felt like it was covered with gasket material. That made no difference. I have dropped the pan and the fluid was a little sludge in the bottom, bu not much! The fluid was old and smelled of varnish. I added some fluid, but not flushed it yet. I also blew air through the governor port as recommended in one of the bulletins - nothing! I will pull pressures tomorrow.

My next step is likely to pull and clean the governor. I am guessing it possibly may be sticking. Is there anything else I might be overlooking? Oh yeah.....going to check linkages too!

Thanks!

7. 35desoto

35desoto

It is also easy to flush the convertor on those
    Drop the bottom screen on the bell housing and rotate the torque convertor - yoy will see a little brass screw/bolt in the outer casing - g=turn it to the bottom and take it out - voila

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You might want to do a pressure check at the direct drive clutch port, which I believe is on the drivers side near the front of the transmission. If the pressure goes up with the rear wheels lifted off the ground, and the engine accelerated up to 20 or so mph, then the governor is doing it's job. If not, then governor could be stuck or broken.

9. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I pulled the pressures from the powerflite today.....

The direct port is giving me 85 to 95 psi (within spec), but does not increase with speed!

I tried to pull from the governor port, but got no readings at any speed. Am I on the right track of it likely being the governor?

Thanks for all the help!

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Seems weird that the direct port is at spec, but is this reading after the car is at 20mph speed? If the direct port is at low or 0 at idle, then goes up after car speed is 20, then the direct drive clutch is probably gone.

Not having pressure at the governor port sure sounds like governor. Are you sure that you have the right ports for the pressure check? Is it possible that you have mainline pressure of 95 psi and not direct drive. I will look at my book and list where the ports should be.

If you can describe what ports (location) you measured, I can possibly narrow it down to the culprit.

11. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Thanks, I pulled it the pressures from the first port you described, which was 95 psi at all speeds, including more than 20 mph. I let off the accelerator and it dipped a little, then went back up to 95.

The governor reading I pulled was from the governor port near the tail shaft. I am suspecting the governor because it has been sitting for fifteen years or more and suspect it may be sticking.

I am clueless with automatic transmissions and appreciate the help!

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

That is a good starting point. Perhaps the direct drive clutch pressure port is on passenger side. The one on the driver's side is the mainline pressure and that will vary slightly as you observed.

But the direct drive clutch port will start at 0 psi then jump up to 60-90 psi when the upshift should take place. If it does jump up, but no upshift, then direct drive clutch is gone.

The air pressure trick at the governor port may help you out too.

Again, I will look at my manual and let you know this evening where direct port is really at.

14. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Hey, just wanted to follow up so hopefully it can help someone else (a lot of problems are never updated and threads are left unresolved). I got good readings in pressure ports except governor port.

I used the above links for help. Word of advice, the shop air trick is quite messy! I pulled off the tail housing and found the governor was stuck. Varnish formed through the trans. I cleaned it up and put it all back together. I now have direct!!!!! The trans does not shift by itself (have to manually shift from Low to Drive) or it starts out in Direct; although it IS a quart low now and needs the Berryman's flushed from it - that stuff loosened up a lot of shit!

I will hopefully fix it with the new trans flush and fluid!!! I am just happy as a pig in shit!

I will post any update I find!

Thank you for the help and recommendations!

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Just saw this thread for first time. My '54 DeSoto with Powerflite had exact symptoms: no upshift and spitting fluid out the dipstick tube. It was the governor. Replaced that and it works fine

16. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

Shouldn't the powerflite be running 30wt oil not trans fluid?

17. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

It should be type A - but I guess a lot of people including me are running dexron III.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Soiunds like the TV rod needs adjustment. Or the governor is still not right. My guess is the governor is allowing the upshift with TV pressure at it's minimum. I would check the governor pressure at idle and make sure it is to specs.

19. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Thank you,

Will there be any problems if I shift it manually for now? I want to fix it, but I am also itching to drive it!

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

light throttle up shifts should be at 11mph and above. full throttle at at 50 to 55, full throttle kickdown should be at speeds below 50. Are there electrical connectioins on the governor? make sure are corrosion free and tight.