Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irishman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Irishman

Irishman

For the last while I've been hmmming and ha-ing about taking the doors off my 47 Stylemaster.

The problem was that I had issues getting them aligned correctly on another vehicle I had when reattached. But it's been bugging me since I wasn't happy with how the door jams were turning out in regard to paint removal and I knew I had some repair work to do on the bottom of one of the doors.

I had a few attempts at removing the large philips screws on the hinges with no success (regular screwdriver and manual impact driver). Each time I just walked away (using the unsuccessful attempts as a convenient excuse to just not do it).

Yesterday it just annoyed me too much and I took the air impact wrench to them with a large philips bit.

Man, those puppies just came right out!

Sometimes the old motto of if a job is worth doing... holds true.

Now, if this blasted heat would go away I can get on with paint prep.

Attached Files:

2. I laerned a long time ago to drill some small pilot holes to get doors back in the correct position when removing them,,going back together is then a piece of cake! HRP

3. couvy

couvy

Another trick for installing doors is to screw a headless bolt in an upper and lower mounting hole. This takes the load of you while starting the other screws or bolts. Couvy

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

5. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

This is a great tip and can be used in other applications as well.