Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quarter Panel from scratch should I start over?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Hey guys I had to make a half a qtr Panel for my Dodge. I dont have the correct bead size for my El Cheapo Bead Roller. My question is there a better way or should I keep beating away at this.
    Here is what I did I do home improvements also so after I traced the passenger side onto a piece of paper and cut it out. I then flipped it over and traced it on a piece of 2 x 12 and then used my HF router and a 1/2 in bit and cut out the pattern. I call it my Amish Quarter Panel jig. It kinda turned out ok but Harsh and will require a layer of filler and you can see the splits I have cut in it to do the well area. I have to weld up the splits maybe I should have made another wood jig so I could pound out the well instead of cutting it.

ANY BETTER IDEAS or just keep on it? Is ther someone that can make me a new nice piece with some real tools. I can send you this piece for a sample. THANK YOU

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

The only thing I can add; Where you are bending metal back under the curved bead edges; try not to have that much extra, so you don't need to piecut., Or as in one pic, it's all wavy on the extra metal.

When you bend into a wheel opening with a new quarter panel, concentrate on the bead size and proper locations.(those are more important) Don't worry if you can't add a lot of extra metal to tuck inside the wheelhouse. You should make the wheelhouse from another piece(s)

I say keep at it. Learn some skills rather than farm it out. Even if you can't ever get a huge panel made in one piece, these new skills from trying, will make small panels so easy to make. It just grows from there as far as skills.

3. mlagusis

mlagusis

I say keep going. What you have done so far looks good. Just stop after each step and see what you can do next go around to improve and see if can apply to your next step.

4. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I made a quarter for my Ford. It took me 3 times to get one that looked useable. I am still not happy with it. I fiqure i will use it and hope someone will start to repo them.
    Waldon speed shop told me they would build a quarter for $600.

Looks like you are doing a good job. I would say keep at it!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

5. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

I will keep hammering away. I will cut the extra from the well part and use another piece that makes alot more sense. The well is wrinkled so I will start a new piece and join them

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

That looks GREAT for your first go at panel building!:)

As F&J said, don't worry bout the edge/ flanges so much. Maybe build the wheelhouse from a hammerform complete with a nice clean radius to but weld up to your good lookin quarter?

Keep at it!

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

7. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thanks Pimpin Paint

8. I'd keep it. Looks good. Like FJ said keep that return you are bending as short as possible. You can shrink that up if its not too long, or but weld it on after

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're doing fine. Just keep at it. You've come a long way already. It's metal. Need more? Weld some on. Less? Cut it. Fun huh?

10. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Keep the pictures coming. I would like to see how it turns out and the process you use.

11. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

That looks good. Don't stop now,you're doing fine. Better than I could do.

12. sheesh

sheesh
    from canaduh

for a "first" panel? lol print the pictures and frame them! off to a great start

13. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thanks I will post more pics of progress I going to get after it today!

14. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

The first is the old quarter panel. It was about 1 1/2 inward compaired to the good driver side. So i hammered it and it now is so thin and splitting so thats why I thought I would try this
    I will use as little as possible so I dont have to fight the curve unless you guys think I should ?

I trimmed off the access like you guys recommended then put it back in the Amish Quarter Panel Jig and did some more hammering then I realized hammer the top sids and the bottom would raise and my pie cuts were splitting more. So I hammered them back down and tacked them. I ground them smooth and started back at it

Attached Files:

15. F&J

F&J

I would use as little as I could from the new panel, or in other words, save as much of the old as you can.

The reason is, that if that heavy compound curve/crown at the tail of the quarter is not quite right, you will fight trying to match the two after cutting the old.

What I am trying to say, is if you only have to use a couple inches away from the new fender well bead, that few inches is easier to shrink, or to stretch, to get a good fit to the old panel.

Hopefully others will give some more input, because your work looks really "effing good" for a first time panel, no fooling. Hate to see you cut it wrong, so look for more advice here.

16. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thank You I agree the least as possible of the new panel and I dont have the tail completly correct. I plan on taking a long look before i even think about cutting. I took several weeks of looking and marking off the chop top before I cut. Thats was my first chop also Scary so I took my time worked great though Knock on wood LOL

17. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Good results on that first run. Did you lose much depth in your swag where you curved the panel?

18. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

I did then beat it out again. Still going to take some more work on that part. You can see were it buckled out on me above the swag line. I actually used a 4x4 fence post with rounded corners to bend it. Thanks