Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 buick engine swap. OPINIONS GREATLY APRECIATED!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57specialfodo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 57specialfodo

57specialfodo

I truly love this old girl, the origianal 364 nailhead runs perfect and she drives decent. but after hard times and kids grown up Im ready to do some drag racing again. Ive been thinkn about selling the 364 and swapping in the buick 455 and th400 I already have. should be a low 13 to high 12 second combo. waddya think? im still on a tight budgit. Sell, Trade,or go for it?!
    Thanks Kevin

2. 504640

If you decide to make the swap, let me Know. I may be interested in buying the nailhead to swap into my 40 ford. I would like to listen to the engine in the car and drive the car before the engine is yanked, though. Of course if that materializes, I'll be the one on line asking for advice!

3. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

If it was me I would drop in the 455 and try not to do any damage that can't be undone. Since u have just about everything I say go for it. keep the nailhead and in 10 years when u just want to cruise just put it back. Or having a spare nailhead laying around is a good excuse to find a basket case hotrod.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Keep the car with a nailhead and find something lighter to put the 455 into for drag racing. The Buick is cool as is.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The 57 Buick is a torque tube rear end and any engine/transmission swap like that is going to necessitate a new rear end and suspension work. It will not be an easy or cheap (money and/or time) swap. Personally I'd look for a cheap car sans engine and trans to turn into a drag car rather than trying to turn the 57 into one.

6. oj

oj

Don't even do it. Trying to drag race your cruiser is just dumb, it is not a race car and never will be one just like an olimpic weight lifter should never try to do wind sprints.
    If you want to race then get a decent body and take your time to build a nice race car. Something that will get you down the track lickity-split and set your ass back in the seat.
    I see people do this all the time, i built race cars for many years and still do the odd one, people minimize as to what they want - 'i just want to go 12's' and then they'll want to see 11's, next thing you know they need a rollbar because they're too quick and within an couple years the sweet little street cruiser ain't worth dicksquat as a street car because of the race shit and it is a pisspoor excuse of a racecar because of the street stuff and the poor car has 'gender confusion'.

7. bmax65

bmax65
    from usa

Hi 57-

Man, I'd keep the Nailhead. I think it's great you wanna keep it Buick. But in a 57, I think a 455 is too modern. If it was mine, I'd freshen up the 364, maybe put 3 two's or dual quads on it. It is a big car, and you might have to cut it up to go real fast.

If I was to go crazy, I'd get a period blower setup for it, like the guy on here with the Nailhead Falcon- not so much to punish it at the strip, but I love period blower stuff- a 6-71 with a v-belt drive, and a pair of AFB's or 3x2 would be a real underhood suprise.
    I have no clue, but I bet even a mild, pump gas blown Nailhead might make 425hp??
    Think you could have fun with that.

But hey, it's your rig- not to say you can't make any car fast, how much money and cutting do you wish to do to it? Just my .02. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with her, it's a sweet looking car.

8. 57specialfodo

57specialfodo

yes i know its a tourque tube. its also a four door. I have an above average skillset the drivetrain swap would not be a problem for me. just asking opions should I or shouldnt I? been thinkn bout swappin for a suitible project thats a little less work. I also have a pontiac engine to build.. I prefer Body/engine match.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

64 or 65 skylark would make a better drag car and keep the 57 for a cruiser.

10. sbin

sbin

I am building a 65 425 nailhead from a Rivera for a 56 Buick Special.
    Not a race car but should liven it up some.