Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 60 elcamino owners question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomd, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kustomd

kustomd

I have an Idea for a build and I need some Info on the doors. Are elcamino doors the same length as a 2dr sedan? Or are they like a 4dr door? I know the top of the door is elcamino only.

And does anyone have a full on side pic of just the door of a 60 elcamino. I'd really apreciate it. I found some pics of whole cars just not close ones of the door.

Next I gotta locate a pair of them if they will work.

2. kustomd

kustomd

No one. Could anyone measure the door on their elcamino for me? just across the middle so I can see how long they are. I have a friend with a 2dr hardtop car I can measure to see if they are about the same length or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. I believe the doors are the same as the 2 dr length, but as you stated have the El Camino specific top. I am going from memory on both my 59 and 60 El Camino's it seemed the door length was longer than a 4 door and about the same as 2 door. Soprry both are long gone now and I can't measure specifically for you.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The 2 door sedans are the same, only the window frame is different.

5. kustomd

kustomd

Ok thanks. I'll see if I can get a measurement off of my buddies 2dr hardtop next time im over there.

After looking at the frame in my 4dr I noticed it looks like there are only a few spot welds that hold the frame in the door I wonder if I could cut up a couple 4dr frames and add them to a set of 2dr hardtop doors to make them into sedan doors?

6. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

What are you plans for the El Camino? Don't think I've seen a chopped 59/60. I've got a 61 Impala I want to turn into an El Camino.

7. kustomd

kustomd

I'm not building an elcamino. I've had a 4dr sedan impala I've been driving for the past 12-13 years and its due for a redo. Ive had an Idea for a build first thing is I've got turn the car into a two door sedan but I wanted to give it slanted B pillars like the elcaminos have and I want to chop the car similar to the two door hardtop 59 or 60 buick that david guymon chopped several years ago.

The only thing I want to change that some other folks might not like is I'd like to change the back glass when I chop it. I want to take out some of the green house effect. So I've been trying to come up with smaller back glass Ideas that I can come up with.

I've considered using a 49-52 chevy fleetline fast back rear glass but I've got a few other ideas. I like the look of the 63-4ish galaxy 2dr hardtop rear glasses. I'm just tired of burning up from all the glass in the summer.

I'm also planning a 3" chop using a 2dr hardtop windshield which is about 2" shorter in height give or take a little. Then I planned on possibly sinking the windshield another 1"

At one time I had measured the windshield height on and elcamino, 4dr sedan, 2dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, station wagon, 4dr hardtop, sedan delivery. What I found if I remember correctly was the 2dr hardtop windshield and the 4dr hardtop flat roof cars had the same size windshields which were around 2" shorter than the sedans and elcaminos.

I've figured up most of all my cuts already to get the roof down where it would look nice and hopefully not look squished. I have a complete parts car and alot of extra parts to use in order to do the build its just alot of metal work but I'm not afraid of some metal work. Every project I've had needed extensive metal work it seems like lately.

I want it to be a nice clean custom car. My car already has alot of mild custom touches like pontiac bonneville tail lights and a custom grill that may get changed if I can find a 60 merc grill and headlights for it that are reasonable.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

El Caminos are based on the Station Wagons.

9. As far as I know all 59-60 Chevy 2-door the actual inner door is the same and they're the same length front to back - hardtop, convertible, sedan, 2-door wagon and El Camino. The top and vent window are seperate pieces and differ from hardtop to sedan.

10. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

sounds like a cool project, you are correct with the glass, all gm 59-60 2 door hardtops and convertibles with the exception of the cadillac/buick 6 window hardtop have a 2 inch lower windshield.
    if you go the extra inch, you will need to trim about a 1/2 inch across the top of the windshield, then as it lays back, about a 2x6 triangle off the bottom rear corners.

the 2 door doors are all the same 60 chev ht, sedan, elcamino,and delivery/2dr wagon.
    the hardtop doors have an inner brace welded on the top of the inner structure (from vent window to door lock) that the sedan style doors do not have. all three sedan style doors use the hardtop shell, and have the sedan pillar welded into them.
    the delivery/2 door wagon doors are different than the sedan doors, the top by the roof remains flat, while the sedan slopes to the back.
    It is a real bitch to get the sedan pillar out , but it can be done, I turned the doors on my elcamino into the hardtop style.

Attached Files: