Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chrysler Windsor disc brake conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bloody Knuckle, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Bloody Knuckle

Bloody Knuckle

Hello everyone. I was thinking of doing a front disc conversion on my '49 Chrysler Windsor 2dr. I was looking at the Scarebird web site. They have a kit for '49-'54 Dodge, Plymouth w/11" drums. Does anyone know if the Chrysler spindles are the same as the Dodge and Plymouth of the same year?

Also, any feedback on this company and kit would be welcome. Thanks.

2. call mark at scarebird and ask him about a kit for your vehicle. Can't say enough good about Scarebird and their products, first class service and top quality brackets and follow up service. Feel confident about spending your money with them.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

No they are a different suspension. Plymouth/Dodge had a lot in common, so did DeSoto/Chrysler but the heavy cars had a completely different setup from the smaller jobs.

4. Bloody Knuckle

Bloody Knuckle

Thanks. Any suggestions on a kit or components to do a disc swap?

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know who makes a disc brake conversion, if anybody does.

The stock brakes are pretty good, in fact state of the art for the times. They need to be set up properly but if everything is working the way it should be you should be OK.

6. I have provided scarebird with spindles for building prototypes and if you contact Mark he may be able to build you a setup. One thing to bear in mind wheel bearing sizes used are usually common off the shelf plus the seals. spindle length seems to be one of the larger challenges for a disc conversion.

7. Bloody Knuckle

Bloody Knuckle

Would you have a contact number, the web site does not have a phone number.

8. samurai mike

samurai mike

try rustyhope.com

9. 73RR

73RR

Big second on calling Charlie. He is on this board as olddaddy.

10. X2! i have talked with him and besides hearing good feedback he seems to have a love for old mopars!:rolleyes::D

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have heard Rustyhope had a conversion for Plymouth which will fit a Chrysler if you use Plymouth spindles.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I have had, and currently have, several MOPARS, including '49 Plymouth, '53 Plymouth, '53 Dodge and '55 Chrysler.

The suspension and brake designs are essentially the same design among all of them, BUT they do differ as to dimensions. Tie rods and shock placement differ but they are not germain to this discusison.

My Plymouth has 10" brakes, some Dodges are 11" and the Chrysler is 12". The attach points on the spindle for the backing plates are taller (farther apart) for each of the increases in brake diameter, so none of the major components interchanges.

But they are twin leading shoe on the front and, as Rusty says, very effective when properly setup. That said, the disc conversion is far simpler to deal with than the original system.

Ray

13. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Correct. We also have a setup for the 12" drum but it is completely different than the smaller spindles.

Sorry about the phone - most of the time I cannot get to it. Please email direct [email protected] and will answer all inquiries (well, most).

14. James Curl

James Curl

Old Daddy AKA Charlie at Rusty Hope acquired a pair of Chrysler spindles and now has a kit for the big brakes. He posted on P-15 D-24 forum that he can now supply brackets for them.

15. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Try AAJ disc brake set up. Very good company

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Steering is a different design, Plym and Dodge had 2 tie rods off the steering box, Chrysler and DeSoto had a big bell crank, a drag link, and 2 tie rods. Spindles etc larger and different part numbers. There may be some confusion on my part as I am more familiar with Canadian cars, in which Dodge and Plymouth shared more parts than on US cars. But my understanding was that there was a very heavy suspension used on Chrysler Imperial, Chrysler station wagon and limousine, DeSoto limo and 8 passenger Suburban sedans, then a heavy suspension for Chrysler and DeSoto 6 cylinder cars, and a lighter one for Plymouth and Dodge.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

When I did the conversion on my 41 Plymouth, I used Brake Tech Solutions, I would absolutely use them again. I sent them my spindles, they did all the machine work, and sent them back assembled. They sent me residual valves and Master cylinder as well. Super affordable, and this is the best part....
    The tech guy called me as my spindles where being machined, and during assembly, letting me know everything was good. Then before sending them back he called me, letting me know they where heading back, and if there was a day of preffrence for delivery......To me thats customer service....