Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang that is one serious gun tractor!! Sure beats the shit out of our Mack's!!

Doc.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

WandyHarry: dad, my sister and brother "helping " with a jag head.
    About 1963

Norby: not enough of this going on today.

Jimi: Norby, truer words were never spoken, bro! I thought the same thing soon as WandyHarry's pix popped up. Unforunately, not only accurate but sadly poignant.:eek:

After 50,000 posts, Gary, YellerSpirit, RaceRon, Don -- SO many folks! -- just keep finding amazing pieces of the past that bring our history to life and relevance AND posting entertaining, informative commentary. Somebody(ies) commented that this thread is addictive. Ain't it the truth?:D

Allow me to cast a vote for these 2 pix of gearhead dad indoctrinating the youngsters into the INSTANT CLASSIC hall of this thread! Thanks to Ryan, Kevin and ALL contributors who work to keep it coming!:cool:

Trojan Horse likes this.
  5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Mike, my memory sucks anymore:p, but I seem to recall a thread on this last year or, maybe, 2010. And I do believe somebody asserted that a Borg-Warner 4-speed was an OPTIONAL offering that year by GM. (Obviously, lots of 4s have gone into '57s since then, but that's irrelevant.)

At least a couple of four-speeds, I believe, had been issued as early as the '20s, but you're really talking about the post-WWII era, I think, and strictly American-made. As for WHY four-speeds were not commonly available before the later '50s and early '60s, all I can do is GUESS that manufacturers tended to keep making standards to the standard three, while putting their real R&D energies and resources into improved automatics. If so, such an approach would have made sense for the MASS market while leaving guys seeking real speed out in the cold. Just my 2 cents, bro.:rolleyes:

Whatever, thank goodness for the sake of hotrodders, the trend changed relatively suddenly.:D

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

DueceDon: My start in gearheads!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    <!-- / attachments --><!-- sig -->__________________

Awesome pic, Don! :cool: My dad had a Whizzer. Anybody know WHEN the first ones were? :confused: Also, was any other company making a competing unit? Thanks!

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Rent A. Trip [​IMG]
    In the late 50th century
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Really? :p
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Darn tootin'! And in a gallaxy far, far away!

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Really, folks! Ya have to hand it to the guy, managing to look flat debonaire in this contraption!;)

9. On the icey streets of Mass, no less. Can you imagine backing a trailer with this?:eek:
    Chuck

10. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

"And I do believe somebody asserted that a Borg-Warner 4-speed was an OPTIONAL offering that year by GM."

Only for Corvettes in '57 and '58, the big cars in '59. Any big '57-8 cars that someone may have seen with 4-speeds have been retrofitted no matter what the owners may claim. Many were done by dealers back at the time who installed the Vette 4-speed transmissions.

11. Andy

Andy

The 58's for sure had factory installed 4 spds. Guy in high school got one. Black 348 tri power with a 4 spd. He thought the engine was not right so he blew it up on purpose. The 57's could be ordered with 4 spds but they came with the tranny in the trunk. A friend on here worked at the dealership and put a few in.

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

Could these mean anything? They did to me years ago.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

13. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There was at least one auto maker in Chicago that put four-speeds in all its cars back in 1948. I guess they were ahead of their time :D

14. Yeah, and the personnel who had to ride it too.

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

This really isn't that old of a photo...I took it back in the 80's I think. It's from The Herschell Carousel Museum Factory in Tonawanda, NY. A very cool place, that just happened to have two A's parked in front.

[​IMG]

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, TuckerFan. LOL. I didn't want to mention any makes prior to 1950, because I'd have to go dig for hours even to make a basic point. In point of fact, the 4-speed Cord trannies slipped my mind!

Brings up an interesting question (at least to me:p): Did all of the '36/7 Cords use the electric assist, or were some sold with straight stick-shift? Maybe other H.A.M.B. Cord afficionados will also join in on this.:cool:

By extension (of course), I'd need to ask YOU as our resident Tuckerfile if Preston converted all his Cord trannies to stick-shift, or did he ALSO use a semi-auto assist? May seem obscure, but WHEN will we ever examine this issue again?:eek:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  17. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's easy to date this one...that's me eyeing up a headlight for a future project. My mom is now closing in on 90.

[​IMG]

18. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

I work for a sign company that's been around since the early '50's. Here are a few old photos I dug up.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

52RAM108 likes this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Or its beginning as a bad a** slammed hot rod!

20. empire

empire

21. empire

empire

22. empire

empire

23. empire

empire

24. empire

empire

25. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

26. swi66

swi66

I have a similar picture with a bunch of Corvairs parked out front...go figure?
    :D:D:D:D:D

27. JackOfAllTradesRuss

JackOfAllTradesRuss

For information and history about the old Whizzer Motorbikes, check out www.whizzermotorbike.com
    In the little red box on left side, go to History. Very interresting information about the Whizzer Company and defence war board letting them keep on making Whizzer motorbikes during WWII for defence workers to buy, to get back and forth to work. Russ

28. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Sorry, that is absolutely incorrect. There were no factory 4 speed 57's or '58's. Corvette 4 speeds in the trunk do not qualify as factory-installed 4 speeds.
    We have been through this a bunch of times on one of the Chevy forums and this has been nailed down as the truth. What another guy you knew had doesn't qualify. No one has been able to prove that they personally ordered and purchased a full-size '58 with a factory installed 4 speed. There are all sorts of "I knew a guy...." stories.

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like repeating!!!---See what happens when you are 80????----HA!:D

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Jimi Shemi, there was a competitor named the "Marmon Twin" it was a 2 cycle instead of the Whizzer 4 cycle motor.
    The Whizzer kit for bicycles became popular during WWII because of gas rationing & saving the car for limited use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.