Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thunderbirds as customs pictures is nothing sacred ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grazy, Aug 5, 2012.

1. grazy

grazy

I knew someone who inherited an old custom T-Bird and even at Hot Rod shows you always had at least one rude comment about it being modified. Why do some cars become sacred not to be touched ? Lets start a picture thread for cutomized & modified T-Birds lets see your favorites.

2. If you pay attention you will find that every car is sacred to someone. I think that T birds make good customs but there is a club for T birds just like there is one for about any other model of car and it will be full of ass hats just like any other club for whatever make of car you choose to chop up.

Watson did some real pretty T birds back when he was still doin that as well as many others. They were just good custom fodder.

3. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Ayala Bros I believe

Attached Files:

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Mr. Musico,That butt-ugly screw up of a descent car is one reason not to.Dang that almost classifies as an early *** rod.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. I like parts of it.

7. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

hahah wow, how do you really feel about it?

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

What year? I started a tbird folder, sure there will be stuff on riksters site too. there will always be someone who worships something.
    Maybe its just a poor custom? cant see any pics.

Attached Files:

9. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

There are so many of them out there it's a shame not to have more of them modified, and there are more than enough of them that are 90-100 point trailer queens. Mine is a one family, 50k mile survivor and I saw no problem modifying it.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. The museums and show trailers are all full. Cut, reshape, restyle, repeat. Make it your own.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And honestly, yours has all that needs to be done to one! Sooo cool. I always dug that late fifties performance/Spencer/Halibrand sport mag look! The mild custom that Dave Simnard has that Ryan featured the other day is another great example. I will have one or a similar equipped like year Corvette before I shuffle off...

12. Mines not so much custom , just lowered and wheel change. ImageUploadedByTJJ1344194192.354205.jpg

13. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Evidence Exhibit A.

The Prosecution Rests. :D

14. twochops

twochops

On mine I just removed the skirts, change the style
    of hubcaps then painted it maroon and enjoyed it.

TwoChops

Attached Files:

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I like T birds done as drag cars, those look pretty cool IMO. You have to remember that when these cars were being customized they were just another car. In 1966 I went to a car lot and could have bought a 57 Bird for $ 1200, an XK150 Jag for $ 1500, or a 63 Bonneville convertible for $ 1600. I bought the Pontiac because I needed the backseat for drive in movies. :cool::D

But the point is, T birds back then were not exactly iconic or sacred. Suzanne Somers changed all of that. :D

Don

16. Mine isn't really custom, just paint job, wheels and perfomance upgrades like disc brakes, r&p steering, lowered, 5 spd and cam.
    I've gotten a few rude remarks about it but mostly thumbs up and smiles.

[​IMG]

17. The problem with a car that already looks so custom is when you try to do more, it then becomes overdone. By that time it's too late. After that point, it doesnt matter how much talent or craftsmanship is there, it still over done and just becomes a riot of custom tricks. When was the last time you saw a nice looking riot?

18. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I don't agree that it's just TBirds. The corvette guys get all sideways about it too. It has a lot to do what people think or have been told as to what is most valuable by auction house or those that bid on the cars. But hey that's the people speaking.
    Original cars bring more money almost always. And if that's why you buy a car (to make money) then thats what you want.
    My car I will probly own the rest of my life, I've owned it since 1968 so far. I'ts not a custom but it sure ain't stock. And I'm more interested in keep it mine whatever that looks like as opposed to getting the most money out of it when I sell it.
    I also have to say I do like the way the birds look right outta the box, I like some personal touches without to much cutting em up. The Doan Spencer car or the Dave Simard car that some rave about are bodies close to stock, maybe with trim removed. some lowering, wheels and good engine work. my 2 cents.

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

I thought that it was the early (55-57) birds that were sort of sacred with the larger/later 4 door versions allowed as customs.
    I do believe that early birds are as near perfect as you can get and have yet to see any customs that took it to a higher level.
    - Some things you just can't improve upon but making 55-57 birds 'sacred' is a whole 'nother thing.

20. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

I've taken a real shine to '61-63 T-birds lately, so I was doing some searching on <em>Teh Google™</em> for pictures and ran across real nice and understated custom. I dig it...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

This is something i want to build someday i know i will get alot of flake for it but its my car and i want to build something different out of it i hope u like:cool::):cool::)

Attached Files:

22. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Now that is a pretty car....

[​IMG]

23. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I'm not a custom, or T Bird guy, but that is a very nice ride!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. slick a&t

slick a&t

A few from my saved pic's.

Attached Files:

25. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

26. Not to hijack the thread but where do you get the larger shannon cones like these ?

27. grazy

grazy

I love the rocket style T-Bird with the Starliner roof WOW ! ! ! [​IMG]

28. racemad55

racemad55

Very tasteful!

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Of course there is brandon penserini's bird which i believe has a fairlane roof.
    [​IMG]

30. Some cars, like the "bullet 'birds" are tricky to modify because they looked pretty well customized as they come off the assembly line. But there are exceptions of course if someone with a little taste approaches the job and shows some restraint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link to an old thread showing some other customized "bullet-'birds" and in my opinion some of them work better than others.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297139