Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yellow plug wires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66galwag, Aug 30, 2010.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, ESPECIALLY when its applied to cars!

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Most of the factory replacement sets were carbon core. Ever run a set for a couple months, then check the resistance with an ohm meter? I did.:eek: Hand me those yellow solid cores, stat!

3. johnod

johnod

Have you got a link I could have?

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

while we are on this subject, MSD swears not to use solid core or stranded copper core due to interference, if the car has no computer or high tech electronics,does this really matter? my MSD box is under the dash and away from the wires, I'm wanting to call BS on what they say, I'ts off topic for here but carburated with no computer or anything like it, the only thing I worry about is it uses an electronic ignition factory, it all fits under the cap like the aftermarket conversions, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders about this with an electronic ignition

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took som really old yellow wires off of a Mallory with the 2pc cap. They were copper core too. I might have em in the corner yet. If I find one I'll let ya's know what the logo is.

6. I have a customer doing a "period-build" on a 64 Chevelle. "Just like my dad's car back in high school". His dads an old high school friend of mine so I remember this car well.{Class of 1977} All that CRAP can still be had new. I know, because I sold it all to him ! Yellow wires,huge assed yellow coil,etc. etc. pretty much a full ACCEL ignition system. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I can still get "purple hornies". At least his dad had Cragar SS's on it with BFG radial T/A's. Instaed of centerline's with huge white letters like some tire brands had

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

vintagepartsusa.com probably has the best selection I've seen, I was searching them out for a couple of days, they also have the clear wires in addition to the cloth wires

8. Goatdave

Goatdave

Guys, guys, guys. Here's my Rallye 350 - those wires make the car look fast just sitting there. Goes great with the $20 Summit air cleaner.
    And I still have all my old 8 tracks - Zep, Sabbath, Tull, Santana, Bad Co, Foghat. Just need the right vointage matchbook to wedge in the player to make it work. Time to crank up the Jensen 6x9s and go for a Slow Ride!

Attached Files:

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Radial T/As are one item from that period I dont want ANYTHING to do with. God those tires were useless.
    This whole thread actually reminds me of a conversation I had with a buddy of mine back in the mid-nineties. I was building a few motors at that time for local street racers, and he wasnt really a part of the scene anymore, more a "cruiser" type on the fringes. He was laughing about this car he had seen on the street recently, referred to it as "that ugly POS with the mailbox on the hood". Just happened to be a car I had built the motor in. I just said "two weeks ago that that ugly POS with the mailbox on the hood went 10.98@121 in full street trim at Mission." Should have seen the look on his face...

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think the tread compound etc in the T/As is different now,they look the same but are a better tire

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think you are right, the compound has been changed, but they are still pretty useless. Even the current BFG Drag radials suck the hind tit. The M/T's and Hoosiers, even the Toyos are light years better. Back then, McCrearys were the hot tip. When we were choosing guys off, the guys with T/A's were considered "ducks".

12. G60x15's on the back, E70's up front. A goor "looking" combo with zero traction.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta love Foghat!! :D
    I've got an old (from the 70's:D) Foghat "live" cassette laying around somewhere... I gotta find it!...:D

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Can't believe nobody has taken a crack at the gawdy looking red MSD boxes used today .

15. Rogueman

Rogueman

Under the hood of my 50.
    [​IMG]

So I should take them off and maybe run this?

[​IMG]

Or maybe this?

[​IMG]

I ran those duel points for years. Replaced points, filed points. I loved the Vette duel point. Ran it in my 55 chevy.

Some of the comments on here i just don't understand.
    I got my first car in 67. We new what was cool then. Up in the back! We had speed shops on all the corners.
    I know the 50's were cool, but so was the 60's and 70's.

Everything goes around and comes around. I would not have put a white wall tire on anything I drove. I would have got laughed right out of town. Now they are back and cool. Nobody wanted a 49- 54 Chevy. Now they are cool.

I'll just keep my hood down.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing wrong with those.... I likes'em.. :)

17. bad4dr

bad4dr

Those yellow Accel wires looked good on my yellow '56...20 years ago. They went well with the dual point distributor and the big honkin' yellow Super Coil, too. Too bad it ran like yellow shit with that stuff, swapped in an HEI and later an MSD unit. Now I have black 300+ wires which work just fine, thanks.

18. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

I like em. He hates em. She digs em. Wrong color. Wrong era. 60's, not 70's. no wait...70's not eighties. Traditional, non traditional. And so on and so on and so on and so on, TILL WE DIE. Whatever. I'm bored.

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can hide an MSD box under the dash, they aren't just for looks they do something useful :D

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may not worry about interference but have some pity on the other guy, and the radios and TVs in the houses you pass. PS they can still give out tickets for this.

If it was me I would listen to what MSD has to say. If they were so stupid they didn't know their own products I wouldn't want one.

21. lawman

lawman

I love "Yeller" !!!!!

Attached Files:

22. I think I'll put a set of yellow accels and some hi-jackers on the 47 tudor I just got!

23. eticket

eticket

The truck is definitly o/t but its a 78 dodge macho pwr wagon, in fact my dad was the orig owner, and yellow wires look good on it we call her ol' yella :) (hey even the smiley is yellow)

Mike

Attached Files:

24. JEM

JEM

I had 'em in the mid '70s and I'm sure they'd been around a bit before that.

The rest of the '70s stuff - the slapper bars, the air shocks, etc - can go in the dumpster as far as I'm concerned, and I feel the same way about the chrome Cragar S/S wheels, but the Accel wires were fine - I don't care what color they are if they don't sacrifice functionality in the process, or represent pure dress-up crap without any functional benefit. Every mfr was grabbing their own color of silicone wire jacket back then, Mallory had red, Accel had yellow, etc.

Certainly not as bad as, say, using braided stainless sleeving over standard-issue rubber hose with hose clamps tucked inside fake AN hose-ends. That drives me over the edge. I am generally not a fan of shiny stuff on engines, anyway.

Frankly I always liked the Bougicord wires on my Saab 99EMS. Apparently, 'bougi' means 'spark' in Swedish. Bougi, bougi, bougi til you just can't bougi no more...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One day I went to pick up my vintage dirt car (the engine is in my avatar and the car is in an album). The guy who was driving for me then said, "Hey, I got new coil for you; it'll probably run a lot better." I took a look, and he had mounted a yellow Accel coil on my '65 vintage dirt car. It was off in 30 seconds. (I now have a period correct Cirello "Frankenstein" magneto so I don't have to worry about this kinda shit any more.)

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the reason I ask is I finally found someone who will do the black with red chaser cloth wires for me, but those type of wires are simply not made with spiral core, it's a particular look I'm looking for, I don't like the way many modern wires look, he swears he has made them for people with MSD and they work fine, I put both the box and rev limiter under the dash in the car, so they are shielded by the steel in the car , I've heard people say the copper core with multiple strands is ok but to avoid the wires with the single center strand

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yellow engine, yellow wires. What's not to like?

Attached Files:

28. JEM

JEM

Mamie Van Doren in Katy Perry's wardrobe?

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've ran them and the only complaint wasthat once they got dirty, theylooked like shit. I run black wires now. I do remember they were a "must have" in the 70's-80's.

30. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

We painted lots of white walls BLACK because only grandpa ran white walls. ;)