Register now to get rid of these ads!

new spindles made in china

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by man-a-fre, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

My neighbor bought some new 37-41 ford spindles recently from a vendor at a swap meet,they are professional products made in china,i can't believe he did this with the quality of metal coming from China and the original known quality spindles are still fairly plentiful and are proven metallurgy .Just doesnt make any sense to trust your life and car to an unknown in my opinion .Does anyone feel the same or am i just worrying about somthing that is no big deal.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. Ole don

Ole don

String a wire through a hole so the new part can hang free. Rap it with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, run it. If the hammer says "thunk", send it back and buy a real part.

3. don't you know? New is always better.....;)

4. I agree. but l;ook at this way. China has a space program, we do not. Like some bizzarro planet shift!?

5. China products are better than nothing, but they would be my last choice if there is anything else available.

6. F&J

F&J

Some inexperienced people think that any "new" part is better than a 70 year old used part. That's their problem, until it breaks and they hit you.

Dumb move IMO. Throw in the trash, or better yet, bury it, so it does not go back there to get melted into another shit part.

7. JEM

JEM

The Chinese have the technology (we can argue for weeks about how they get it) to do anything well - and an old spindle isn't exactly high-tech. The issue is getting them to do so when there's financial incentives to cut corners. Stringent QC is critical to avoiding 'quality fade', and sometimes the sales/marketing outfits selling the stuff don't even know what to check.

But, yeah...good originals aren't exactly hard to come by.

8. Yes, I didn't elaborate, you did. I have been involved in some overseas production. They will make it as shoddy or as perfect as you demand (and can loom over them to make sure it is right)

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Spindles from China are for the 1-800 folks,I'll spend the money to have Henry's spindles Magnaflux tested, then run them if they pass. Bob

10. Might be a good match, for the cast axles that are snapping.

Then it would be a race, to see which one snapped first.

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad---But true!---FYI, 80% of all bearings,races,etc. are FOREIGN MADE,---Including CHINA!

12. 117harv

117harv

With all do respect to the OP, any thread that has the word China in the title will have a short life:cool:

13. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

......and everyone is wondering why there is no jobs here......:rolleyes: just my 2 cents

14. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

I agree...magnaflux a Ford part.

15. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

You get what you pay for...

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yea but, how many of you drive foreign cars....

17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

My experience at Fox with suspension products coming from China is the 1st batch or two is OK, but after that the tolerances go off. I suspect the same will be true with the metallurgy. They just can't hold specs over time. In relation to spindles, that would worry me in high speed corners. :confused:

18. You guys crack me up. I agree, with so many FORD spindles out there, why risk it?

Whats funny to me, as soon as you guys hear China, its instantly trash, BUT as soon as someone asks where to buy parts, there is always an overwhelming response that says Speedway. Where do you think that crap comes from so cheap????

19. it's sad to hear this news , i was hoping that hot rod parts could remain 100% USA made.....but that is just wishful thinking in this day

but i always wondered why anyone uses reproduction spindles when there are still original Ford spindles plentiful. i every car i have built for myself i have used originals with the built in forged steering arms. i think that looks much better than any bolt on arm

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not everything from China or Speedway is crap. As for them taking jobs away, maybe if Americans could live without a union getting them paid 3X what a job is worth or having a 15 minute break every two hours, parts could be made here instead of abroad. We made our own bed and have to sleep in it. Hell, we don't deserve a space program. We can't fix the shit on earth.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Most parts come from china or mexico today ! Personally I do my very best to avoid any parts made from those 2 places . There are so many good spindles out there so why would someone buy the shit made today from overseas when you can get good ones at just about any swap meet around ! Saw some today at a swap meet /car show I was at !
    I think he made a really bad choice and big mistake buying new ones from china , but then that's me . His car , not mine !

Retro Jim

22. iamdiffrnt

iamdiffrnt

:confused:

I don't post much, but apparently you haven't been paying much attention to the news over the last few years as it applies to unions and manufacturing. What you are talking about is long gone, and the only place it may still apply is in parts of Europe (and don't expect it to stay that way for long). The fact is even with the higher costs in labor producing here, generally the savings are pennies per part. The rest is lost to poor quality and shipping. Personally I would have no problem spending an extra few hundred dollars on a $40,000 vehicle if it had no chinese parts.

Anyways I'll keep running my USA made spindles until I have no other choice.:)

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

classic!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Eh, I'm just tired of people bitching about China, when it's not always thier fault. There's quite a bit of USA stuff that isn't worth a damn.

25. McKee

McKee

The 20' chrome wheels on the new Cadillac Escalade are made in China,... just sayin'.,.... and Chinese Astronauts?,... there's gotta be a joke there somewhere.

26. I think it is the vendeors who demand cost to be cut & they are not too concerned about quality as long as they can sell it cheap & make a good profit.
    I recently rebuilt the rearend in an old tractor. replaced all the bearings needed or not. I beleive it was a total 6 bearings & the cost from the the parts house would have been in the neighborhood of $300.00. I went on line & bought the bearings from VXB bearings & had them in my hands the second day & a very good quality product for $62.00 total for all the bearings & the shipping.
    Another one are the conversion bearings on the front spindles of the C-1 vette. Parts houses want 200.00 or more & you can but the same bearing from china mfg for a couple bucks apiece.

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

When bad products are made in China and get bad press the Chinese government has in some cases executed the CEO's of those companies for bringing disgrace. Here when an American CEO replaces experienced workers with cheap help and things go to crap and the companies start losing profits the CEO get canned and leaves with a huge muti million dollar severance check,makes you wonder who has a better incentive plan?

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The punch line is going to be when the second or third generation coming up will have to learn Chinese to be successful. We love to shoot ourselves in the foot and blame the gun.

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

The adjustable spring perches I just got from speedway were made in Indonesia!:eek: I will admit the quality looks good but it's just the thought...Indonesia? Just sayin.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My 3 yr old daughter already speaks Vietnamese & English fluently, recently, some of the elementary schools around here have run experimental Mandarin immersion programs. I hope it is available when she finishes pre-school, if it is, I will sign her up for it. Dead serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.