Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the value on a merc flathead motor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilclay81, Jul 28, 2012.

1. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

I have an all stock mercury flathead motor was just wondering price wise what there worth.

2. It might be nice if you would post what year.

Charlie Stephens

3. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

Came out of a 1949 mecrury 2 dr.

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

How good does it run? Any cracks? How about a picture, a picture is worth a 1000 words to see how complete it is and how well it was taken care of, sometimes.

Most of the time you can fetch more $ for the crankshaft and it already done from the machine shop along with the block and all the receipts and information and what they were cut to.

See its a gamble, a costly one, for some to buy a flathead motor without having it checked for cracks.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If it runs, doesn't have any cracks and is "all there" $750 is fair ,I think.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who's buying, who's selling and how bad the buyer wants one.

Unknown quantity = Core price Known running engine that has passed a compression test has decent oil pressure and has passed the crack test 700 sounds about right.

I paid 400 for a running 8BA two years ago and thought I came out pretty good on it. It still had antifreeze in the cooling system when we pulled it out of the Jeep wagon it had been in for over 30 years.

7. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

I have it complete from carb all the way to the pan. I would have to get pictures. I took the top end off cause the motor was frozen . So i put oil in the cylinders to try and get it spinning again. I got it for free from my uncle up in minnesota.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

FREE is always GREAT ! Well you can always pull the crank and get your moneys worth from that . Being frozen is always a problem even if it get to move freely again . Rebuilding one isn't cheap .
    Salvage the crank and rods if you can . You might want to check the block out just in case you got really lucky !

Retro Jim

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

$5000 for a good one. A really, really good one. One that was rebuilt with all the right hot rod parts by a well known flathead guru, all ready to run, everything brand new. In other words a really, really good flathead.

If it's not that good, $100. If the rod is sticking through the block, or the block is cracked, pieces are missing and broken, and if it has been sitting outside in the mud for 10 years maybe $25 or if it is not that bad, $50. Or more. Or less, depending on condition.

Somewhere in there. Somewhere between $25 and $5000. Definitely between $25 and $5000.

10. 1952henry

1952henry

What he said. Stuck engine surely brings price way down.

11. flatjack

flatjack

I won't pay more than around $125 for a core engine, even a Merc. Bought one last year, yeh it had a Merc crank, but it had been ground .030/.030 and was badly worn. Try finding .050 or .060 bearings.