Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get Phosphoric acid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I know this has came up on here a million times but I'm getting to the point of going bezerk trying to find some. I live in the middle of Hillbilly-white-trash-nowheresville now and can't find it anywhere locally. (Walmart stopped carrying it and Lowes just sucks ass in general.)

Sometimes I miss living in a city...But not very often. :cool:

Anybody know of a good place to get it where I wont get raped on the price? (I'm not paying $60 a gallon like it is on ebay)

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tractor/Farm Supply.

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Know what brand name it would be? I tried calling about it earlier but I don't think the kids working there had any clue what I was talking about.

4. James Curl

James Curl

Home Depot in the paint dept.

5. 73RR

73RR

Muriatic acid is available from concrete construction supply houses if that will work for what ever you are doing...about $10/gal around here.

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Will muratic acid eat rust but not metal?

7. scrubba

scrubba

Yes , if left on, Muratic acid WILL eat metal ! Thats why it's either sold in Glass or heavy Plastic Jugs ! The Phosphoric acid is wayyyyyyyyyyyy safer to have around ya . Naval Jelley is really Phosphoric acid too....... scrubba

8. 73RR

73RR

...dilute it to a strength that works for what you need....

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

You can buy "Ospho" at a Sherwin Williams paint store.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I used muriatic acid on my body panels, out side on a crushed stone pad fro my sotrage building, the stuff was eating at the limestone also. Wear lots of protcetive stuff if you decide to use muriatic, and it stinks I guess its supposed to help you stay far enough away from it. Rinse your pieces thoroughly then pickle them with ospho.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

12. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'll have to stop by there and see if they have it. Ospho is an acid and not a converter right? Thats what I need. (the green stuff)

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I bought a gallon of phosphoric acid at Ace Hardware. I think it was around $9.

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I took my interior out this morning and ripped my 50 year old tuck and roll side panels (of course) in the rear. I'm going to acid my floors while everything is out and get it cleaned up. I need to do some patching underneath and in the trunk too. Looks like the project has started snw balling like a knew it would, thats why I've been putting off doing body work on my car for the last 6 yrs and just driving the piss out of her. No turning back now, time to figure out how to do tuck n roll too I guess.

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Got it from Sherwin Williams. They had a straight etching solution (phosphoric acid) and they can order OSPHO. I got a gallon of each, and used the etching solution on some rust spots in my floor boards yesterday to keep them from turning into holes, A couple hours of scrubbin' and I had bare metal where rust once lived.

16. advance auto parts, in a quart bottle. it is the same thing as ospho. when i lived on the coast in fla, we sprayed it on all rusty metal. sprayed another f-1 frame last nite.

17. I buy Phos acid at my local Ace hardware. It's sold as rusty metal cleaner or concrete cleaner. I wouldn't mess with muriatic acid on ferrous metal. Even the vapor rust everything near it. Phosphoric acid, on the other hand, will protect metal from rust for quite a while. You'll want to make sure to remove it completely before paint though. The Epoxy primer I use says it will cause adhesion problems if not completely removed. Maybe other brands are different, I dunno.

18. Warren Cucarullo

Warren Cucarullo

19. Shorty

Shorty

Home Depot in the concrete and fencing department. Called "Concrete Clean and Etch" by Sikaguard.

20. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Have you tried citric acid. Little more user friendly, and cheap by the 5kg bag. Just a handful mixed in a drum of water. 2 to 3 days and your parts are like new.
    Or if your keen to squeeze hundreds of lemons...?????? also works.

21. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm going to be doing pretty much the whole underside and the floor pans in my car to get them all clean. I have rust and I'm on a mission.

22. 80 grit sanding discs are your friend.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I was just watching a show on tv, Modern Marvels, and the subject was soft drinks. One soda fountain they featured made a drink that used a teaspoon of phosphoric acid in it to give it a sour taste !!! :eek: It must be safe, but I sure wouldn't be trying one any time soon.

I get my phosphoric acid at Home Depot in the paint dept. (But I use it for derusting car parts, not to drink)

Don

24. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

If you are trying to get rid of rust try Evapo-Rust. It really works, is environmentally friendly, and reusable. It is available a Harbor Freight and online (do a google search). it is the best stuff I have found.

[​IMG]

25. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

I stole this from Wikipedia:
    Rust removal
    Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe<SUB>2</SUB>O<SUB>3</SUB> (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO<SUB>4</SUB>.
    "Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.
    After treatment, the black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance (such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes).

In a past like I used a dilution of basically soap and phosphoric acid in water to prepare sheetmetal panels for painting. The prewash left a light ferric-phosphate coating on the panels. The primer adhered very well to it.

26. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

just sprayed 2 coats of it on the bottom of my frame, floor pans, a arms, etc. So I'll see if it actually works. It's already turning a lot of it back to black from nasty brown.

27. jazzbum

jazzbum

i like naval jelly because it sticks to stuff and doesn't run off as readily as straight phosphoric acid--you can leave it on and let it go to work instead of scrubbing at it for hours. evaporust works too but not as well in my experience.

28. flathead jack

flathead jack

ice machine cleaner has that acid in it 20.00 a gal

29. GerryO

GerryO
    from San Jose

Glad to hear that you got the right stuff (H3PO4), as vinegar is acetic acid (CH3COOH) and muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid (HCl). All very different and HCl is the nastiest of the three.

30. blackout

blackout

I also have read that the acid must be completely removed (washed off) prior to paint.